Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 24-02-2017

consider increasing your protein intake after long runs, as this will assist the muscle recovery

good to see you feeling 'chirper' but do watch the calf muscle

all good

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 24-02-2017

I have various supplements I have been using, especially after the high intensity sessions or any session over an hour. I have have been using a protein whey concentrate from Protein World. I will take a bit of their pre workout before intervals, long runs and strength workouts too and have some of their "recovery" supplement (which isn't getting replaced once gone as the Protein Concentrate does the same thing).

Will try to keep breakfast protein heavy (eggs generally), lunch is always porridge oats and a protein shake (carbing up for the evening session). Evening meals are now cooked from scratch, no tins, jars or packets meaning less sugars etc. These are generally chicken or beef based recipes. Deserts/snacks usually a fresh fruit cocktail with Greek yogurt or homemade flapjacks.

Don't forget hydration either. Two litres of water daily not including shakes/lucozade sport (used only during high intensity sessions - like tonight's 2km sesh) or my one allowance of wake up coffee in morning.

I also take vitamin B complex, cod liver oil and a liquid Vit. D supplement to help the knees!

This has been pretty much the whole diet since I have been back in training.

The calf is still a little tight today. Will be getting on the foam roller after the 2km session later. Maybe a sports massage will loosen it up a bit? Cannot remember if I have mentioned this before but not sure it the calf issue is linked to driving. I commute an hour each way daily for work and do not have cruise control so the right leg is constantly working during the drive.

Anyway, time for porridge and a shake Smile

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 24-02-2017

wow, you do seem to have the nutrition angle covered

the driving could no doubt irritate the calf however if you able to keep them 'loose' then you should avoid injury

have a good 2k session (do you ever get a training partner for these sessions?)

on we go

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 24-02-2017

Trying to keep as loose as I can.

I train on my own - the interval sessions I have always done solo. I haven't been to the running club for a year, since I broke down halfway through my last attempted XC race for them. I haven't got anyone local to train with as I don't know anyone. I should make some friends up the local running clubs really :laugh: The only issue with that is they meet on a Wednesday and Friday and these are the High intensity nights on the programme. The other Club meets Monday and Wednesday and they do their speed work session on a Monday. It was better before I moved house as club nights were Monday and Thursday which are always easy running nights on the programme. The speed merchants at the club never understood why I wasn't interested in running with them on these club nights, their easy runs are too close to race pace even for them!

I will see if I can find some people to run with. It may take a while though.

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 26-02-2017

24-02-17
2km session rest 2 mins.

3.2km warm up
1. 4.21/km, 147 Peak Hr
2. 4.17/km, 155 Peak Hr
3. 4.13/km, 155 Peak Hr
4. 4.04/km, 161 Peak Hr
2.6 km warm down
Peak hr 161
Average Hr. 140
Totals:
14.2km
74:43

The session felt good. Maintained control throughout. Pushed a sprint finish last few hundred metres of last km. felt like I could have done another interval, legs were good on way back after session. Felt big big difference from last two session I did. Much stronger in legs.

26-02-17
17.78km
93:38
5:15/km
134 ave hr
151 peak hr

Been breaking in some Sauconys on the short runs this week. Today was probably last run with the Asics. Calves, quads etc ok, right one a little tight but not worsening. It is 8pm now and legs do not feel like They have run 11 miles today!
Looking forward to Wednesday session already. 4:10s on the cards.

Off to walk the dog now!

Darren

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 28-02-2017

remember to keep it simple once you start feeling good

don't look to do more than necessary

enjoy

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 03-03-2017

27-02-17
5.40km t/m 1% inc
30:01mins
131 ave hr
139 Peak HR

28-02-17
5.20km
25:25mins
141 ave hr
152 Peak HR

01/03/17
6x1km R90
3.27km warm up
1. 4:10.4 Peak HR 144
2. 4:08.4 Peak HR 149
3. 4:10.4 Peak HR 153
4. 4:10.3 Peak HR 153
5. 3:56.7 Peak HR 156
6. 3:40.1 Peak HR 159
2.73km warm down

:whistle::tongue pop:Wink Can't believe I ran the second km so quick! :jester:

Felt good going into the session. There was a slight drizzle to keep me cool. It was later in evening so no moving obstacles around park either. Don't ask where the last km came from, I went for consistency in first 4 then upped a bit as was feeling good then went for it in last, despite pace i managed to kick with about 150 to go and hold the increased pace through to finish, the Garmin data backs this up. Legs were good, wasn't overly straining and recovered quickly after session. Felt it a little in calves and hams yesterday so restricted pace on treadmill (below) and got the foam roller out and the right calf on it last night. Feels good this morning.

02-03-17
5.31km t/m 1% inc
30:01mins
125 ave hr
135 Peak HR

In other news - I have an operation on the 15th March. Will look to finish this cycle and squeeze in another longer run before being forced to rest for another week or so. Once first cycle is done post op, will be looking to enter a race or too. What do you think to this plan coach?

On we go!

Have a lovely weekend.

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 05-03-2017

Daz, you getting the balance right, that last km must give you loads of confidence

hopefully you able to recover well from the op

based on that recovery we can look at the next races

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 05-03-2017

03-03-17
11.74km
64:33
5:29 pace
133 ave hr
150 Peak HR

Legs were not feeling tip top so was a bit of an awkward plod in the rain. Was conscious of not pushing the body beyond what it was prepared to do.

05-03-17
5km tempo run.
3.2km warm up.

1. 4:18.9
2. 4:17.3
3. 4:19.5
4. 4:17.6
5. 4.19.3
Average HR 146. Peak HR 152.
Total: 21:33.7

2.7km warm down.

Tried to run the paced session with consistent splits in mind. Was conscious not to break the 21:30 threshold. Comfortable run, didn't feel strained stressful on body or mind at any point. Breathing was comfortable and HR was very consistent throughout session. Legs were ok during and after too. It al looks promising for further improvement. Just following the process, sticking to the plan and reaping the gains!

On Sturday I walked the dog over to park run and had a chat to a few people, running club membership renewed is this month for the next year, that is good timing! Looks like the collage do sports massages on a weds night so that is on the menu shortly and will be a regular to keep the calf loose. £7 a session can't be grumbled at. May even be able to get together some contacts and training partners once I get up to the club on a more regular basis.

Productive weekend all in all.

Darren

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 12-03-2017

looks good Daz, and you now getting in the position where you monitoring yourself quite well

good about the massage too

nice going

TheEd