Running Information Forums
My 21k Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: My 21k Training (/Thread-My-21k-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 15-11-2011

Ah yeah, I know they will become quicker and more consistent. When I work it out, running 10km at 5.40 would be okay right now since I'm up closer to the hour mark.

Slow and steady wins the race and all that. I have plenty of time until my half marathon so I'm not going to rush things as I know the pace will improve over time with consistent training.

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 17-11-2011

So I did my first set of 2km today.

My target was 5:50 per Km

Lap 1 - 10:28 - 5:14/Km - AvHr 155
Lap 2 - 10:54 - 5:27/km - AvHr 160
Lap 3 - 11:14 - 5:37/km - AvHr 162

I forgot to read the rest period before I left the house so I just took 60 seconds. Just checked it again and realised it was 90-120. I'll have to be more careful to double check in the future!

I found this reasonably comfortable, I wasn't busting myself although I found that on km 4 I was slowing, but with the break I was then able to keep that kind of pace for the last set which was still okay.

Is there any more info you require from me in terms of averages etc?

My 21k Training - TheEd - 17-11-2011

this is good going BUT do note this session is optimal when you are doing 5 x 2k

seems as though you have something on tap there that can be used Wink

for next week's 6 x 1k session you can look to be 10 seconds quicker than this pace .. so 5.20 per k should be good

for these 2 weeks focus more on getting the routine right and don't look for performance

nice going

TheEd
ps.. provide the feedback and then we can work off the data as we go along

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 18-11-2011

5 x 2? Ha, okay.

I was going off the sub 50 minute schedule which gives me 3 reps for this week hence I did that.

Anyway, I'll aim for the quicker time next week with the extra rep too.

And yes, keeping to the routine is half the battle for me, making sure I get out there enough and get the sessions done.

Still, I've really enjoyed these last 4 or 5 weeks back at the running, looking forward to Saturdays long run.

My 21k Training - TheEd - 18-11-2011

no need to up the amount ... this will happen with natural progression

enjoy the training and know there is still a lot more to come

Cheers

TheEd

Eh, a little confused now...

So for my 1km next week should I do 5x1km at 5:20, or 6x1km?

My 21k Training - TheEd - 18-11-2011

you can do 6 x 1k next week

what I was saying, as I had mentioned the 5 x 2k, was that there is no rush to get to doing the 5 x 2k session .. it will come with development

Smile

hope there is not much further confusion

enjoy your weekend

TheEd

That's what I thought.

Thanks again for all the feedback and help.

I'll keep you posted as to how I'm getting on.

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 22-11-2011

So, here's what the week held for me...

I did the schedule as planned. On Saturday I did 1 hour 40 as it was exactly 16km and ended not far from my flat, so I just stopped then. It was a 6.17km with an AvHr of 153bpm. I found it okay, a little laborious but generally comfortable. My legs were a bit stiff afterwards so on Sunday I just jumped on the bike for a while instead of the proscribed 30 mins easy run.

I did the Monday easy 30 mins and then tonight (Tuesday) I did the 6x1km with a target of 5.20. Here's the times and heart rates.

5:06 - 145bpm
5:03 - 160bpm
5:01 - 152bpm
5:07 - 152bpm
5:02 - 154bpm
5:06 - 155bpm

I took a 60 second break the first time and then took 90 seconds for the rest of them as I thought I wouldn't have made it if I had only taken 60 seconds per break.

I was in a strange mood for this run as I was very tired (so much so I had to take a half an hour nap before I headed out for this session) but I did eat well and hydrated well during the day and I felt I probably could have done maybe another 2kms under the 5:20 after this. As I said, it was a weird one. Glad to be able to post good times though, so I'm very happy with myself. (And for sticking it easily enough!)

What should my target be now for Saturdays 5km run?

Thanks for the feedback, it keeps me encouraged to stick at this.

My 21k Training - TheEd - 22-11-2011

5.40 to 5.45 per k should be a decent enough pace

seriously no need to go quicker than this for now

enjoy the rest of the week

TheEd
ps.. great to be of service and motivation