Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

RE: To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 01-12-2020

how things progressing Daz

RE: To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 18-01-2021

(01-12-2020, 10:20 AM)TheEd Wrote: how things progressing Daz

Still got an issue.  Ongoing Soft tissue therapy hasn't yeilded any results as of yet.  Running occasionally, just short, gentle efforts every so often as testers (maybe 2x6km a month).  Very frustrating as seemingly no progress of recovery despite trying several types of rehab/physio.  At a bit of a loss as exactly what the issues is STILL.  It just isn't going away despite trying all sorts.  Huh" alt="Huh" title="Huh">

RE: To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 19-01-2021

not great news Daz ... are you able to pinpoint where the problem is now or are you getting a number of referral areas (pain from different places)

TheEd

RE: To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 12-02-2021

I finally have an answer. It is Hamstring tendonopathy. I have been treating it and doing strength excercises two-three times a weeks for a few weeks. No running. After the first few sessions digging into the area with a massage ball to free up the fascia it feel a lot better. Already I do not feel it anywhere near as much but i will continue with the rehab treatment for this month with a view to start short, easy runs again in March.

I am still cycling without issue and have been spending a significant amount of time on the turbo trainer over the winter months. Cycling has not directly affected othe ongoing issue in any way. I have maintained a good base fitness and the legs have grown new muscles, the glutes are now activating and getting stronger (something I was struggling to realise during the runnning) It will be interesting to see what affect the cycling has on the running when I get back into full training cycles. I will be continueing to cycle and once allowed, will be swimming also. My FTP is up to 3.9wkg.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Darren.

RE: To race is but a dream... - MarkCo - 14-02-2021

Look forward to seeing you back running Daz.
With any luck we might manage a race in the spring or summer !!

RE: To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 15-02-2021

Hi Daz .. are they able to pinpoint why the problem is occurring .. preventative exercises etc

hope things become easier towards running as you progress

TheEd

RE: To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 15-02-2021

It's the same side where I had a groin issue a year ago (the Cambridge Half Marathon PB) so I think it developed naturally through protective over compensation of the abductor as a result of that. The front end is completely fine now. Being quad domiminant, trying to activate the hamstrings/glutes more to protect other areas probably put too much strain on it.

RE: To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 17-02-2021

keep me informed Daz .. there is a balance between the quads and hamstring

if the quads have to over protect the hamstring, the knee may begin to have problems .. you a footballer in disguise Smile .. this is the most common sequence with footballers ...

groin .. hamstring .. knee Smile

good luck here's hoping you helped to get physically in shape

TheEd

RE: To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 10-05-2021

(15-02-2021, 05:37 AM)TheEd Wrote: Hi Daz .. are they able to pinpoint why the problem is occurring .. preventative exercises etc

hope things become easier towards running as you progress

TheEd

(17-02-2021, 05:33 AM)TheEd Wrote: keep me informed Daz .. there is a balance between the quads and hamstring

if the quads have to over protect the hamstring, the knee may begin to have problems .. you a footballer in disguise  .. this is the most common sequence with footballers ...

groin .. hamstring .. knee  good luck here's hoping you helped to get physically in shape

TheEd

My body does acts like a spoilt little princess a lot of the time but I am please to say that I have been up and running for a few weeks. Very slow and easy.  I will be honest, the issue has not completely gone but it is manageable. In order to lessen the load on the hamstring, I am now cycling and swimming too.  I have been base building over the last 5-6 week and slowly building up the running mileage.

week commencing 06/04/21
2 x run total 12km 

week commencing 13/04/21
3 x runs total 19km
2 x cycle total 55km (work commuting 1 day)

week commencing 20/04/21
2 x runs total 16km
6 x cycle total 150km (work commuting 3 days)

week commencing 27/04/21
3 x runs total 26km
8 x cycle total 216km (work commuting 4 days, run club commute 16km)

week commencing 04/05/21
4 x runs total 35km
6 x cycle total 128km (work commuting 2 days 100km, 6km swimming commute, 22km tempo Brick session with 10km run yesterday)
1 x swimming total 1000m
1 x yoga 40 mins

Progressing nicely, the running mostly been between 5:30-6min/km, legs have just started to wake up again and HR has started to drop.

lets see what happens over the next few weeks.

Darren.

RE: To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 11-05-2021

nice to hear you on the move again Daz

hopefully things become better for you

TheEd