Running Information Forums
Post injury - wanting sub 40min - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Post injury - wanting sub 40min (/Thread-Post-injury-wanting-sub-40min)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Post injury - wanting sub 40min - TheEd - 04-04-2012

Dale, try to back off and give your body a chance to recover

Post injury - wanting sub 40min - sirchimp - 05-04-2012

TheEd Wrote:what must be realised is that you are all new to the cycles and whereas 140 may seem slow for some there is a major reason to the session for long-term development

and with the development, the athlete doesn't even concern themselves with the 140bpm during the session as their overall pace per km has improved, even though this would have been considered quite slow previously.

the rule of thumb focused on easy runs at 1 minute per k slower than current 10k pace .. for the 90 minutes and longer we added to 20 to 30 seconds per k for good measure

Hey TheEd...I think I understand what you're saying.

In my case, 140bpm no longer feels slow. I suspect it might be the right number for me. Though, when i first started running about a little over a year ago, 140bpm would have had me running really slow...barely a run. At the time, I was reading recommendations of 70% of my max heart rate, which suggested even lower 135 and down, and that was impossible for me to do and still actually be running. hehe...quite sad at the time.

What I'm wondering though, for Dale, his MAX heart rate appears to be higher than mine...so recommending 140bpm for him AND me seems incorrect.

However, the 1minute/km slower than 10k race pace...that seems much more definitive. In my case, I'm not sure what my 10k race pace is...though, I'm hoping to prove its <4:00/min next week. In my easy runs now, i'm running about 4:54-5:02/km to start, though in order to keep my pulse from going over 140, I do have to bump the speed down the longer I run.

So in summary, the 1min slower test seems to be pretty good for me as far as hitting 140bpm...but I'm prioritizing my heart rate over my pace, and slowing down to keep it at 140bpm. Is this correct? Or phrased another way...is this ideal? Its obviously not horrible...hehe...I'm still making progress. But I am really interested in what is considered the absolute best use of my training time.

Dale - what is your current 10k pace? If you back that off by 1minute/km, and go on a now 'easy' 10k run, how does your heart rate look over the course of it? Maybe try my strategy...start at that pace, then dial back the speed slightly as your heart rate bumps up against your target...?

(what that target is...be it 140...or maybe higher based on our HR differences...is still in question?)

Regards,

Post injury - wanting sub 40min - TheEd - 05-04-2012

it is very difficult to get everything accurate via the internet though through experience (of coaching) .. those new to running tend to train too hard and over complicate matters

keeping running simple is the key; and with the idea of less is more, we able to achieve the goal, which should be racing results

when adapting to the cycles, consistency achieves results and the best way to consistency is to avoid injuries and sickness

those new to running make all the mistakes an experienced coach would have seen before, training too hard too soon .. looking for results too quickly etc etc (as mentioned above)

the 140bpm works as an average and if the truth be told (in the beginning) it is there totally to put the athlete off from overtraining, as they develop to the next level the 140 and pace will all fall in sync

the program is made up of many facets and once the athlete has gone through a few cycles, then onto the off-period and through the build-up to the next stage of the 3 week cycles, the belief in the program and the understanding of what they are doing is normally in place and then the 'coach' becomes a sounding board

achieving this consistency and the flow of the cycles, in the end makes the 140bpm fully understandable (easy & relaxed recovery running)

hope this doesn't complicate matters

TheEd

Post injury - wanting sub 40min - dale_8888 - 07-04-2012

Just jogged to the surf today (about 200m) and I could feel the hip thing. My knee that was operated on still doesn't feel amazing and naturally, it is worrying me a bit. I guess I am kind of hoping that there is a way to compliment the running without doing so much pavement pounding. I was thinking if you rolled out that tri program it would probably be ideal as I could subsidise some of the easier jogs for rides or something? I am just scared with these injuries. Anyway, I won't really be doing any running until I get back now (05 May)

Post injury - wanting sub 40min - TheEd - 10-04-2012

here's hoping you able to rid yourself of the niggles

the tri program 'we' shall put out focuses on using swimming and running to compensate for much of the aerobic work

while using the running quality of the 10k programs to develop speed endurance

recover well

TheEd