Running Information Forums

Full Version: Mickle and Boyd for Doha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Australian record holders Kim Mickle (WA, javelin) and Alana Boyd (Qld, pole vault) will join some of the world’s best athletes for Round 1 of the IAAF Diamond League in Doha (QAT) this Friday 9 May.

Providing an ideal start to what will hopefully lead toward Commonwealth glory this August, both Mickle and Boyd will arrive in the Middle East after strong domestic campaigns that included selection for Glasgow 2014 and season best performances well beyond the Commonwealth Games A-Standard for their event.

The IAAF World Championships silver medallist Mickle is in the form of her life.

Opening her 2014 account with a 66.12m throw to win by a mere two centimetres from Kathryn Mitchell (Vic, 66.10m) at the Adelaide Track Classic, the Athletics Australia Athlete of the Year has since taken victory at the Go for 2&5 Perth Track Classic and IAAF Melbourne World Challenge, with her 66.83m performance at Lakeside Stadium eclipsing the previous Australian record of Olympic silver medallist Louise Currey. Mickle then earned automatic selection to the Commonwealth Games team by throwing 64.28m to win her ninth national title.

“The Diamond League is extraordinary. I managed to do most events last year and they are an amazing build up to any major championship,” Mickle told Eurosport Australia.

“My goal this year is to be Commonwealth champion but I also want to see what I can do against the best in the world at the Diamond League. Last year I finished on the podium at every single event but failed to get on the top of the dais, so hopefully I can nab a few first places this year.

“To compete against the best in the world each month at every Diamond League event is great. My plan is definitely to win each event, so game on.”