Time-to-Run

FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Time-to-Run > Beginners Area
Home Forums Downloads Blogs

Time-to-Run on FacebookFollow TimetoRun on Twitter Running InformationUSA RunningRunning South AfricaRunning New ZealandRunning UKRunning CanadaRunning IrelandDeutsch LaufzeitRunning DenmarkSverige LöpningRunning FinlandTel Aviv Marathon Running Australia Running KenyaRunning EuropeRunning MaltaRunning NamibiaDonate for Training Advice
Beginners Area Start from the Beginning and Graduate

Kid's Training

Old 31-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
torun10k

Kid's Training

Hi The Ed,

Little Athletics season is about to start and was wondering what is the best way to help my kids (9 and 10 yr olds) to train for the 1500 metre.

The older child has ran the 1500 in 7min13 secs and has done well in school cross countries (2km) all with little to no training and she is highly interested in the long distance.

This is the first time the younger child will participate in the 1500 event, he wants to do a triatholon and needs to run 500 metres. He has the swimming and cycling pretty much in control he just needs some guidance with the running.

Thanks

torun10k
torun10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
TheEd
TheEd

Hi there, I am not a great advocate of kids training too early towards distance running and can mention to you the approach taken with our own children and particularly son.

He has been wanting to run from a young age and we were fortunate enough to trick him into going to play soccer, which he now thoroughly enjoys while developing various aspects which will be handy if chooses to return to the sport at a later stage, which I am sure he will do.

In his development cycle we have him do a 600m run on the farm 4 times a year during summer. This year was the 3rd year he has run the same route, he does not train for the distance, each year he looks to run 10 seconds faster. Once or twice a year he will go for a run of around 20 to 25 minutes because he wants to however he is not encouraged to run just yet, his light training will start around 13 to 14

If your son is swimming then the aerobic gains from that will help for the running and is better as it is not weight-bearing

The problem with running training is it can become too specific at too young an age, so the idea is to have them participate in other sports that develop the child for running at a later stage in their life.

I am not sure how I can further answer your questions or whether this has helped?

I am more than willing to chat loosely about the child development but with no specifics as to it being the right way or that I am right, this is however the pattern of approach for our family where we are all sports inclined (3 children with a Mom and Dad) with performance as an end product. Due to my years of coaching experience we are able to apply it in a more loose structure yet still within a structure of purpose and control of direction

sorry for the waffle

TheEd
ps.. so after reading this if you would still like to chat about your daughter then let us see what can be compiled
TheEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
torun10k

Hi the Ed,

Completely understand not training children too hard at a young age. We have not pushed our kids in one direction or another.

Our son has done soccer in the past but he does not like it. He has irlen syndome so he is unable to track the ball with his eyes, thus making ball sports a problem. It was suggested to us that he take up swimming and he has been much happier and has progressed quite well with that. (he is always bugging us to take him to swim laps). As a goal to work towards he chose to work towards a triatholon, we are going to let him try one in January to see if it is what he would really like to do it.

My daughter on the otherhand pesters me to no end to take her out running (I have not taken her any further than 2kms as I have felt that that is a long distance for one so young). She is quite focused and pushes herself really hard. What I'd like to know for her is more a lose structure for running that she can participate in 2 days a week (3rd day being the weekly little athletic meet) and whether or not children of this age should be stretching/warmingup/down before and after they run.

With both children at the moment we are not so much focused on them getting a time or winning a race but providing them with physical activities that they enjoy that provide them with a health benefit. It has been to our surprise that they have wanted to take it more seriously. I guess we would just like some guidance so that we ensure that they are not overdoing things but so they will also gain some benefit from the exercise that they are participating in.

Hope that makes sense and so you can see where I am coming from.

Thanks
torun10k
torun10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
TheEd
TheEd

from what I read you seem to be putting thought into what you doing and certainly moving in the right direction

the swimming can be most beneficial

with the daughter, work in minutes so that you gently adding time to her overall exercise period

so if you wanting to increase to more than 2km go on a circuit where you work beforehand jog your 2k and then walk at the end this way you increasing the overall exercise time which can only be beneficial without too much stress normally associated with running

TheEd
ps.. sorry for the slowness in reply .. how you doing with your running?
TheEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  Time-to-Run > Beginners Area