Running Information Forums
Improving 10k with regular training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Improving 10k with regular training (/Thread-Improving-10k-with-regular-training--154)

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 21-02-2009

Hi Ed,

I was reviewing our chat here and at any moment I provided you with some personal data that might help you with our training. So:

Weight: 77kg
Height: 1,81m

Some running history till feb, when I started this program:

Month - Total Km - Total Avr Pace Runs Longest Run
Sep: 35,82km 5:35 14 4 km
Oct: 46,78km 5:19 12 5 km
Nov: 60,73km 5:03 13 5km
Dec: 74,43km 5:13 14 6km
Jan: 134,42km 5:10 19 10km

So you can see, the first 4 months I ran almost the same number of days, but was increasing the distance. I was in vacation during January, so I had more time to run (both days and distance!).
But at any time I did any quality sessions. I would just get my sneakers and run according to what I felt at the time. For instance, the first 3 days of Feb I ran 11km, 10km and 9km (at 5:18min/k), so 30 Km in 3 consecutive days, almost the hole distance of Sep.
The reason I looked for guidence was that I was stuck at the 5:00min/km for 10km runs and also keep injuries away of my non-guided program. Fortunatly, nothing happen.

I'm glad you're assisting me and can't wait to see the results!

Nice weekend!

MMS

ps: It's really sunny this weekend! :yes:

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 22-02-2009

MMS .. thanks for the data

how do you find your training coming along at present? Do you find it easy and has it been enjoyable?

Hopefully you are able to get onto 10k program quite soon

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 22-02-2009

Hi Ed,

before answering you question, here's the results of yesterday's 5k run.

1. 5:01
2. 4:56
3. 5:04
4. 4:58
5. 4:50
Total: 24:49

I tried to run without pushing too much. So, the first 2km I started a bit faster than I wanted, so slowly reduced the pace during the folowing 2km. In the last one, since I was feeling nice, speed up a bit on the last 400m.
At the end, wasn't feeling to tired, like I could've gone faster (maybe to 24:30). :whistle:

Now, the training so far has been a bit easy. Except for this 5k that came close to my current limit. But, I can comfortably run at 6:00min/k on the easy runs and it's been really good folowing a schedule.
Like you could see on the data provided, today I'm running less km per week than used to. I miss that but I know that's a reason not to run that much at this point, and also know that running more doesn't also mean running faster, wich is my goal.

After doing some research, I'm going to order my HR monitor. So, if you prefer to wait me start using it and give you proper data before changing the program, that's fine!Wink

I was also considering participate on 10k runs. There's lot's of runs here every month, but was thinking of one on March 29th as a start.

So, what are your thoughts? :mmm:

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 23-02-2009

OK .. grand .. lets start on the

sub 50 minute 10k program

from this week and we shall adapt the sessions for you

Start Day 1 on Tuesday

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 23-02-2009

Hi Ed,

that's really great! But, since today is holiday, I continued the previous program and started day 1 of second week cicle this morning. It was really hot (31 degrees celcius) and I had to make two quick stops to drink water and run at a slower pace.

Time: 75 min
Distance covered: 11,7km

I was looking at the sub 50 program and it starts with a run just like this, but the longest run and race day would be on saturday.

So, what should we do? Start from today as Day 1 or rest tomorrow and begin on Wednesday?

Tks!

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 23-02-2009

Rest tomorrow and then you have your first 2000m session on Wednesday

Will discuss pace shortly

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 24-02-2009

That's fine!

I'll rest today. It's going to be good since yesterday's run was very tiring because of the weather.

So, looking at tomorrow's session and to fully understand what's written at the program, I should run 2km 3 times, resting 90 to 120 sec between each session of 2k and aim a pace of 4:55min/k wich would give a total time of 9:50 per 2 km, right? :mmm:

Another doubt, how should I rest on these 90-120sec, walk or jog?

back to you Ed!

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 24-02-2009

That's correct ..

you can stretch or sip water during the break or simply stand and recover

Enjoy getting onto a program

TheEd

:mrburns:

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 26-02-2009

Hi Ed,

Last night I did the 2000m with 90sec rest (walking). Here's the results:

1. 9:40
2. 9:50
3. 9:48

As you can see, the first one was a bit faster than the others. I was learning how to manage my pace at that speed and could control better after a while. Even though, I had to slow down a bit at the end of these 3 laps to finish at the desired time. I see room for faster times here.
During the interval, I walked for 90sec.

Although it was a tough session, I really enjoyed it. :p

So, what do you think? :mmm:

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 26-02-2009

Its a good start MMS and you should be happy to be on a schedule now

Smile

TheEd