Running Information Forums
Can i mix running and football? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i mix running and football? (/Thread-Can-i-mix-running-and-football)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 05-03-2010

Hi Stevie .. nice to hear from you

try to increase the 1000's to 5 as then you will get more benefit

and I would consider racing the 21km unless u run easy the first 6km and then see how you feeling

normally if you training on the (full) 10km programs and you training to achieve sub 40 minutes you probably more likely to get the sub 90 minute 21km once in close shape for the sub 40 minute

but that does depend on the Sunday long run

Cheers and enjoy

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 11-03-2010

Hi TheEd,
Im not going to run the half marathon which i was considering.
I increased my 1ks to 5x instead of 3x as u advised and done them all inside my target of 3.50, i got 3.40,3.45,3.47,3.50 and 3.50 which i was pleasantly surprised with.
I looked back to my times last year for the same sessions and this is the best i have done so far.
I also done my long run at the weekend which came in at 15 miles in a time on feet of 2hrs.
For my 2k sessions, can u advise me on number of reps and target time please.
Judging by these times, what time would you expect me to be achieving in a 5k/10k race?

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 12-03-2010

wow .. a 2hr run .. that would cover u for a 21km run Wink

nice going with the 1000's

if you only doing 3 x 2k then attempt to do the session at 3.55 to 4 minutes per k

as a 'guesstimate' running around 20:30 for 5km should be possible and a sub 42 minute 10km for now should be another possibility

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 13-03-2010

Hi The Ed,

First time i've saw you using the "wow" word,was that in shock or secret admiration :laugh:

Thanks for your advice as always, I done my usual 5k Parkrun today round the hilly course and pressed it hard giving me a time of 20.04 (WOW!!):laugh: which is a p.b. for me, so im obviously delighted.
Im going to do an easy 10 miles tomorrow, then i'll do my 2k reps this week and report back to you, i think i'll attempt
3x2k R90 @ 7.55 and see how i go, cheers m8.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 13-03-2010

nice going Stevie be careful not to over extend yourself during the recovery run tomorrow as a 1hr run would be sufficient

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 14-03-2010

Hi TheEd,
I never read your thread till i came in today, i done my "long run" covering 11 and a half miles in a time on feet of 1hr 30 which i realise is probably a bit much after pressing hard yesterday,Rolleyes so im going to avoid running hard on the days that aren't race days.
Im going to look up the next 10k race and prepare for it by working back from race day and remaining disciplined, i'll let you know in due course how im getting on, thanks.:mrburns:

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 17-03-2010

Hi TheEd,
I have a 10k planned for the 20th May, so im going to go on to the 40 min programme on the 2nd and im going to stick to it without fail, which i done in the past and have 100% belief in it as my time rapidly tumbled from 44 mins to a p.b. of 41.11.
One thing i want to know before i get into it, on the 5k paced run, it says aim sub 20- which for me is a 100% pressed run, should i adapt it to a high tempo run at 90% effort to avoid "over exertion" maybe sub 20.30?
I'll take what you say on board as always, but maybe by that time a sub 20 wont be as much effort as it currently is.
Meanwhile, i'll be doing my 1 and 2k sessions alternatively with light runs during the week. At the weekends i'll be doing alternate long runs,tempo and fartlek work, might throw in a bit of hillwork too, but i'll taper it right down to get a fresh start on the 1st day of the programme.
I'll keep you posted as to my "progress"
Cheers Wink

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 18-03-2010

20:30 sounds like a sensible plan

may sure to monitor your legs and health between sessions as often when you step up your training the body takes a while to adapt

caution is the key

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 19-03-2010

Caution it is then, 1 last thing before i "run off"..i attempted 5x2k @8mins last night and failed.The wind and rain was bad (not an excuse though) and i only managed 3 reps in times of 7.55,8.02 and 8.10 at which point i was struggling, cold and soaken, so i called it a day.
My question is, am i better doing 5 reps at 8.10 or 3 @ 8mins as im obviously not at the level to do 5 at 8 mins yet.Maybe even complete 5 reps regardless of time but keeping 1st three as near to 8mins as possible thx in advance.
I'll speak to you before "race day" and let you know what stage im at and u can advise me on what pace to run i.e. go for it, setting out at 4min Ks or 4min 05 Ks would be sensible and still give me a p.b.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 19-03-2010

for 10km training 5 x 2k is best session

for 5km training then 3 x 2km is a doable session

5 x 2km @ 4 minutes per k is maybe a tall order and you can gain the benefits of doing 8.10 (4.05 per k) rather

Cheers

TheEd