Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - TheEd - 28-03-2012

instead of the 2k session do 3 x 5 minutes fast at 5k pace with 3 minute easy in-between

then all should be OK

does this answer sufficiently?

TheEd
ps.. nice 5k run Wink

Sub 35 - jamieh - 29-03-2012

Perfect, will do.

Thx TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 01-04-2012

34:37 10k this morning.

3:17
3:23
3:25
3:31
3:26 (17.04)
3:30
3:27
3:25
3:31
3:30

Weight: 77.5
Course: Flat, grass/towpath/pavement

Pretty happy with result! First time on the podium in a running race, too, which was cool Smile. In hind-sight I went out way too fast (17:04) given that I've not got the 3 month block of training I had behind me for the 34:19 in Feb. That meant I faded in the last couple of k's & didn't finish feeling strong. Still, it's a great starting point to build from after the rest period. Onwards!

Thx as always,
J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 02-04-2012

its a good start and also a signal of the value of planned breaks

is this not your 2nd fastest time?

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 02-04-2012

Yup, 2nd fastest 10k ever.

I was thinking about making Thursday's 3x5min session into a brick (bike/run) session - as I really haven't done much brick work this year. It's a 20k (roughly 30min) bike next week before the 5k run, so was considering taking the turbo-trainer down to the track and doing 3x (10min bike@20k race pace + 5min run@5k pace + 3min easy).

What do you think?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 02-04-2012

that should be fine but do consider super recovery mode of the legs thereafter

let me know how it goes

TheEd
ps.. now if we had said you would run a sub 35 minute when you came back from the off-period, would you have believed it then?

Sub 35 - jamieh - 02-04-2012

Haha I don't think I'd have believed it, no! Seriously, this programme is awesome.

Sub 35 - jamieh - 10-04-2012

2nd in the Tri yesterday, against a strong field Smile

First podium in that race series & beat my last 5k run split by over 1 minute (17:15 with a massive sprint finish on a pretty slow course with 21k's of hard riding in my legs!). Very happy with the result and is a great start to the Tri season.

On the down-side I lost at least 30 seconds on the bike compared to my last race here. This is not surprising given my focus on running... but emphasises that I need to work out a bike programme with a complementary rhythm to this run programe ASAP. Next big Tri race is 24th June so I have time, but need to act now (comments welcome!).

6x1k-R60's this morning were challenging with yesterday in my legs... but I struggled through it on the track:

3:17
3:12
3:18
3:13

Weight: 77.9

Onwards and forwards!

Sub 35 - TheEd - 11-04-2012

congrats on that .. one thing .. you could have moved the 1k session to Thursday if your legs were tired after the TRI .. remember for the future, you now need to focus on leg recovery more than normal

OK .. we have come this far and you have a result in the 10k run and now the tri .. I am asking you to not go cycle mad but to understand that cycling is all about technique

so to hone the technique, you need to be sitting exactly right in the saddle and then to further hone the technique via spinning and hours in the saddle before looking at 'crunch' sessions

to keep the balance by not creating reverse effects from cross training

How often are you currently cycling? Are you doing 1hr runs currently? Their purpose is aerobic, so we would like to use some of those runs to achieve spinning in the saddle and honing the technique. The minimum time in the saddle to achieve this is 2hrs (to compensate for not running the 1hr) and without working the quadriceps

how is the time factor for you?

over to you for now

TheEd
ps.. when do you get to swim?

Sub 35 - jamieh - 11-04-2012

Cycling - currently:
----------------
- 3-4 hours on a Saturday morning. Either flat with a hard pace or v.hilly & working hard on the hills but slower pace on the flat. (although I have been skipping this session when racing 10k's, or doing my 5k paced session on the weekend up until now)
- 'Interval' session of about 1hr on Wednesdays (either 3x10mins, 3x15mins, 6x5mins etc) on a gym-bike or turbo-trainer.
- Spinning to/from work (20mins each way) 4x per week.
----------------

Yes I have been doing the 1hr runs successfully since we discussed it about 2/3 weeks ago. I do them in the morning before work.

There is a quality bike session I did last year to benchmark my cycling with great results, it's 2x1-lap of a local closed 11km circuit (Richmond Park), max effort (about 15-17mins) with 5mins rest between. If possible I would like to work this into the programme.

Swimming - currently:
----------------
- Tuesday night - 2hrs aerobic threshold (intervals)
- Thurs night - 1.5hrs aerobic/recovery (intervals)
- Sunday morning - 2hrs aerobic threshold (intervals)

Currently I'm doing ok on time - should be able to squeeze a bit more in. I must say I have a feeling that what I'm missing on the bike is high-intensity sessions. Basically I think I need to be spending more time in the hurt-locker! I have a lot of miles in my legs from the past 3 years & am aerobically in solid shape. Need to toughen up...

I will book myself in for a bike fitting asap, to be sure on position.