Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 07-10-2011

Thanks and you also.

I am looking forward to hitting the road tomorrow morning, got so much energy to burn!

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 09-10-2011

I was a bit apprehensive yesterday morning when I got up because I wasn't sure how I would cope with running for so much longer that I have up to this point since returning to training. However, despite starting a little too quickly I managed to complete the following;

Dist (KM): 7.13
Dur (min): 40:00
Pace (m/km): 5:36

1 05:14
2 05:28
3 05:35
4 05:44
5 05:37
6 05:46
7 05:50

There were few unatnicipated gates along the way as this was a new route :tourist::tourist:
The last few hundred metres home was virtually a crawl, lol.

I am pleased that I run the whole distance, the legs struggled a little, but I think that was down to having two days off prior!
I am not pleased with the eratic pace but I am sure that will come as I get more KMs in the legs.

Today the legs feel a lot better than I thought they would, recovery is getting quicker, especially immediately after the runs, so the signs of improvement are definately there.

Tomorrow I have the first speedwork excercise, I will set off on my usual starting route, but it is 1km downhill and 2km up hill so will be a real test to
to do the first two of three km @ 5mins per km but I will give it a go!

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 10-10-2011

when you have done a longer run for the first time in a long time, it is advisable to be more cautious during at least the next 3 days after

hope it all works out

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 10-10-2011

Hi TheEd,

Upon reading your advice above, it now confirms why I thought I struggled this morning!

I went and attempted the 5/15/10 but it just wasn't going to happen...

1 06:38 (too conservatively perhaps)
2 04:41 too hard!
3 05:31 nothing left!
4 05:39 then I quit and walked the 10 min warm down home.

I changed my planned route after I set off because of how dark it was and didn't want to risk injury on the uneven ground off road. So from now on will stick to lite paths. There is a good 800m looped "island" so I can lap this as many times as I like without having to stop for traffic or people at that time in the morning, it is flat also- bonus.

Obviously not pushing myself in the first KM at trying to conserve as much as possible the the paced 15min. Went too hard and payed the price. I will get better at judging pace as I run more. Stretches tonight and tomorrow and we will see what Wednesday brings. Hopefully the legs will have a bit more in them by then!

Nevermind, onwards we go! Lesson learned.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 10-10-2011

I had a mini medical today.

Blood Pressure 170 - a little low but not dangerously so, as it has always been.
Resting heart rate - 50 BPM
Lung capacity test - 537, should be 580 on the hard blow test. 3.72, should be 4.21 on the long and slow blow test. :noway:
I have the lungs of a 49 year old, not good as I am 33 but this is exactly why I have tried to improve my health. I knew I was in bad shape and things needed to change, this has confirmed it. Sad

Relative to other poeple who have similar smoking history to me things could have been a lot worse apparently, so that is a minor positive. Nothing stands out as a factor that would have a major affect my this kind of training regime so I guess I will crack on for the moment whilst I sort out a more detailed examination.

Had a good stretch tonight to ease the legs, probably do the same again tomorrow night before the run on Weds.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 11-10-2011

well at least you have that part done now and can get on with some positive forward moving steps Wink

enjoy

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 25-10-2011

MAN DOWN!! :rip:

This has not been a good few weeks. I have been suffering with what I thought was some sort of virus (lots of different symptons daya to day) culminating in a chest infection which kicked in last Wednesday. Over the worst of it but finding it difficult to breathe still. I did some light stretches and excercises last night but my body is punishing me for it today, very short of breath.

Obviously no running over this time which is very frustrating as alll the initial work has effectively been undone and will have to start again from scratch?

If I don't fell better by Thursday, it will be back to doctor for some tests on Friday morning. Sad

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 25-10-2011

shadydaz, sorry to hear this though you should come back with more resistance if you cautious on your return.

the first year taking up exercise can result in so many setbacks

hang in there

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 06-05-2015

It's been a while but I have been training again and have my first race on Sunday. It's a 10 miler. Should be a good challenge although a tough one having tripped on a run last night and fractured my right hand :duh:

Will post up some training stats later for what I have been doing over the few weeks.

Daz.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 06-05-2015

[Image: training%20record.png]

What I have been doing is above. In addition, stretches and core strength excercises almost daily.