Time-to-Run

FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Time-to-Run > Beginners Area
Home Forums Downloads Blogs

Time-to-Run on FacebookFollow TimetoRun on Twitter Running InformationUSA RunningRunning South AfricaRunning New ZealandRunning UKRunning CanadaRunning IrelandDeutsch LaufzeitRunning DenmarkSverige LöpningRunning FinlandTel Aviv Marathon Running Australia Running KenyaRunning EuropeRunning MaltaRunning NamibiaDonate for Training Advice
Beginners Area Start from the Beginning and Graduate

I Need Help Training for Marine Corps Boot Camp - 3 Miles in Under 18 Minutes

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
LaneJ

I Need Help Training for Marine Corps Boot Camp - 3 Miles in Under 18 Minutes

I am training for Marine Corps Boot Camp, I am planning on shipping out around January first so I have a little less than two months to train for this.

I am trying to get a perfect score on the physical fitness test.

You are tested on three things:

1.) 3 Mile Run - 18 minutes or under is a perfect score (100 points)

2.) Pull ups - 20 pull ups is a perfect score (100 points)

3.) Sit ups - 100 sit ups in 2 minute is a perfect score (100 points)

The Marine Corps is big on physical fitness, I apply myself 100% to anything that I do and getting a perfect score on the physical fitness test requires just a bit more effort than getting a "pretty good score" and I don't want to be pretty good when perfection is possible.

I know the training deadline is very quickly approaching but I am already in good shape, I'm just trying to get my mile times down.

I can run 5 miles easily at about a 10-11 min pace

I run 3 miles in 24 minutes now, which I'm not proud of.

However in the past I've focused more on bulking up and not on cardio so now I have my chance to improve this portion of my physical fitness.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Jeff
LaneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
TheEd
TheEd

Hi LaneJ and welcome

24 minutes currently and an aim of sub 18

this is a task

now, where are you currently with your running fitness, what do you do on a weekly basis running wise now?

Till your reply

TheEd
TheEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
LaneJ

I'm twenty three, five foot ten inches tall, and I weigh 180lbs, I'm not sure on my exact body fat but I'm sure it's pretty decent, no more than 10 percent.

Up until this week I've been running two miles every other day at a very easy pace around 10 minutes a mile.

This past Friday I plotted out a 1 mile circuit on mapmyrunDOTcom and decided to start training for the 3 mile run in 18 minutes or under.

The first mile this morning was done in 7 minutes thirty nine seconds

(these are not exact since this is off memory but within 5-10 seconds, I don't have a way to save my times on my watch)

I stretched for two minutes after the first mile.

My second mile was 8 minutes thirty seconds.

I stretched for two minutes after the second mile as well.

My third mile took me just under nine minutes.

I think a big portion of the issue is that I don't know what pace I should be running at so I did some calculations this afternoon and I'm curious if you think this will help...

In a few hours I'm going to go running and break the mile into quarter mile stints.

Each quarter mile stint I will try and get as close to one minute thirty seconds on and this should make it much easier for me to recognize the pace that I need to be at.

I know that I am capable of running a mile in five minutes or less and most of this is just mental, I'm okay with the pain.

I run in a pair of Adidas Adistar Salvations which seem to suit me pretty well.

I don't have a track I can run on so I typically run on the sidewalk near my house or in the street (it is safe since there are very few cars and I make sure that I wear clothes that can be seen easily)

I would like to put together a good schedule which will help organize things a bit instead of the guessing that I've been doing.

I know this is a lot of information but I want to give you a complete picture of my situation so that it will be easier for you recommend improvements.

I appreciate your quick response and thanks for all your help!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jeff
Old 26-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Jlabs09

Hey Man I'm leaving January 3rd for Boot Camp down in Paris Island. and I'm doing the same thing as you, training to get 18 minutes.

first off i use Microsoft word to keep everything like my run times and everything organized so i can see how I'm improving and how much farther i have to go to reach my goal. Set something up that looks like this...

Distance Time LBS Condition Area Date
3 miles 18:00 0lbs Sunny/Slight Wind/6os A 10/26/09

i cant make a graph on here but put it in one

Now this will keep you organized and after every time you work out just type in your times and anything else you think is important to keep track of. You could also just use a sheet of lined paper but i think this just looks better and its harder to loose.

Now not only am i training by just running 3 to 7 miles a 6 times a week. I'm also put weights in a back pack and running a mile after almost every time i run to build up the muscles in my back, and legs and to get ready and used to having a packs on in boot camp. This idea was my recruiters and i suggest you try the same. now you want a strap that raps around your waste so that the pack isn't bouncing up and down and jarring your back. if your pack doesn't have one just use a piece of rope or i use a cloth belt. also start off slow like with just ten lbs believe me you start to feel it after a mile even though its just ten lbs.
I also have different areas that i have mapped out conclude that area you ran that day and if you combined 2 or more together so you keep an idea o how long it takes you to run that area because on of mine takes me through trails in the woods that go up and down hills. This is also good to make you faster. running up hills will build your muscles and give you more endurance.

Now I'm not sure on how many pull ups you can do but if you still arnt at 20 buy a pull up bar i have the Iron Gym the one that raps around the door frame it offers 3 different ways to do pull ups. Its about $20 you can also do push ups and sit ups with it. Put it somewhere where you walk buy in your house often and just do a quick set every time you pass it.

If you have any more questions just post it and ill check back here probably everyday. And if i think of anything or start doing something in my running ill post it and you can see if it works for you. and lastly I'm 5'10" 150lbs so were about in the same category.

Good luck man USMC

Jordan
Jlabs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Jlabs09

O and the pase Question just try and run at a same pase the entire time and what i do no mater how tired i am i try and pick it up the last mile to 1/2 mile to make my time faster and then when im close i go all out as fast as i can that extra burst at the end will help alot both for your time for that day and also the next day as well. if you want to get fast at running the 3 mile i say you try and run that at least once a week with no stops, and the onther day try running a 1 1/2 or even just a mile so you can get quicker and run at a faster pase.

My exact work out for any given day is this run 2 miles i let my self cool down for 30 minutes then i run a mile with weights in my pack.

some times ill run 2 miles first with weights and 1 mile with nothing.

and also ill do the 3 miles with no weights

and me and another guy run 7 miles 1 to 2 times a week

i take tuesdays of because every wendnessday i have PT and my recruiters where a bunch of us get together and run a half mile do pull ups and sit ups and sometimes play football. If you can try and run with quys from your recruiters there trying to get in shape or stay in shape as well and your both working towards the same goal and its just nice to run with someone it helps you push yourself and the other perosn.
Old 26-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
TheEd
TheEd

sorry Jeff, somehow missed your reply

how are things going now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneJ View Post
I'm twenty three, five foot ten inches tall, and I weigh 180lbs, I'm not sure on my exact body fat but I'm sure it's pretty decent, no more than 10 percent.

Up until this week I've been running two miles every other day at a very easy pace around 10 minutes a mile.

This past Friday I plotted out a 1 mile circuit on mapmyrunDOTcom and decided to start training for the 3 mile run in 18 minutes or under.

The first mile this morning was done in 7 minutes thirty nine seconds

(these are not exact since this is off memory but within 5-10 seconds, I don't have a way to save my times on my watch)

I stretched for two minutes after the first mile.

My second mile was 8 minutes thirty seconds.

I stretched for two minutes after the second mile as well.

My third mile took me just under nine minutes.

I think a big portion of the issue is that I don't know what pace I should be running at so I did some calculations this afternoon and I'm curious if you think this will help...

In a few hours I'm going to go running and break the mile into quarter mile stints.

Each quarter mile stint I will try and get as close to one minute thirty seconds on and this should make it much easier for me to recognize the pace that I need to be at.

I know that I am capable of running a mile in five minutes or less and most of this is just mental, I'm okay with the pain.

I run in a pair of Adidas Adistar Salvations which seem to suit me pretty well.

I don't have a track I can run on so I typically run on the sidewalk near my house or in the street (it is safe since there are very few cars and I make sure that I wear clothes that can be seen easily)

I would like to put together a good schedule which will help organize things a bit instead of the guessing that I've been doing.

I know this is a lot of information but I want to give you a complete picture of my situation so that it will be easier for you recommend improvements.

I appreciate your quick response and thanks for all your help!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jeff
Old 27-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
LaneJ

Things are going great...

I am working on my pull ups and sit ups Jordan...

I do ten max rep pull ups everyday and every other week I put on a backpack with thirty pounds of added weight in it. I found this REALLY increases my strength.

I haven't been adding weight when I run but that's a good idea...

I have a file on my computer I keep to remember what my stats are.

Where do you live? I will be going to San Diego, so I'm assuming you live east of me in Chicago.
Old 27-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
Jlabs09

Yeah i live in michigan just South of Detroit not to far away from you. Thats weird your going to San Diego i thought everyone east of the Mississipi whent down to Paris Island. Were both leaving at a good time we wont have to worry about the dead heat of summer. What is your MOS that your going into mine is Recon.
Old 27-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
TheEd
TheEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneJ View Post
I haven't been adding weight when I run but that's a good idea...
adding weight in such a way is high risk and especially if you are not that fit already

if anything this way of 'preparing' will prepare you mentally more than anything

you first need to establish a 'base' fitness before you can even consider adding weight.

Good luck with the process

TheEd
Old 27-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Jlabs09

In boot camp were going to have 40 to 50 lb packs that were going to march (hump) with for miles on end multiple times a week if not days. If we prepare now with a light pack were going to be that much more prepared when we have to hump for the Crucible the final stage of are boot camp we will be marching 48 miles on foot within a 54 hour time we will be required to carry 45 pounds during the Crucible, in addition to 782 gear, uniform and M16 A2 service rifle weight. It might not be easy on are body but being in the Marines we new that from the fist time we stepped into the recruiting office, we have to sacrifice are bodies but in the end its worth it. What it sounds like to me by what Jeff has said he is more than capable of running at a light pass with a pack on and that’s why I said to start of light while he can before we both get to boot camp believe me its going to help and my recruiter wouldn’t of told me something that he think would injure me every time I see him he tells me not to hurt my self.

Go Back  Time-to-Run > Beginners Area