Good news for runners who failed to secure an entry into the 2015 Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon, is that the substitution entry window is open between 23 January and 4 March 2015.
The substitution entry process provides runners who can no longer participate, the opportunity to “hand over” their entry to another runner.
This is an especially valuable tool for those runners who missed out on entering but still hope to make it to the Half Marathon or Trail Run start line.
According to Carol Vosloo, General Manager of the Two Oceans Marathon NPC, substitution entries provide an important logistical function that contributes to athletes’ safety on race day.
“Runners withdraw for a number of reasons, but it’s not just a small matter of handing your race number over to a friend. Each runner’s personal profile - which includes important medical and emergency information - is linked to his/her race number, and the substitution process facilitates the linking of a newly-issued number to the new participant.”
Vosloo adds that not following the proper substitution procedure could have life-threatening consequences, as emergency personnel rely on the accuracy of the information linked to an athlete’s race number.
“We are responsible for the safety of over 27 000 runners, and urge all athletes to not only follow the proper procedures, but to also take responsibility for the accuracy of their personal, emergency and medical information.”
The substitution entry process
- The withdrawing runner must log into the online system and click on the “substitute” button. A voucher number will be displayed and an email containing this voucher number will be dispatched.
- This voucher number plus your race number must be forwarded to the new runner who intends to take your entry.
- The withdrawing runner ONLY gives up his/her entry. The RaceTec Chip and extra purchases must still be collected by the runner.
- The original entry fee is not refundable.
- The new runner must take the voucher number, log into the online entry system and click “Substitution”. The withdrawing runner’s original race number must also be captured.
- Once the substitution has been validated, the system will prompt the new runner for personal and medical information (if this hasn’t already been completed).
The cost for a substitution entry is R80. However, other costs may still apply, like the cost of a compulsory RaceTec Chip (if the new runner doesn’t already have one), a temporary licence fee, etc.[/list]
Substitution entries for the Ultra Marathon will only become active, once entries for the event fill up. There are currently just over 1 500 entries available.