Time-to-Run

FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Time-to-Run > Beginners Area
Home Forums Downloads Blogs

Time-to-Run on FacebookFollow TimetoRun on Twitter Running InformationUSA RunningRunning South AfricaRunning New ZealandRunning UKRunning CanadaRunning IrelandDeutsch LaufzeitRunning DenmarkSverige LöpningRunning FinlandTel Aviv Marathon Running Australia Running KenyaRunning EuropeRunning MaltaRunning NamibiaDonate for Training Advice
Beginners Area Start from the Beginning and Graduate

Frustrated beginner

Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Not2Old

Frustrated beginner

First off...details about me

Last thanksgiving, decided to lose weight. Lost 40 lbs. Need to lose 20 more.
In Feb this year, decided to take up jogging due to a stalled weight loss.
Struggled VERY badly to jog more than 90 seconds. Decided I was not getting enough calories (1000 max/day). Increased diet based on suggestion from a company referred Nutritionist. Won't go into the details but the math was done and I stuck to it.
The best I EVER got up to was 5 minute run on a treadmill at pace of 4mph.
I travel a lot for work. Currently in Germany with NO treadmill and the area is SUPER hilly but I have found some flat spots.

BUT, I am now not even able to run 90 seconds without walking.

I get out of breath but I am not sure that is the main issue. My legs are like anchors. My heart rate goes to 140 but typically not higher. I am not able to check that right now. Forgot my HRM at home!

I have been practicing the 3:2 breathing technique and it helps to recover but I still get winded.

Sometimes I think it is all mental.... That I am talking myself into walking. But how can that be? I want this SO badly! I am 46 years old (female) I have NEVER been able to run even as a kid. I have always been active and a tomboy type of person. I have ridden bikes, hiked...so many activities but can't seem to JOG!

I am 5'10" and weigh 174 lbs. I am not so huge. I signed up for a few 5k's, not so much to win but to be around the people that motivate me. Runners. They are awesome people and are very supportive. I ran 3 5ks, each finished at 42 mins.

I have been volunteering at marathons also. This is my number one item on my Bucket List and I will die trying to make this happen!

If I can JUST run 3 miles without walking....even at a snails pace...I will be happy!

I can't even begin at Week 1 of this program! That is horrible! I have been doing the C25k since Feb but I have to keep going back to week 1.

Any advice? Thanks so much!
Not2Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
TheEd
TheEd

Heart Icon

Hi Not2Old and welcome to the forums

you are a perfect candidate to get going with the 'absolute beginners' program, even if you have run 3 5k's already

the secret to success is routine and consistency

the absolute beginner's program teaches you the right training routine and it is progressive all the way through to the 10k programs

so take a look at the Beginner's program .. read and consider whether you want to take that approach

then you can provide feedback and we can watch the change

what say you?

TheEd
TheEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Not2Old

Hi TheEd! Thanks for the really fast reply!

I am open to try anything that can be successful. I want to succeed at this more than anyone could understand.

I read the Absolute Beginner details but it starts at a walk, which I have down VERY good. I can walk at a very fast pace for >30 minutes.

Maybe I am not understanding the instructions but it goes from there to 5 min of jogging. I have made it up to 5 minutes at a light jog before but for some reason, I am not able to do it anymore. Maybe the climate difference or me.

This may be greedy and overanxious but I don't want to start back at walking 30 minutes for 2 weeks.

My entire routine became messed up when I came to germany a few weeks ago. I am a morning person and LOVED getting up at 4 am and going for a jog/walk and I felt great all day. Since coming here, I have had to do it in the afternoon after work.

I think I have found a way to do it in the mornings again and will give that a try. I think if I can do 5 minutes tomorrow, I will start at the Beginner level. If not, would modifying the Absolute Beginner be possible?

I really do want to do this with the support of this forum and so much appreciate the advice and guidance.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
TheEd
TheEd

Hi Not2Old,

because you mentioned that you have been struggling eventhough you have been running and training etc, I thought it best to start from the absolute beginning and to get you into a routine to move forward with which you know is progressive and will get you to the next level and further

the start is only 3 weeks, you will not lose anything you already have and it will put you on the path of development according to the system I know works and has worked for many

so please be patient and go through with the process

we hope to have you moving your way through all the gears

If however you feel that you could cope with the starting beginner's program then start there IF .. you feel that, even that is too slack then look at preparing for your first 5km

http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/first5.htm

take a look and let me know?

TheEd
ps.. your time for 5k is slow, so we need to have you getting prepared for quicker running, the progressive nature of the programs will see to that
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Not2Old

TheEd,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. My only concern is that two weeks of doing what I have been able to do for a long time seems like lost time. I see your point though. It needs to be progressive starting from something I can do.

I went for my run yesterday and of course, I still can't do 5 minutes at a very slow pace. I can however do 1 minute at a slow pace. I did 1 minute light jog then 1 minute recovery for about 9 intervals.

The reason I don't want to do two weeks of walking, even at a fast pace is that I still won't be able to do the 5 minutes jog even after finishing the 2 weeks. I make this argument in hopes that I am misunderstanding some of the instructions.

It just seems like a jump from Walk to Jog for 5 minutes. If I can do 5 minutes, I could probably do 6 etc

I am going to do the 1 minute this week and see if I can keep that up. If not, maybe I have some medical issues that I need to investigate once I get back to the USA.

Thank you!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
TheEd
TheEd

Hi n2o

please take a look at this link

http://www.time-to-run.com/beginners/projects/tracyw/

TracyW started off and progressed all the way through to running a decent 5km

if you, after reading about TracyW, would like to achieve the same thing .. that is if you would like to be a 'project' with me and would like to document your progress then let me know

BUT .. you must believe and listen to what is suggested because the progressive nature allows for the development in the right direction

over to you

TheEd
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Not2Old

Hi TheEd,

I really do not mean to make this into an argument. I am trying to understand and learn and want to be successful. I am sorry if I am being difficult.

I read Tracy's story but it sounds like she started off being able to run more than 5 minutes.

Am I understanding that at the Beginner level I need to be able to run a full 5 minutes without walking? If so, that is not where I can start. If the 5 minutes can be broken up, then I can do that and progress to non-walking for 5 minutes. Just not from the start.

I am somewhere in the middle of the Walk and jog for 5 minutes stage. Maybe I will work up to that and come back.

Thanks,
Debra
Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
TheEd
TheEd

Hi Debra,

no, TracyW started out as an absolute beginner and only started those reports once she had the confidence to start writing them

that is why I referred to her, as she started right at the beginning

I can assure you that if you go through the format suggested (absolute beginner) we shall progress accordingly

Over to you

TheEd
ps.. I mentioned 'we' as I will assist you and we shall progress

Go Back  Time-to-Run > Beginners Area