Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - jamieh - 06-08-2013

6x1kR60, Track

3:14
3:15
3:10

Weight: 79kg
Weather: Hot (23), light wind.

Not my greatest ever 1k session, but I'll certainly take it after the abysmal 2k's on Thurs! It's an upward trajectory Smile. Generally felt pretty smooth throughout but was being cautious until the final one as was nervous about bonking again. Particularly pleased as I did some serious biking (about 7hrs total), strong swimming + a good 2hrs of recovering running over the weekend.

So onwards to the alps next week. Planning to do an evenly paced 5k on Saturday morning (picking up in the last 2k) before I fly on Sunday.

Given that I'll be racing a sprint try the weds following training camp (21st) would you recommend any key sessions while I'm in the alps? In particular on the Tues where I would usually do 400's (or recently 3x1600's). Maybe some sort of brick session (even swim/run brick since I have the aquathlon?).

Obviously main focus of the week will be overload on the bike/swim.

Cheers,
J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 06-08-2013

JH .. did I read 2hr run?

I wouldn't do a brick session now, give yourself full opportunity to recover from anything that could hurt the legs

swimming hard is not leg damaging whereas cycling too hard can damage legs

so believe and give yourself the right chance of absorbing everything

you have made this mistake in the past when you banged yourself too much, you know what happens in those scenarios

all the best

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 06-08-2013

No, no - 2hrs of running over the weekend. 75mins on Sat, 45 on Sun. I have learnt a few things from our conversations over the past 18 months Wink

Sub 35 - jamieh - 27-08-2013

Hey there,

Sorry for lack of posts. Generally crazy life at the moment. Key updates for the past few weeks:

1. Training Camp
- 6 days in the alps where I clocked 16hrs on the bike, 6 hrs quality swimming, 6 hrs steady running (although no 'proper' sessions) at 1,000m+ altitude. Finished the week feeling fantastic and down to a consistent 77kg. No niggles.
2. Sprint Triathlon
- After the training camp I took 3 v. easy days spinning/jogging/splashing + my usual 6x1min fartlek session & raced last Wednesday. Felt absolutely brilliant clocking personal (triathlon) bests in the 750 swim (9:08), 20k bike (26:30) and 5k run (16:58). Also came 1st overall and set a new course record which was nice Smile

So, since the Tri I spent 4 days sleeping in a tent at a music festival with no cycling or swimming.. but I got some solid morning runs in (60m on Fri, 90m on Sat, 60m on Sun, 60m on Mon (with 3x1k Fartlek @ 3:16 pace). Legs feeling good today. Still 77kg.

Including today, I now have 16 days till Aquathlon Worlds (1k swim, 5k run) and 20 days till Triathlon Worlds (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run). With a 1.5k Open Water swim raced planned for this Saturday.

Any thoughts on run program between now and then? Should I hit the 2k's this Thurs and try to squeeze in a shortened full cycle before the Aquathlon on 11th?

Look forward to hearing thought's!

J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 27-08-2013

nice going Jamie .. looks to have worked out really well for you

consider doing the following session:

3 x 2k

followed by

4 x 1k

this should be a fairly decent session

what pace are you thinking of running

cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 27-08-2013

Sounds good to me.

I was thinking of aiming at 6:45's for the 2k's, then 3:12's for the 1k's...

What do you think?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 28-08-2013

grand .. shall be interesting to see how it goes for you

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 29-08-2013

3x2k-R90 then 4x1k-R60 (Track)

6:33
6:32
6:42
- no extra rest -
3:12
3:07

Weight: 77.0kg
Weather: Breezy (8mph), hot (22 deg)

Cracking session today. Was absolutely floating around the track for the first 2x 2ks completely relaxed. Got a little nervous about the times by the last 2k so eased off a little to ensure I didn't blow up on the 1k's!

In hind sight should have gone easier on all the 2k's and faster on the 1's but even so it's still one of my best track sessions ever. Particularly so given that I'm in strong swim/bike shape!

Any thought's on program from here? Planning a long run over the weekend, not sure what would be best for next Tues quality? That will be 1 week out from the Aquathlon.

Thanks!
J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 29-08-2013

good session .. don't do the long run over the weekend .. it is not currently necessary

you can focus on doing a long cycle which is aimed at solid technique, specifically how you cycled in the race

there is truthfully not much you need to do in the form of conditioning now

what say you

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 29-08-2013

Only thing is (I haven't told you this yet...Smile) but I have my name down for a flat Marathon on Oct 20th. Obviously it's not my focus right now (totally fixed on Tri worlds) but I wonder if keeping a 90min run going would help for when I look at some longer stuff after worlds!?

Having said that - definitely don't want to risk anything before worlds so if you think it could have -ve impact on 5k/10k speed I'm happy to just to a long bike with good technique as you say.

I can just run a couple of steady 10k's over the weekend (one off the long bike for tri-specific).

J