Running Information Forums
Can i mix running and football? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i mix running and football? (/Thread-Can-i-mix-running-and-football)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 22-04-2010

Hi TheEd,
Just updating you on what i've been doing, been doing some long runs and combining them with some speedwork which i think is my weakness.I done a 5 mile race 3 weeks back and achieved 35.27 over the extremely hilly route on a hot day and would u believe it, got a 1st place to secure my 1st and last podium position which im both proud of:great: and slightly embarrassed :notworthy:due to winning and running at my level.
:mrburns:Anyway, the last two Saturdays, i've done a 5k run and pressed them,coming in at 20.04 and 20.01 over different routes, i've also been doing easy 30mins-1hr runs and tonight i done a 3x1K@3.45 which i achieved at 3.45,3.41 and 3.45 after which, i was breathing hard,:whistle: so i tested myself and ran another K to see what pace i could manage and got 3.51 which im happy with.:great:
I feel that i have the stamina but need to work on my speed, so thats what im doing.
Like i previously said, im going on to the training programme on the 2nd May to prep for my pre-entered race on the 20th but this weekend im doing a flat 10k race to see what kind of shape im in, i'll let you know how i go, thx for your help as always :ok:

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 23-04-2010

:wow: .. congrats Steve

seems you have everything under control and you are enjoying it

how are you balancing out your week training, which day sessions?

Cheers

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 25-04-2010

Hi TheEd,
I done ,my flat 10k today on a wet but mild day with little wind (so no excuses) Smile and got a p.b. in a time of 40.51 which to be honest, i was expecting to be around.
To answer your question, ive been doing my long run on the Sunday and my sessions on either a Wednesday or Thursday, depending on work.
This week coming, im going to do my session on Wednesday, then im going to start the training programme on the following Sunday (2nd) with the 60-70 mins.
Im going to work hard and hopefully i'll reap the benefits on Race day.
I'll report back with any issues which may arise as i work through the schedule, Thanks again :ok:
p.s. im going to run my usual 5k on Saturday for the last time before committing myself to the schedule starting the following day, will it be ok to press it or will i just strole round with my son in around 22min pace?

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 25-04-2010

to press it would be fine as you could gain out of a strong 5km

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 02-05-2010

Hi TheEd,
I done my 5k run yesterday in a time of 20.04 with the wind playing a slight part in it- first K @ 3.50 and last K @ 4.00. on a circular loop with the wind behind at the start and in your face in the last 2K.
Anyway, i started the 40min 10k schedule today and done a time on feet of 63 mins which caused no problems, i'll speak soon and let you know how im getting on with the sessions as they come, thanx.

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 04-05-2010

always tough when you have to finish into a wind

terrible

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 04-05-2010

Hi TheEd,
No wind tonight for my 2k session which i was happy about :laugh: I done the 5x2K @7.50-7.55 R90 and got 7.55,7.55,7.55,8.01 and 7.55 which i'm delighted with (more so now that i've finished lol) This is the best 2K session i have ever managed.I feel good now and this has given me confidence at a good time in my training.
I've always struggled with this session and gave it my "all" tonightand will enjoy my rest day tomorrow.
I'll report back after my 1K session or tempo run and keep you up to date on my progress, meanwhile i'll continue with the easy runs and the time on feet ones which i have never caused a problem.
Speak soon Smile

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 05-05-2010

that is a quality session stevie .. now you are on track for better things to come

the 5 x 2k session is THE session

TheEd

Can i mix running and football? - Stevie - 09-05-2010

Hi TheEd,
I done my 6x1K session today which i thought was at 3.55 per K which i completed with 100% effort (really struggled and feel i couldnt have managed quicker) then when i returned home and went to log it, i realised that it should have been done at 3.45-3.50 but its done now.:mad:
Im a bit dissapointed that i targetted the wrong time, but as i said, i dont think i'd be sitting here saying that i managed the quicker time anyway, so im not letting it bother me.
I've been doing my other runs comfortably doing my 90 mins time on feet covering just over 11miles, my 30 mins easy covering 3.8 miles and my easy 10k at 48 mins.
So all's going well and race day is approaching fast.Speak soon Wink

Can i mix running and football? - TheEd - 10-05-2010

Stevie, you must remember that previously you trained in a way that only touched on training and now you have stepped up your sessions, so you need to give your body to absorb and adapt to the increase in intensity, sometimes this can take a while

be patient, monitor your body (watch your am pulse) and be kind to yourself and in the end you should enjoy the improvement

TheEd