Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - jamieh - 13-07-2012

I have to admit sub 34 is in the back of my mind too Wink Would be a great way to end the summer and start the XC season. I've found a flat 10k race on 29th September (after the Tri season is over). That's the one.

FYI: am pulse is 39-42

Sub 35 - jamieh - 17-07-2012

6x1kR60 (Track)

3:14
3:17
3:15
3:16
3:13
3:07

Weight: 78.0kg
Weather: Hot (28'C), Windy (9mph)

Another good session this afternoon. A little frustrated with my pacing... I was trying to hit 3:18-20 for the first 3, couldn't quite find the balance.

Particularly pleased that I was able to control, push on & descend the last 3. Final 400 felt fast and gave me a cheeky 3:07 which was a nice surprise!

Given that I'm running a HM on 29th (not a serious race), do you think there's any harm running a reasonably fast paced 5k this weekend?

FYI I ran a 24k (100 min) long run on Sunday in preparation for the HM. I just took it easy (HR@127). Felt good.

Sub 35 - TheEd - 18-07-2012

no harm in a fast 5k paced, as long as you don't hammer things straight after the 5k

Cheers

TheEd

ps.. I once coached an athlete who seemed to get into shape every 6 weeks (and quickly) .. I think you may fall into a similar bracket and it would be wise to consider a 10 day cycle in-between every 6 week cycles, to give you more of a chance at the upswing and at the prospect of continual growth .. it is not a case of simply continuing if feeling good but to have a period of easy running then a week of build-up and then straight into a cycle .. please ask more about this ([SIZE="1"]and by the way the athlete in question ran sub 8.40 for steeple[/SIZE])

Sub 35 - jamieh - 18-07-2012

You might be on to something there. I do seem to go through tougher periods & then swing back up quite quickly (& go even faster than I did in the last up-swing).

So: 2x cycles over a 6 week period (ideally with the key race at the end of the 2nd cycle). Then a few days easy + week build up & kick back into the programme the next Thursday?

It's worth a shot. I'd happily take an 8.40 3k... even without the steeples!

Would I also be able to balance this by working harder on the swim/bike in the easy/build phases of the running? Or were you thinking of this more as a rhythm for the whole tri programme?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 19-07-2012

Rhythm for the whole tri programme, however doing some further look into the swimming aspect, as swimming can be maintained at a high level without much breakdown, if you can avoid ligament and joint problems

We will try this once there is not something important happening and hopefully once you grab the sub 34 10k result Wink

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 20-07-2012

Paced 5k (track) 16:43

3:17
3:24
3:23
3:23
3:16

Away at the weekend so I had to do my paced 5k this evening at the track. Pleased with the result considering no rest day and a 2.5hr hard bike in my legs from yesterday evening Smile

Aim was to get under 17 and finish strong. The whole effort felt balanced and in control. Certainly felt a lot easier than the 17:18 of last cycle!

Cheers,
Jamie

Sub 35 - TheEd - 21-07-2012

nice going .. now make sure not to do too much for the next 3 days

no hard cycle riding (please)

swim is fine, cycling more towards 'proper' spinning'

enjoy the weekend

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 24-07-2012

10x400(R60) at the track this morning. All consistent 72-73, finishing with a 71.

I had pretty much had the whole weekend off training except for some easy social jogging. For some reason my quads (rectus femoris I think) are both incredibly tight so I had to ease into each rep. (maybe too much track this cycle?).

Have a massage booked for Friday. Will take it easy until then.

Any words of wisdom for the Half Marathon on Sunday? I've never run one before so not much Idea on pacing. It's an uphill road course with 200ft height gain (most of that in the last 5k).

Sub 35 - TheEd - 24-07-2012

try to hold yourself back and to be as easy as possible till the 18k

and then see how you feel from there

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 24-07-2012

Thanks TheEd. Nice and simple works for me Smile

Having a V02Max test done on Thursday on a treadmill, should be interesting. Never done anything like that before. I'll let you know the results.