Running Information Forums
Can i mix running and football? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i mix running and football? (/Thread-Can-i-mix-running-and-football)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 20-02-2009

Stevie your time-trial shows a very definite ability of natural speed in the first km and then very much a display of lack of aerobic fitness

starting next week your first session will only be 3 x 2000m

the pace for the 2000's will be starting with 4.15 to 4.20 per k .. which will give you 8.30 to 8.40 per 2k

your rest in-between each rep is 90 seconds

consider that this session needs to be developed to 5 x 2k at that pace to show progress long-term

please ask questions

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 21-02-2009

Hi TheEd,
Thanks again for your advice, i'll do these 2Ks on Tues and let you kno my times.Smile

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 01-03-2009

Hi TheEd,
Thanx for your advise again, last week i finished off the sub 40min training program (as i was so far through it anyway) and ran a "mock" 10k (6 miles actually) on race day. I ran with a friend who can run around 35/36 mins for a 10k and he helped to pace me on the run.I pushed myself really hard and achieved the following times, (sorry they are in miles) (1)6min 43secs (2) 6min 40 (3) 6 min 26 (4) 6min 25 (5) 6min 30 (6) 6 min 17 which gives a total running time of 39min 01 secs for 6 miles.Smile
Im absolutely delighted with my time and im now going to go on to the 2Ks as you suggested.
My time tells me that when i have to really dig in, i can, its just very difficult to motivate yourself to go quicker when your running yourself and finding it tough, compared to trying your best not to let your friend get away.
Can you push too hard?? and whats the risks??
Should i still start with 3x 2Ks or try the 5x ???

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 02-03-2009

The secret to training is balance, knowing when to do the hard sessions and when to recover

and yes, as a beginner runner you can push too hard and pick up all kinds of injuries

for now, do the 3x2k only as you need to try balance your routine first, once that is done you can look at doing more in the future

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 02-03-2009

Thats great, will adhere to your advice thanx again, speak later.Wink

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 06-03-2009

Hi again,
I done my 3x 2Ks on Tuesday, times were a little to quick @ 8.00, 8.10 and 8.16, i feel that the problem i have is 1) judging my starting pace (1st k in 3.52Sad ) 2)generally sticking to the slower pace when i know to achieve my 40 min 10k i'll need to go under 4mins per k anyway.
I've also been talking to other runners in a club and they're saying that the 2ks are probably a bit long for the distance im aiming at and advising more on 1k reps??
One guy gave me an example saying that even some Marathon runners train on a 1k x 15 reps rather than 2ks and they're obviously training for a much bigger distance.
Well anyway, im going to stick to your advice and continue to do the 2ks, ive read back and probably think that i should be doing 5x 2k @ 8.30 rather than 3x 2ks @ 8 mins?
I dont see the point in doing 3 reps at a pace thats well within my capabilities(8.30) as i can only put in 1 session a week so i want to work hard at it, thats why i do a Tues, so my rest day is the Wed, which i cant run anyway.
Speak soon, thanx.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 06-03-2009

Stevie, I am not sure which 'Mickey Mouse' runners from a club you have been talking to however my experience and results with the 10k programs speaks for itself.

Also consider I have taken the time without charge to provide you information that can help you achieve both your desire to play football as well as attempt to achieve a 10k result.

So congrats on ignoring the 'peanut gallery' and continue with the work ahead

the 2000m session is one of the best ways to develop your speed endurance and on the normal 10k programs they have to do 5x2k repeats, so enjoy the slack Wink.

TheEd

:mrburns:

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 12-03-2009

Hi theEd,
I done a "long run" on Saturday of 11 miles at an easy pace which took me just over an hour and a half then on Tuesday, done my reps of 3x2k @ 7.56, 7.58 and 7.55Smile.I tried to keep under the 8 mins as i kno i'll have to , if i get to complete my goal.
Should i keep doing the 3x reps at that pace or drop the pace to 8.15 and increase the reps to 5x ? or should i be doing 2ks and 1ks alternate weeks, and if i do any 1ks, how many reps and at what pace? Thanx again.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 13-03-2009

HI Stevie

in the 2nd week you meant to do 6x1k

the 2000's are only done in the first week of the 3 week cycle Wink

but if you enjoying them so much keep doing them

Big Grin

if you look at the 3 week cycle

training program to run a sub 40 minute 10K

.. Day 3 would be 2000's and then Day8 would be the 1000's

Day 15 would be the 400's

you needed to keep the quality sessions (most important) and then juggle the training around

somewhere there has been a misunderstanding Wink

Please ask further questions

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 14-03-2009

Hi theEd,
Yes , i think i misunderstood you :duh:but now im clear to my work ahead and i'll stick to it.I'll let you know how i go in due time thanx.Wink