Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 22-11-2017

Well it has been a while, Apologies.

Had the operation and it took much longer to recover than I anticipated. Still in pain now and again but it is managable.

Been turning the legs over again for a good few weeks. Built up nice and slow starting with a couple of runs a week cuminating in a paced effort at Parkrun Saturday just gone. The target was 23:30 given the training (mostly cardio with a either either a 5x1 or 5x2 once a week for last few weeks) thrown in.

19-11-17 Park Run time trial (1mile warm up/down to and from)
5km
22:31
4:30 pace
147 ave hr
168 Peak HR

splits:
4:35
4:37
4:36
4:32
4:10

That gives me a decent basis to get back on cycle starting... TODAY Smile

Sunday was 1 hour @ AVE HR 147
Monday 30 mins @ ave HR 133
Last night 30 mins @ ave HR 132

Most running is on treadmill @ 1% incline, turns out mine is clocking time slow and speed slow. Also the 1% supposed incline is much steeper than compared to the treadmill at the gym I have been using so the personal treadmill calibration has always been way out. never mind, its a means to an end.

So this cycle will be a sub 45 cycle with slower int sessions. will be looking at 2km sesh pace around 4:30 -4:40. The last 1km session I did (last Thursday) was very comfortable @4:30 with last rep @ 4:26. may look to that a smidge quicker.

Hope all is well with you readers and especially you and the family coach.

I will check in between days 3-8 to report on the important sessions.

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 22-11-2017

great to hear from you again Darren

and good to see you making progress, and what makes good reading is that you are in control of what you are doing and how to put it together

may the journey be smooth, with the wind continually at your back

Big Grin

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 22-11-2017

Thanks. Looking to train consistently over the winter months and see what next year brings.

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 25-11-2017

22/11/17
12km
1:10:12
Average HR 138

23/11/17
Gym treadmill 1% inc
30:02
Average HR 132
Struggled to keep HR over 130. Pace was 5:42/km. didn't want to go any quicker. Sort strength session mainly core based.

24/11/17. 5x2km session

Warm up 2.16km @6:13/km pace

Rep 1 @ 4:40/km, max HR 158
Rep 2 @ 4:38/km, max HR 161
Rep 3 @ 4:39/km, max HR 157
Rep 4 @ 4:39/km, max HR 164
Rep 5 @ 4:28/km, max HR 163

Average HR for session 148. This was done at the usual stomping ground, the small park with 1km loop. 9pm last night temp was about 0 and no wind. Perfect conditions for me. Downside was that during my second rep someone stole my drink and had to do majority of session on no fluid intake. However, extremely pleased with the conaistency of the times across the session and when I was contemplating stopping after 4, decided there was just about enough there to do the 5 and was able to finish very strongly down the last 400m or so.
There was nothing left in the legs so warm down was a 14min walk home. Felt comfortable through the session until that last 400m where I was pushing pretty hard. Stomach cramped up badly but I think that was relative to the fact that I had done some core work on Thirsday and was feeling that prior to the interval session.

That was 7 day run streak and legs are feeling it this morning. Getting plenty of fluid on board ready for tomorrow's long run.

Will take some vital stats tomorrow morning pre run so we know what sort of weight and condition I am in currently.

On another note, I am fully aware that I have bad gait and an extended stride length. My good wifey has been researching for Christmas and has mentioned something called a Milestone Pod. It attaches to your shoe lace and records data around stride, impact gait etc. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about these and how useful they are? For £30 ish seems like it may be a worthwhile investment. Thoughts or feedback form anyone on this is welcome.

Have a good weekend all. Will check in tomorrow.

Darren

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 26-11-2017

26/11/17
16.02km
1:33:03
5:48/km
150 average HR

No stops, felt ok but tough at times out on the hills for this one as most running has been TM based recently. Didn't look at the watch, just ran a comfortable pace and took it easy on the inclines. Started to develop a blister in the arch of my left foot at 11km, this will need some TLC over the next few days. Was a nice crisp morning, 2 deg C. No wind. Had skins on the legs as well as compression socks and gloves on the hands with long sleeves covering the watch data haha. Lovely early morning run. Day 5 of cycle done.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 27-11-2017

can't for the life of me understand those taking someone's water bottle, unless trying some mischievous nonsense

regarding the gait, when working with athletes in a squad environment, I was often able to check the runners when they trained or raced, however on the internet it is more difficult

I will look to read-up on the milestone pod

you seem in a good space with your training currently, long may it last when the weather shows its ugly side Smile

on we go

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 27-11-2017

TheEd Wrote:regarding the gait, when working with athletes in a squad environment, I was often able to check the runners when they trained or raced, however on the internet it is more difficult

TheEd

I can do a couple of short videos of me on the TM at different paces and from different angles and send the to you 👍 god bless modern technology and the Internet!!

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 28-11-2017

yes, we can try that. Do you have dropbox?

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 30-11-2017

TheEd Wrote:yes, we can try that. Do you have dropbox?

TheEd

I did have an old account that I can't seem to access at
The moment but could make a new one. Down the gym tonight so can get a friend to do some filming of me on the treadmill at different paces.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 30-11-2017

27/11/17
5.17km
30:02
TM 1% inc
134 ace HR

28/11/17
5.2km
30:05
TM 1% inc
131 ace HR

28/11/17 6x1 session
10.00km
51:20
Warm up 2km @ 6:00/km 1% inc.
6 x 1 km @4:26 no incline
Max HR each interval;
1. 149
2. 166
3. 171
4. 173
5. 176
6. 177
R60's @ 6:00/km pace no inc
Warm down @ 6:00/km about 1.4km rounding total distance up to 10km.

Was an ok session. Nothing fancy, no land-speed records in the last Rep. Wanted to run consistent pace hence why opted for gym last night instead of the park. Despite it being too warm for me the effort was comfortable, pace didn't feel too taxing and probably could have run the last few reps quicker but it no need to risk injury or excess stress on the body during this first cycle. Legs surprisingly fresh this morning too. Happy with the effort and good signs for the future as there seems to be plenty more in the tank!

Some vital stats from this morning:

Age 39
Weight 68.7kg
Body fat: 14.3%
Resting HR: 49

Shed a couple of Kg since I started running again. Was around 71 5 or 6 weeks ago. Energy intake is good, just shredded some of the dad-bod muffin belly that was there :laugh: