Running Information Forums
How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: How to get a Big Swede running fast! (/Thread-How-to-get-a-Big-Swede-running-fast)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 08-02-2009

good stuff .. we will restructure the sessions once the body has recovered

as for the weight loss that should come naturally so don't focus on that for now

I was most concerned about the long run, if you recall, so we need to look at that aspect

we will find a solution

Cheers

TheEd

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 10-02-2009

Today the legs feel better again.

Planning to do the 400Confused on a treadmill tonight. To much snow on the track today.

What pace should I set?:confused:

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 10-02-2009

no no .. no 400's

let's restructure things .. your main race is 6 weeks away .. so we could fit 2 cycles into this period .. however for the first cycle I would prefer to get you back feeling positive about things

so .. today .. enjoy 30mins as you feel .. pulse and rhythm as you feel

tomorrow 30mins relaxed

and Thursday we can look at doing 6x1000m

What do you say?

TheEd

Sounds ok to me coach!

Will do 30 mins today.

Big Swede

:mrburns:

Felt better today but still not 100%. Think I had to work a bit harder today at this pulse than I usually do.

First the data from two previos runs on this 6k-course:

22/1: 29:53(4:58/k) AHR 141 MHR 153

28/1: 30:14(5:02/k) AHR 138 MHR 151

Today:

29:36(4:56/k) AHR 141 MHR 158

The legs felt ok but they didn´t bounce!

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 10-02-2009

I mentioned elsewhere in a thread about the 'loose' rule of thumb for easy runs

and if we take that you want to run sub 40 mins for 10k this equals 4 min per k and one should add 1 minute to that pace to establish a sensible easy run during development, this would place you at 5 mins per k

so maybe for now try keep the runs slightly over 5 minutes per k

I am still not sure whether the long run after the 2000's did the most damage, so we shall need to see

often a big guy becomes really inefficient when they run at slower pace, so finding the right balance can be a challenge

All is not lost

TheEd

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 11-02-2009

Well my experience from last year is that the long runs wear my down, specially at a slow pace. Last spring a did 16-20k every sunday and it was always really hard to recover. After like 2 months I started to get injuries.

During the last 6 months I have been building up volume so that my normal run has been 11-12k three times a week at 4:50-5:20 pace depending on the feeling and then an easy 8k. This have worked out well for me and the pace around 5:10 have felt real easy.

The problem is that I need the long runs to perform at 21k so how should we solve that?

And I cant stop thinking that the weight is a problem. I´m thinking that maybe the most effective way to enhance performance now is to stop training for 2 weeks and really lose weight with some form of diet?!:confused:

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 11-02-2009

Big Swede don't worry about the weight, it will get sorted out as we progress

OK .. now that feedback about the problems with long runs assists in your development

It is not the long runs per say, but more the slow pace which leads to inefficiency in foot placement and stride pattern etc, so your size begins to play a role, if you are running at a faster pace in a long run you would not pick up as many problems however you cannot run at a faster pace until you are fitter, so we are in a little bit of a catch 22 scenario for now

Are you able to do any cross country skiing nearby but only if you are efficient at cross skiing?

Once you have been through a few cycles of 2000's and 1000's then you will have established something.

Are you starting to feel a 'lot' better yet?

Enjoy the 1000's, same pace as before

:jive:

[SIZE="1"]please note, I am maybe offline till Friday evening, I say maybe because I may get on this evening, but may not get a chance to answer things till Friday evening[/SIZE]

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - Big Swede - 11-02-2009

Hi!

Havent done any cross country skiing for the past 20 years or so!

But I do use my mountinbike from time to time when I feel I need a brake from running.

Today I´m unfortunally stuck at work (sick staff) so no running today. And I start to feel something like a cold in my throat and body!Sad

Will se how I feel tomorrow.

Cheers

Big Swede

How to get a Big Swede running fast! - TheEd - 11-02-2009

Don't despair this could have been lingering in your system, plenty of time to prepare for 10,5 test

TheEd