Running Information Forums
10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? (/Thread-10k-training-how-fast-can-i-get-in-5-months)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - TheEd - 30-03-2012

this is the body telling you to take a break .. was always one of the main concerns about getting to this race

by now you will probably have done the 2k session, so will await your feedback

here's hoping it is nothing too serious

please look at Achilles tendonitis for just in case

http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/achilles.htm

TheEd
ps.. please note achilles problems are the last thing you want happening

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - sirchimp - 30-03-2012

Hey TheEd...

Turns out I'm lazy and just woke up...woke up earlier and was tired, so just decided to take the day off...i justified it by giving the body a rest.

That said, its feeling better today. Almost feels normal. So, probably a good move to take the day off, and do the 2k tomorrow.

This won't throw my cycle off either, as it turns out i have an extra magic day between now and the race. I'm in SE Asia, the race is in Vancouver, Canada....so when i fly back I gain a day. I'll aim to do my run here in the morning...fly, then do an easy run or rest in the afternoon when i arrive in vancouver.

My Jet lag will come as an advantage as well helping me wake up extra early for the race which is in the morning. Haha.

I'll review that page on Achilles Tendonitis....

for the record, I've never had a problem with the achilles...but I've never run so much or with such increasing intensity in my life as i have since November...so not really predictive.

Regards

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - sirchimp - 31-03-2012

So just finished my 2k session. Last night my achilles/right foot/meat on the end of my leg was still bothering me. Woke up today, it was feeling pretty good. Did a 1km warmup prior to the 2k...it was a little sore. Just standing there, trying to jump up and down, i could feel a little pain in the area..closer to the heel today. Almost like my shoot didn't fit and the back was digging into the tendon....That sounds worse than it was....it was really only slightly slightly sore.

I thought about not running, to avoid any chance of injury, but then decided to do it and if it started to hurt during the run, i'd stop.

During the run, no pain...and overall pretty pleased with the session:

Tread Mill - 1%
km | time | AHR | MHR
1 | 3:54.9 | 142 | 154
2 | 3:54.8 | 156 | 158
Total: 7:49.7 (R: 96.3s HR: 158 -> 116)
3 | 3:54.7 | 151 | 162
4 | 3:56.1 | 163 | 165
Total: 7:50.8 (R: 96.7s HR: 165 -> 128)
5 | 3:55.0 | 158 | 167
6 | 3:54.8 | 169 | 171
Total: 7:49.8 (R: 88.9s HR: 171 -> 145)
7 | 3:55.0 | 165 | 172
8 | 3:54.9 | 173 | 175
Total: 7:49.9 (R: 90.9s HR: 174 -> 151)
9 | 3:54.8 | 168 | 175
10 | 3:55.0 | 176 | 177
Total: 7:49.8 (R: 90.7s HR: 176 -> 148)
--------------------------------------
Total: 46:53.5 including rests *(new 10k record - haha)
Avg: 7:50.0
169/177 AHR/MHR

(to remind you...the total line:
Total: 7:49.7 (R: 96.3s HR: 158 -> 116)
Shows what my Heart Rate was at the begining of the rest, and what it was at the end...so my first break, HR started at 158 and at the end of the rest it was 116)

Managed to hit my target of 3:55/km. This was on the same treadmill as i've been using for the last 4+weeks, and same for the last 2k session. Overall this session felt easier than previous ones...so I am pleased about that.

My Music conked out midway through...so I had to concentrate on the 'pain'...i mean...'joy' of running instead. I'm curious if there is an science on what a runner should think about while running...does it help to concentrate on your body, breathing, foot cadence, that pain in the ankle, etc...? Or is there benefit to trying to distract yourself from all that...think about a math problem, or something else...?

Tomorrow is a rest day, which i'll gladly take. Considering my race is coming up, and considering my right foot/achilles/pain issues...what do you think about the long run in 2 days? Dial it back? don't be a baby? hehe...Last cycle i did 21k+ in 2hours...not sure thats a good idea...but you are the expert TheEd Wink

Thanks for the input!

Regards

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - TheEd - 31-03-2012

don't do the long run .. maybe consider some swimming or if you a capable cyclist then a long ride would definitely do

your body is telling you enough is enough and is sending out warning signs

hopefully you able to keep it all together till the event

good luck

TheEd

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - sirchimp - 01-04-2012

Ok. No long run. I'll see if I can find a pool, though my swimming skills are terrible. I do like biking, but i don't have my bike where i am...

I could do some 'spinning' on a cycling machine in the gym...realllly dislike those.

The foot/tendon was a little more sore later yesterday in the evening after the 2k session...but today its feeling pretty good.

How about the 2k session in general? not bad, no? Wink

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - TheEd - 01-04-2012

a good 2k session :o ( was this on a downhill course Wink )

you should also be OK for the 1k session

the long slow running may cause discomfort

TheEd

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - sirchimp - 01-04-2012

haha...nice one.

Actually, you bring up a question i have for you...what strategy should i aim for during a race on downhill and uphill parts of the course? Should I be speeding up or slowing down on either? Trying to maintain a constant pace?

This 10k race coming up has a few tricky sections:

1. The first 800m sees a 20m drop.

...relatively flat until...

2. About km 4.8, it climbs quickly up 20m over 600-700m.
3. Then back down 20m quickly over the same 600-700m distance. (this is one of two fun bridges to climb over)
4. a slow gradual climb 10m up and down over 3km...

then

5. Finally, over the last km we have a quick 10m climb over 500m, followed by a 12-13m drop over the last 500m (the second bridge) to the finish line.

Any thoughts on conserving energy, and tackling the hills both up and down?

At this stage I'm thinking of aiming for about 3:55/km from the start and look to maintain that...hopefully i'd be feeling good around km 7-8 and can bump it up... But perhaps there is some additional strategy regarding the hills...Is it easy to run down, in which case i should take advantage and try and speed up? Likewise on the up hill, should i slow down a bit? Or the opposite of that?

I know from my time trial running, and in part thanks to running TOO fast on a few sessions (and having to quit), once my heart rate goes above 170, i don't have much longer until I'm dead. So I think whatever i do, i need to probably keep the heart rate below 170 until about the 8km mark. I suppose i have to be willing to throw this method out the window during the race if say 165 feels too hard, or 173 feels easy...?

Hehe...I'm clueless on this front.

Any thoughts?

Thanks !!

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - sirchimp - 03-04-2012

Hey TheEd - I ended up just lazying about yesterday instead of swimming or running...I'm living out of a hotel, but alas it doesn't have a pool. Sad.

Today I did an easy 6k run:
Tread Mill - 1%
km | time | avg HR | max HR
1 | 5:47.9 | 113 | 132
2 | 4:54.7 | 133 | 138
3 | 4:54.9 | 135 | 139
4 | 4:54.8 | 138 | 141
5 | 4:58.8 | 142 | 145
6 | 4:52.2 | 142 | 151
Total: 30:23.3
133/151 AHR/MHR

No achilles pain before or after. Felt good. I dialed the speed up for the last 100m for a little fun.

Tomorrow I'm doing an easy/relaxed 10k...then followed by the 6x1km interval session the next day. I'm going to do that one outdoors on a track again, and aim for 3:45-3:50/km. Though last time i had trouble with pacing, i'm going to try to work on that for some consistency.

Still curious what your thoughts are on race strategy...

Regards,

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - TheEd - 04-04-2012

jump out first 100m quickly, then settle into a rhythm and from 1k start looking to run 4 minutes per k from 1k to 7km

then see if you able to run harder over the last 3km

you must show discipline by turning off the 'sprint' throttle from after 100m and settling into a relaxed rhythm

learning to maintain pace while achieving being relaxed is what the 2 and 1k sessions are about ..

so try to apply this in the race

if you run a pace of 4.05 or slower due to the terrain, do not try make up for it until the last 3km ..

simply look to run each km split at 4 minutes per k

please ask for further elaboration if this advice is not understood

Cheers

TheEd

10k training - how fast can i get in 5 months? - sirchimp - 04-04-2012

Ok, that sounds good.

What about on the hills....up hill and downhill. Anything special? Just try to maintain the 4:00/km?

What i was asking before if there was anything special with regards to down hill - Should I try to speed up a bit, take advantage of the less effort? Likewise with up hill - should i slow down a bit, not try and kill myself?

Or just a steady 4:00/km...?

Regards,