Running Information Forums
My 21k Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: My 21k Training (/Thread-My-21k-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 01-12-2011

So, lots of catching up to do here.

Last Saturday's 5km paced run went like this...

5:15/km - 143AvHr
5:20 - 147
5:28 - 152
5:39 - 154
5:24 . 152

I found myself mentally slowing in the middle. It seems strange, but I tend to slow down when I know I'm on my way towards the end of a run but once I got back into a quicker stride it was no problem. This, for sure, is a mental barrier I have to get over.

I missed Sunday's 10km as I got called in to work. Annoyed at that as I would like to see where I stand now over the 10km, but since you say not to try and make up the missed sessions that'll have to wait to the next time.

Tuesday's reps were as follows. I set myself a 10km pace of 5:20

5:02/km - 143AvHr
5:05 - 160
5:01 - 163

I seem to be starting quite fast as my first lap is always quick by what I set out to do and then I tire and the time rises. Maybe I need to deliberately start slower. The thing is that when I start at a reasonable pace it's a very comfortable stride.

Since Saturday is supposed to be Race day, what do you recommend I do until the start of the cycle again next Tuesday?

My 21k Training - TheEd - 01-12-2011

these things happen however it seems you have been quite sensible about it all

you can do a 4k time-trial to monitor your progress if you wish

so enjoy

TheEd

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 05-12-2011

So, the cold got me this weekend. I thought I was okay today and tried my time trial and I only lasted a km and a half. Completely drained of energy.

I'll try again for a 30 min easy on Wednesday and again on Friday and then do my TT on Saturday (all being well) and begin the cycle again next week.

Very bloody frustrating. :mad:

My 21k Training - TheEd - 08-12-2011

unfortunately these things happen when first starting out with a new training schedule

the body's resistance should become stronger

hope you recover soon and watch your morning pulse rate

TheEd

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 13-02-2014

Wow, such a long time ago this all seemed!

Anyway, since then I did my first half (2:01.30) and then four weeks later I did another (1:57.30) and all of it thanks to your training here.

I have since had ACL surgery (some 16 months ago) but I'm back out running and I'm doing another half in May.

I've done a few 10kms, a 1x15km and lots of just simple 5km/30mins type running over the last while and now I'm heading back out on the 3 week schedule. I have penciled in 4 cycles before the race and I'll begin with the TT on Saturday.

Wish me luck!

I'll let you know my TT times.

My 21k Training - TheEd - 14-02-2014

Ciaran, good to hear from you

what was the story behind the ACL surgery?

nice to have you running again

TheEd
ps.. will be good to see your 4k time-trial time

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 14-02-2014

Yeah, it will interesting to see what the times are like tomorrow. I'm working this evening and I have been a wee bit blocked up the last few days but I'd say I'll be grand.

I did a 5km during the week with an average of 5.46m/km and I surprised myself that I had a fair bit in the tank to be able to step it up halfway through when I saw my times were crap and even when I finished I felt like I could have carried on at that pace for another couple of kms. I've been doing some 5km with a friend and she's fairly slow so I think that helps me too.

It turns out I had been carrying the ACL injury for years. There was a wee bit of pain in both knees (the other was only some inflammation behind the patella so tablets sorted that one) and I decided to get it checked. When the doc saw the scans the first thing he asked me if I had ever played rugby! Bit of a shock to me! I play GAA until I was 18 or so so I must have been carrying it since then.

My 21k Training - TheEd - 14-02-2014

No need to do the TT this weekend if under the weather .. hold off till Monday or Tuesday if need be

enjoy weekend

TheEd
ps.. will chat more about knees as we proceed

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 15-02-2014

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I'm not too bad if truth be told so I guess I should be fine. Plus I'm pretty packed this week and also I have exactly 4x3 week cycles until the half marathon (11th May).

Yeah, I'll keep you posted on the knees. Oh how I love to hate them Smile

My 21k Training - Ciaran - 15-02-2014

So the times are in. I did a 1.3km warm up and I've rounded all the times up to the nearest second.

1km - 5:47
2km - 5:42
3km - 5:37
4km - 5:23

I think I should do at least 2km warm up to get those first two crappy kms out of the way as both this time and the run last Wednesday the first two were much slower than the rest.

I was planning on starting as normal on Monday with a 60-70 easy, right?

What should I aim for in the 3x2kms?