Running Information Forums
Can i mix running and football? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i mix running and football? (/Thread-Can-i-mix-running-and-football)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 19-03-2009

Hi TheEd,
done my 6x1ks at 3.55, 3.55, 3.55, 3.58, 3.58 and 3.55, found it really hard after not gettin time to run at the weekend Sad, so Tuesday was my first run since Thursday due to "decorating commitments" (say no more):taped: but its done now and im looking forward to a "long run" on Saturday or Sunday then i'll do my 400s on Tuesday again.
Im really happy with the advice you've given me and appreciate it, thanx Ed.:notw:
Just read back to my earlier attempt at the 6x 1ks and im delighted at the progress i've made with your help but i still realise that a 40min 10k is some hard work away.:mrburns:

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 19-03-2009

Yep Stevie, you need to be doing the 2000's in at least 3.50 per k for a 7.40 to be going towards a sub 40 minute 10k

however you are moving in the right direction and you need to be patient

there are not many footballers who can run a sub 40 minute 10k, so that should make you quite unique

Big Grin

Enjoy and look after your legs and remain injury free

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 23-03-2009

Hi TheEd,
I've got a 5 mile run coming up on the 12th April (4 weeks yesterday) which i ran last year,wasn't going to run it this year but its a charity run and im going to do it. Whats the best preperation towards it, do i keep doing my 2Ks, 1Ks and 400 or is there something more beneficial on the run up to it.Also, its a part road, part dirt track hilly run, whats the best way to prep??
p.s. My 10k goal hasnt changed its just that theres no 10Ks till later.I done my "long run" yesterday covering 12.3 miles in 97 mins.Enjoying it.Smile

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 23-03-2009

The training you doing now will contribute to you running distances between 3 to 10k, so an 8k race will be fine

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 29-03-2009

Hi TheEd,
Just a quick update to make sure i dont over do it as u mentioned "balanced training" before. :mmm:
I done my 10x 400s @ 86 secs on Tuesday and today i done my "long run" covering 13.85miles in 2 hours.
Should i be looking to gradually increase my distance run at the weekends or sustain the distance and increase the pace?
Also, i've been talkin to other sportsmen,not runners, and they advised that a cold bath after a run is better for the legs than a warm one?? any advice on this?? Thanx.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 30-03-2009

Stevie .. cold baths .. warm baths what side of the bed to lie on during full moon

focus on the running and don't get caught up in all the mumbo jumbo of running and sport

See under our Beginner Runners section
As a beginner do not get too involved in all the jargon and 'new' ways of training

this is one of the fall mistakes of anyone new to running

you are not running at elite level (yet) so keep the running simple

As for the long run, there is no need to even consider increasing the distance or pace, as it is certainly not a need for you currently

however only do the long run once every 3 weeks and not every week

on the other 2 weeks do 1hr only and with the middle week the 1hr pace can be a little quicker, we need to establish what pace this will be once you have a few race / tests under your belt

Hope this helps

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 31-03-2009

Of course it helps, i'll stick to your advice and keep workin on, got a 10k planned for28th May and then theres loads of them to pick from after that.
Thx again.Wink

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 09-04-2009

How things going?

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 14-04-2009

Hi Ed, Things going good, still enjoying my running and its benefits.

Been doing my 2ks, 1ks and 400s at the appropriate paces and trying to keep them even times and to eliminate my quick starts and "dying ends" :laugh:
I done my 5 mile run yesterday up and down some serious hills in a time of 35 min 10 secs which sounds slow but is 2 and a half mins exactly quicker than i ran the same run in September, which is when i ran 10k in 44 min 10secs.
I lack race experience, (done 4 organised races in total) because i get too excited and pay attention to "real runners" and start too fast Smile
Yesterday i done my first mile in 5min 40Sad then slowed up and tried to level out but by that time it was too late :duh:
I'll need to learn from it and will try desperately to do so.
Enjoying it though and keeping injury free (almost) and continuing to do my sessions tonight.I think i'll concentrate more on the 1Ks and 2Ks though, as im finding the 400s a bit too easy(done them last week at a steady 86 secs secs then ran the last 1 quicker to see if i could, and done it in 77secs) i feel i get more out of the others and they must be benefiting me more as im tired after them, wot u think?

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 14-04-2009

Hi stevie

if you won't to become more hardened towards 10k racing you can increase your 2000's by one more, so you will be doing 4

eventually getting you to 5 will make 10k races seem a breeze

great to see you enjoying yourself

TheEd