Running Information Forums
New year, new targets - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: New year, new targets (/Thread-New-year-new-targets)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

New year, new targets - TheEd - 11-12-2011

whereas you can work off the heart rate not to go too hard, one thing that must be remembered is that when you run hard to early your performance peaks before the event or events you want to run well

another good aspect of the build up program is that it provides a great deal of flexibility over the festive season

so it certainly is worth applying at this time of year

please ask further questions

TheEd
ps.. we can see the golf course from the one small terrace

New year, new targets - K4marathon - 17-12-2011

Hi TheEd,

Due to a stomach flu earlier this week, I had a five-day period of no running behind me. But I am fit again and today was the beginning of my build-up.
I did an easy 60-minute run. I ran just over 9km in about 58 min at an average HR of 136. I did not follow my HR monitor at all, I just ran in an easy pace without any target speed or distance.
I'll follow the program now for 3 or 6 weeks. I think it'll do me good as I have a feeling that I need to raise my basic condition this winter.

Let's stay in touch!

K4m

New year, new targets - K4marathon - 27-12-2011

Hello The Ed,

I am now half-way through the first cycle of the build-up, today was Day 11. I have followed the program fully so far, trying to take it very easy on the easy runs, and although I sometimes feel like running really very slow, I think it is working as I feel my legs a bit soar almost every day.
Today was very tough as I did the 5 * 8 min at 75%, almost straight after a floorball game that lasted 75 minutes. Therefore my legs felt heavy and my speed was not really strong today, but I could still finish the training without problems.

My times, distances and heart rates so far (each day following the instruction for that day exactly):

Day Distance Time HR (ave)
1 9,03 0:57:40 136
2 9,57 1:01:43 146
3 9,49 1:04:59 138
4 Rest
5 7,15 0:41:48 149
6 11,08 1:16:32 135
7 Rest
8 8,05 0:59:18 130
9 8,88 1:02:46 133
10 8,59 1:03:09 129
11 8,8 0:53:11 149

I'm thinking of doing two build-up cycles in a row, meaning I would finish my build-up around 26th January or so. Because I have time and I feel I really need to improve my overall condition.

Hope to hear from you soon.

K4m

New year, new targets - TheEd - 28-12-2011

K4m .. please make sure your legs recover as you do not want to come out of this build up feeling 'dead' ..

please let me know how it goes

after further feedback we will be able to see what position we in

Thanks

TheEd

New year, new targets - K4marathon - 01-01-2012

I took an additional rest day Thursday in order to really recover well. But then I've been feeling a bit weak the last days, feeling like I might be getting sick. I took just easy runs Fri and Sat in order not to push the body too hard, but I still feel like having a slight cold. Therefore I decided to take today and tomorrow off from running and just a relaxing massage Monday. Then hoping to return to the build-up from Tuesday or so. I will just shift the program so that I start again with Day 13 after I have recovered.

I seem to be getting sick easier than before now when training harder, or then it is just bad luck now. At least I have really proper running clothes so I am always warm and dry while running, despite this being quite a rainy season here now. Let's see how this continues through the winter. I really hope I will not have too many more interruptions like this...

New year, new targets - TheEd - 02-01-2012

monitor your am pulse rate as that will let you know whether you have recovered and where you stand

TheEd

New year, new targets - K4marathon - 09-01-2012

Good morning

I tried to come back to running last Tue (3rd Jan), as I felt fine and my rest pulse was normal. Nevertheless when I started to run, my pulse was really high from the beginning: 150 at very very slow speed. I thought it is only a reaction from my body that hasn't run for a while, but when the pulse didn't go down during the first 1,2km, I decided to stop and taka a couple of more days rest.
Returning on Friday, everything was normal and I started with an easy 6k run to check the general condition, and now I've returned to the program.
I'm doing one modification. As the weather here now is quite difficult (icy, wet, windy etc) I will do all runs indoor for a while, meaning I will substitute the "hill runs" with indoor runs at variable speed instead. I did that already yesterday and I think it has the right impact.
Anyway, it feels good to be back on track again. I really hope I can continue now without further interruptions.

All the best!

K4m

New year, new targets - TheEd - 09-01-2012

good to hear you getting back to running

what is needed is some running in the sun Wink and a round of golf no doubt

Cheers and enjoy

TheEd

New year, new targets - K4marathon - 10-01-2012

I definitely agree to this! Some sun is really needed in the near future!

Seriously speaking I start to understand now the importance of winter training camps for "serious" athletes. The last two months have been difficult here: dark, slippery and tempeeratures changing around zero degrees. Hard training here really puts you at risk for catching a cold this time of the year. And catching a cold immediately puts you out of training for a week or more.

For this reason, I have now moved indoor with my training for a while. Not as nice but keeps you away from getting sick.

Let's stay in touch!

K4m

New year, new targets - TheEd - 10-01-2012

most definitely highlights the need for training camps during the winter months

stay healthy

TheEd