Running Information Forums
Improving 10k with regular training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Improving 10k with regular training (/Thread-Improving-10k-with-regular-training--154)

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 08-08-2011

great to hear MMS

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 14-08-2011

Hi TheEd,

I did the 4k time-trial last Friday and was very surprised with my result: 16:52. I did the best I could for this distance and didn’t believe I could go this fast after each km until I finished it. After 3 months of very poor or no training it was a great achievement, right?

For this first cycle I should go easier and let my body readapt to training. So, what do you suggest?

By the way: I’m back to my night runs, for now. Maybe in the future I’ll reconsider morning runs again.

Here’s the splits:

Aug 12th - 4k time-trial
Night Run
Temp: 21C

Km|time|AHR
01|04:14|166
02|04:12|187
03|04:14|188
04|04:12|189
04|16:52|183

Reached my current limit. Very pleased could keep a constant pace all the way. :great:

Cheers

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 15-08-2011

MMS this is because you have developed as a runner .. you now carry the knowledge of running

if you avoid niggles and problems you should go to the next level with your running

as you looking at going easier in the first cycle .. consider the sub 40 minute 10km program but with the speed of the sub 45 minute 10km program

so you will do 5 x 2k at 8min 50 (4.25 per k)

enjoy

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 19-08-2011

Hi TheEd,

My 5x2k last night became a 2x2k because my calves were annoying me. Here I´d like your opinion. I´m not sure if it´s the fact of being such a long time without doing any speed work or it´s my new shoes.

My Mizuno Rider reached 900km and I bought an Asics Speedstar 5 (I´ve already used it 5 times before time-trial). After the time-trial with these shoes both calves were stiffy, but after Sat and Mon off and only a bike ride on Sun it was back to normal again and they didn´t bother me until the second 2k rep last night, when I decided to abort the session and go home (no reason to be stubborn here).

I intend to do some exercises to strengthen them and avoid such problems in the future. Besides that, the session was going pretty well.

Cheers

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 19-08-2011

best you be cautious .. turn the shoes over to see whether they have the same shape as the old shoes

most important that calf muscles are looked after

run every 2nd day if need be

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 29-08-2011

Hi TheEd,

TheEd Wrote:best you be cautious .. turn the shoes over to see whether they have the same shape as the old shoes
TheEd

The shoes, to me, look similar.

Training has been very inconsistent these days. I traveled the weekend before (Aug 20 – 21st) and was able to run again last Tue. On Wed had to work late and Thu I woke up with an ingrown toenail that wouldn't let me walk normally. Had it taken care but had to stay put for the rest of the week.

Now, I intend to start a new cycle this week and with some luck, everything will be fine from now on.

Cheers

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 29-08-2011

good to hear .. hopefully you are able to build some consistency

all the best

TheEd

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 12-09-2011

Hi TheEd,

I expect that from this week on I´ll find some consistency on my training. I´ve recently got a cold and wasn´t able to run for some days. My last week was like this:
Mon: 6k in 30min
Tue: Off
Wed: ran a 5K race at Interlagos F1 track (23:11, very hilly course!) with some friends
Thu: 6k in 36min
Fri:Off
Sat: 12k in 1h12
Sun: bike 30km

This year I´ll “race” again a Marathon with my friends next Sunday. Nearly 10km each (group of 4 people), I don´t intend to go fast. I´ll probably run btw 5:30/km 6:00/km. After that, I´ll start a new cycle.
For this week, I was thinking of following the 3rd week of the program, but with the 1000s on Tue. What do you think?

MMS

Improving 10k with regular training - TheEd - 13-09-2011

that should work out fine

TheEd
ps. enjoy

Improving 10k with regular training - MMS - 20-09-2011

Hi TheEd,

I ran the relay marathon with my friends last Sunday. I said I´d run easy (6:00/km) but I kinda changed my mind. Instead, I ran at 5:00/km, as I was feeling ok. The best thing about this run was that I ran without GPS (don´t have and don´t want one) or checking the km markers at the pace I wanted. Well, it was 5:02/km in the end, but very happy anyway.

On Oct 30th, two cycles from today, I have a 10K race. This one I want to go faster.

Cheers

MMS