Running Information Forums
How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: How to get a Big Swede running fast! (/Thread-How-to-get-a-Big-Swede-running-fast)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 25-09-2009

Hi!

Now I got a trainingplan to get rid of my calfeproblems. Will do running 2 times per week max 30min in form of fartlek or temopruns. Will also keep on going with the excercises to strengthen the muscles and strings but intesify them.

The verdict is 12-26 weeks before fully recovery so I´ll have to be patient! Undecided

On the up side the scale now shows 83kg and I will try to lose some more during this time! Confusedcales:

Cheers,

Not so BIG SWEDE anymore! :yes:

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 25-09-2009

:wow: 83kg .. in my dreams

congrats on that .. if you patient and maintain that weight your times should drop like a brick in water

well done

and now good luck with the rehabilitation

TheEd

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 25-09-2009

Thanks! Big Grin

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 26-04-2010

Been running now for two months! :wow:

Took a three months rest from running.

The big string seems ok but still having some pain in another string. Been doing easy runs for a while to be safe.

Did a 5k race on saturday. 21.51 feels ok considering my training.:jive:

On the down side the scale shows 90kg again!:mad:

Dont know when or if I´ll get back to the programs. Just taking it one step at a time.

Up and running,

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 26-04-2010

dang Swede ... 90 kg and 21 mins is fine

good to have you clock in

TheEd

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 14-05-2010

Hi!

Did a 10k race last weekend. It was two 5k laps, a flat circuit. Total time was 43:28 and the second lap was 2sec faster than the first. I´m very happy with the time considering my training or perhaps lack of training! :yes:

In january-mars I was able to do a total of 170k Xcountry skiing! The first time in 25 years for me and it was so much fun!:jester:

Been running approx. 30k/week easy the last two months and have only done3 speedsessions. I never run two days in a row, I always have at least one day off in between the sessions. Instead I try to take the bike or the inlines.

Think I will keep on doing easy runs over the summer with a few speedsessions trying to go up to 40k/week and than later in the fall give sub40 another try.

What do you say Ed?

Cheers,

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 15-05-2010

That's where the secret is, the XCountry skiing, I don't think your body frame takes too kindly to long slow running and this showed last year when you picked up the problem

that is quite great getting to 43 minutes for 10km

you will certainly cope with the 2000 and 1000m sessions as long as your bio-mechanics are flowing, if you run too slow for too far you put too much stress on the lower limbs

even if your 10km is just under 4.30 per k and the normal rule of thumb is a minute for easy runs, I think you would be safer hovering around 5 minutes for easy runs and only doing a max of 1hr on your feet

so yes, towards the sub 40 minute 10km but definitely change the easy and longer runs format

my suggestions, what say you?

TheEd

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 15-05-2010

Ok, lets break it down:

Been looking at my runninglog and at this thread. My problems with my thies and hips are related to the long runs and the total amount of km.

My problem with my calves are related to the speedsessions, 1kConfused and 2kConfused. The important things here are the speed and my wieght and the fact that I´m not 24 anymore.

During this spring I´ve improved my bio-mechanics through doing exercises like high and low skip´s, heelkicks and so forth before every run. 5-10 min. Have also been using a balanceplate 2-3 times/week.

I feel that when I run at 5:25/k or faster I have no problem keeping a good flow and the body and feet in the right position.

I think I can start with doing the easy sessions in 5:15-20/k and get my bio-mechanics flowing. And of course keeping them under 60min. Now I´m doing them in 5:20-5:50.

I agree with you that I can cope with the 2000 and 1000m sessions but I think I will have to start at a slower pace to get a build up. The 2kConfused at 4:25-30 and the 1kConfused at 4:15/k. And the first times do 4x2k and 5x1k to be on the safe side. Do not want to risk injuries again.

And I really like to continue to run every second day to ensure recovery.

Your thoughts on this, Ed?

Over to you,

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 15-05-2010

those speed sessions are pretty manageable ..

I truly believe the slower running and your size makes for pretty poor biomechanics .. you should get calf muscle fatigue from 2000's and 1000's which could lead to problems but the major hassle will come from distances over 1hr

the major problem with long slow running is the continuous weight bearing pounding that occurs

good to have you back though

TheEd

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 16-05-2010

Manageble is what I´m looking for now. My idea is to focus first hand on getting the muscles, strings and joints to adapt to the speed, the tracksurface and the stress of intervalls, listen to my body. Second hand focus on the heart and lungs when I feel that the body is coping.

There is no stress or timelimits for me, it dosent matter when I will do sub40 just that I will get there and I feel very confident that I will. Smile

I hear you regarding the speed and biomechanics and I will test to do easy sessions around 5min/k but I´m afraid that they wont be easy anymore, but I´ll give it a try.

Thanks,

Bid Swede