Running Information Forums
5k in Sub 25 minutes - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 5k in Sub 25 minutes (/Thread-5k-in-Sub-25-minutes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 13-06-2012

Hi Sal, some people wear a very thin shirt and place their heart rate monitor over the shirt, these also seems to help

you rest pulses were consistent, over time we will get the pulse ranges in order

nice session

what have you planned according to the program, please? The reason I ask, is to see whether you able to plan accordingly. work on the principal with the program of one day hard one day easy

some of your easy days can be no running

will await your response

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 13-06-2012

I was planning on sticking closely to the program (unless you advise otherwise), so;

Today 30mins easy
Thursday 30mins easy
Friday Rest, ready for weekend session;
Saturday 5k paced
Sunday 10k in distance easy (that will probably be around an hour and 6 minutes for me)

What pace should I be aiming for on the Saturday?

Regards

Sal

OK .. however for now I would prefer if we play it safe for the first cycle and have more rest in-between the quality sessions

in the next cycle we can start working more closely to the exact format with the easy runs becoming inclusive

is this OK with you?

pace for 5k .. 27:30 .. if you feeling comfortable over the final 1k then you can accelerate

this OK and understandable?

Cheers

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 13-06-2012

Think I was just being a bit eager!

Having read other threads your advice is always spot on, so I'm more than happy to follow anything you suggest - so today will be a total rest day.

In terms of Saturday I'll try and average the pace at 5:30 per km and as you say see how I feel for the last 1k.

I'll report back on Saturday with an update - maybe Sunday might need to be adjusted accordingly. At my easy rate it will definately take longer than an hour to do 10k, so maybe I should just do an easy 60mins (similar to last Sunday)?

Regards

Sal

great Sal ... according to how you feel on Saturday, you can cut Sunday back to 20 to 30 minutes .. recovery, relaxed

enjoy

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 16-06-2012

Hi The Ed

Completed the 5k paced run this morning in 26:45, here are the individual 1k splits:

1km - 5:25
1km - 5:23
1km - 5:26
1km - 5:19
1km - 5:12

Still getting used to pacing myself. I was aiming for 5:30 for the first 4, but all were a bit fast. I'm a slave to the garmin, constantly checking and either speeding up or slowing down. I guess after a few more cycles and a bit of experience, i'll get better at managing my pace.

It was hard work but felt OK and I was able to keep going and speed up a little bit for the final 1k.

Regards

Sally

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 16-06-2012

nice going Sal .. your approach is simple and sensible regarding gaining experience

onwards and forwards

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 17-06-2012

Hi The Ed

Legs felt OK today so did an easy recovery run - 4k in 27 minutes.

My race is next Sunday, so this is what I was planning for the rest of the week:

Monday 30mins easy
Tuesday 3 x 5 mins with 1 min easy
Wednesday Rest
Thursday 30 mins easy
Friday Rest
Saturday Rest
Sunday Race

How does this sound?

In terms of the 3 x 5 - should I try to keep a pace at 5:15?

Any suggestions or alterations to the week ahead just let me know.

Kind regards

Sally

5k in Sub 25 minutes - TheEd - 18-06-2012

this looks good for your coming week, just a few changes .. Rest 3 minutes between the 3 x 5 minutes, so you can get a boost and keep the pace around 5 minutes to 5.15 per k

On Thursday, you can do a 6 x 1 minute fast with 1 minute easy .. a light warm up and then light warm down

in the future cycles, this session would be 2 days before the event and would hope to work as a psychological boost

if you feel your development is coming along nicely then you could consider doing 20 minutes easy on Thursday and then doing the 6 x 1 min fast / slow on the Friday

entirely up to you?

TheEd

5k in Sub 25 minutes - Sal - 21-06-2012

Tuesday's 3 x 5mins, went well:

1st 5 mins at a pace of 5:03km
2nd 5 mins at a pace of 5:06km
3rd 5 mins at a pace of 5:23km

I was running in the park and the final 5 mins ended up being on a small footpath up hill, so I'm quite happy with the times.

Completed the 6 x 1min fast today - decided that as this was my first cycle I'd give the legs 2 day rest.

So now I look forward to the race on Sunday.

Kind regards

Sal