View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
LaneJ

I'm twenty three, five foot ten inches tall, and I weigh 180lbs, I'm not sure on my exact body fat but I'm sure it's pretty decent, no more than 10 percent.

Up until this week I've been running two miles every other day at a very easy pace around 10 minutes a mile.

This past Friday I plotted out a 1 mile circuit on mapmyrunDOTcom and decided to start training for the 3 mile run in 18 minutes or under.

The first mile this morning was done in 7 minutes thirty nine seconds

(these are not exact since this is off memory but within 5-10 seconds, I don't have a way to save my times on my watch)

I stretched for two minutes after the first mile.

My second mile was 8 minutes thirty seconds.

I stretched for two minutes after the second mile as well.

My third mile took me just under nine minutes.

I think a big portion of the issue is that I don't know what pace I should be running at so I did some calculations this afternoon and I'm curious if you think this will help...

In a few hours I'm going to go running and break the mile into quarter mile stints.

Each quarter mile stint I will try and get as close to one minute thirty seconds on and this should make it much easier for me to recognize the pace that I need to be at.

I know that I am capable of running a mile in five minutes or less and most of this is just mental, I'm okay with the pain.

I run in a pair of Adidas Adistar Salvations which seem to suit me pretty well.

I don't have a track I can run on so I typically run on the sidewalk near my house or in the street (it is safe since there are very few cars and I make sure that I wear clothes that can be seen easily)

I would like to put together a good schedule which will help organize things a bit instead of the guessing that I've been doing.

I know this is a lot of information but I want to give you a complete picture of my situation so that it will be easier for you recommend improvements.

I appreciate your quick response and thanks for all your help!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jeff
LaneJ is offline   Reply With Quote