Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 30-05-2016

Daz, you must try plan off-periods in advance, be aware when you reach the tipping point of overtraining, and the plan a down period followed by the build-up, and then on to the programs

these should be continual cycles which go up and down but are controlled by you

please ask more questions relating to this

onwards TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 23-12-2016

Seasons greetings!

Well the last attempt to get back didn't go so well.

I have been back training again for a few weeks. Am nowhere previous levels of fitness or pace but have to start again somewhere!

I also have some new equipment to help me with training. I have purchased a treadmill and a static bike.

For the last three weeks only bee running on the treadmill. Very slow build up distance.

Wk1 19km
Wk2 36km
25KM so far since Monday

It is slow going though. Generally around 5:40 - 6:15min/km. Longest run to date was 14km on Sunday.

My right calf IS STILL an issue. but last couple of runs there has been less discomfort. I have included strength training into the workouts so far. Core training, sit ups, planks etc. Legs - squats, calf raises and bike. Upper body, plank, press ups resistance reps. These strength sessions may be starting to benefit the calf and strengthen the lower leg which has lessened the discomfort. Strength training done on shorter run days. Anything 10km or more is a run only day.

It is going to be a long road back. My issue is aerobic fitness, my legs are still feeling strong and recovering quickly from sessions, despite the calf issue, which only happens for first 20mins of any run.

I know it has been a long time TheED but I do greatly value your support and advice.

I know the programmes work, I would not have been able to go from barely being able to run 5km at all to doing a sub 20 5km in about 6 months if they didn't.

The plan for the moment is to get back onto the training cycles and stay fit. No plans to race etc at all.

HR monitoring during runs is still an issue but as a rough guide my Ave HR is currently about 150 for a 30 min 5km. Still a few more long runs to go before that drops a bit. What do you reckon? Resting HR is around 50.

Any advice about where to go from here?

More info around training can be provided if necessary?

Hope you and the family are keeping well.

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 24-12-2016

Daz, it is that time of year where it is difficult to maintain consistency, but if anything, do not make the same mistake of doing too much by training to get fit fast

consider backing off on the intensity over this holiday period and look to run without any measurement, running with others who are slower than you will help

get some time on feet and from there we can work forward

upwards and onwards

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 27-12-2016

Thanks TheEd. I have had a few days off the treadmill. Will look to lengthen and slow down the runs through this week and see how that goes. I have realised that my expectations on previous comebacks have been too high. Would much rather be running regulary than not all all and if that means slower, so be it.

The good lady Santa gave me a new HR watch for Christmas so will soon know whether I have been going too hard or not next time on treadmill.

Will check back in a few days with another update.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 31-12-2016

Quick update:

28-12-16
15.55km
1:32:08
149bpm ave HR

29-12-16
5.18km
30:20
149bpm ave HR
Some core and upper body strength training

31-12-16
11.02km
1:04:00
147bpm ave HR

01-01-17
16km
1:40:00
130pbm ave HR.
Moved the treadmill this morning from the small first floor bedroom (which got stuffy and hot with no air circulation) into the conservatory out the back. Treadmill is now on an concrete surface so not rattling the whole house when I run. I also serviced it upon reassembly. I have the ability to open the windows and door into the garden and blow fresh, cold air onto me with a fan whilst on the treadmill. This made a huge difference to my HR on this run. I really struggled get my HR over 140 despite increasing the pace every 10mins from half an hour into the run when it was still under 120! The new environment should help training going forward anyway! You can see on previous runs, same pace more or less but HR is 20bpm higher. This is down the the warmth in the room. No wonder it has been tough going!

69.9kg with body fat of 16.5% currently.

Have also been refreshing myself with many of the articles on here, pretty much to do about everything!

Happy new year to all readers and of course to your and the family TheEd.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 02-01-2017

all the best for 2017 Daz

regarding the treadmill, do you have it at 1% incline. This is meant to provide a variation which equates to running outside

always good to re-read the articles, as there is always something to refresh

in your case, it is to take things easy on yourself, and to train slightly below the effort you think is necessary Wink

good to see you rolling again

onwards into 2017

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 08-01-2017

Thanks TheEd. It's good to be back!

Training since the 01st as follows, all runs with a 1% incline programmed into treadmill;

02-01-17
Recovery run
6km
36:10
6'01"/km
134bpm ave.

03-01-17
Strength training upper/lower/core 45mins.
10.01km
1hr
6'00"/km
134bpm ave.

04-01-17
16.01km
1:36
5'59"/km
132bpm ave

05-01-17
Strength training upper/core 45mins
10km
59:12
5'55"/km
126bpm ave.

06-01-17
8km
46:22
5'47"/km
130pbm ave.

07-01-17
Strength training upper/core 46mins

08-01-17
21km
2:04
5'54"/km
136bpm ave

Been going well. The slower running is really helping. The HR is already dropping on the runs. I can run as long as I like at around the 6min/km pace. Bit of strength training continueing also to build my core and upper/lower body. The calf issue is much less of a problem (calf raises seem to be helping), it is slowly fading away and most runs are free from and discomfort.

My question is; how long do I carry on doing this aerobic for and what is the next step?

This weeks vitals:
71.1kg
17.1% body fat
52bpm resting HR

Made a few other changes. Dropped caffiene almost completely. Now only have 1cup a day in the morning. This in turn has almost cut all the processed sugar out of my diet.

Feeling good.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 09-01-2017

this is good, you can look to do a 4k time-trial this week, so we have a marker and then we can progress from there

during the time-trial, do not go flat out, start off conservatively and then build up the pace

try to enjoy and feel good after the trial

slot the run in whenever you ready

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 09-01-2017

Will look at wednesday. Legs are good this morning but want a bit of recovery after the long run yesterday. So maybe 6-8km gentle today/tomorrow. Wednesday outside to my nearby 1km loop for TT. See how I feel through week. Advice heeded on pace. Will check in after TT complete.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 11-01-2017

09-01-17
Upper/core strength training
Recovery run
5km
30mins
127 HR ave

10-01-17
Upper/core strength training
Easy run
8km
47:48
132 HR ave

11-01-17
Warm up 3.12km @ 6'08"/km
Time trial:
1 @ 4'56"/km
2 @ 4'50"/km
3 @ 4'44"/km
4 @ 4'22"/km
Total 18:52
Ave. pace 4'43"/km

Peak HR was 149. Ave HR 131 for whole session.

Warm down 2.62km @ 6:55km (walk/jog home)

Was pretty cool but decided just to strip off to leg skins and a vest for the TT as didnt want to overheat. Thia helped keep the HR low. Am very pleased with the negative splits and last KM. Finishing pace last 150 was 3'37" pace!
Felt good, was NOT clock watching, just tried to run by feel. Got a little uncomfortable towards the end but not to the point of distress. Maintained control throughout the 4km, all the core and strength work really helped, was balanced and held decent form through excercise to finish as I powered up in last 400m.

Had a good stretch after I got home too (as usual, I do a lot more stretching pre and post workouts these days)

After being nervous about this all day I am chuffed to bits with how it went. Legs were fine, no niggles or flare ups. Everything ok. That was my main worry, pulling the calf or something but all is good!

What's the next step coach? Wink