Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 29-01-2020

Hi Jamie, what was your pulse range during the session?

as a matter of interest, did the physio say change of surface or shoes could have triggered the PF?

onwards TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 29-01-2020

I only had wrist heart rate so not 100% sure but roughly 165 max on the reps and getting down to 118-122 during the 40-45s rest. It was very cold and windy!

Re: PF yes this was likely triggered by a combination of shoe and surface changes. I moved to firm shoes (Hoka Clifton for training, Nike Vaporfly for racing). I did this to avoid aggravating the hallux rigidus by limiting flexion at the big toe joint and it has been very successful (I have absolutely no Hallux inflammation now, which was completely debilitating end of last year). The Vaporfly's are still not ideal as they have a high heel to toe drop which also aggravates the PF. I'm trying to get my hands on Hoka's carbon race shoes which have the rigidity but with zero drop, but so far they are impossible to buy in my size!

At the same time I moved to the firm shoes I started doing a lot off road which was further aggravating things (particularly because I have weak peroneus tendons, coupled with pronounced supination). So for now I am doing all my running on the road, at least for a few more months until I'm completely out of the woods.

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 07-02-2020

Hi Jamie, try to observe your arm carriage during your runs over the weekend and particularly what you do with your hands. Incredibly, such small details can affect your legs and foot placement

hope training going well

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 10-02-2020

Cheers Ed. Yes - good call. My arm carriage is not good, unfortunately. I'm very unbalanced. It's definitely something I should think more about. Partly due to a weird left arm (broke it badly as a toddler). Any words of wisdom on what a good carriage should feel like?!

Training all good. I was skiing (XC) last week so lots of good aerobic and managed to get 70k of running done including 5x2k (7mins, steady, treadmill at altitude). And a 20k run on Sat with 2x5k at sub 2:35 marathon pace (3:40/km).

50km/h+ winds for the next 2 weeks so training will be interesting Smile

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 10-02-2020

HI JamieH, are maybe able to get a vid of your running on the treadmill, running 'normally' .. from the side and from the front and rear

once vid created we can discuss how I can get to look at it

take care in this weather and don't waste your time running into the wind, if doing quality, I have arranged for MrsDuck to run 2k in one direction and I pick up in car and drive back to start

Smile

far better session with less chance of problems when running in the wind

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 17-02-2020

Will get a video asap.

Haha - LOVE the idea of a car to take my back to the start of 2k's down wind - time to get my wife to learn to drive!

30k yesterday with the last 5k pushing up towards marathon pace. All felt surprisingly good considering 40+ wind and biblical rain showers for almost the entire run. Legs all good today. Mile reps tomorrow. Wind still high but will have dropped a bit.

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 17-02-2020

Hi Jamie, how are you recovering after a 30k these days? Do monitor yourself well, as your body will have put out far more physically during the run because of the weather conditions. I have been meaning to write an article on the P M E .. the Physical Mental and Emotional balance .. these are all elements that I have looked to balance in achieving performance in coaching. In yesterday's run, all 3 elements will have been challenged, so be very aware that you on a high now and then going into the mile session, you must be most aware after the session, not to hit a bump in the road.

Enjoy TheEd
ps.. it is funny how often your feedback, triggers and reminds me of all the titbits I still want to share and talk about

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 19-02-2020

Glad I can help with the tibits Smile

Recovery after the longer runs is definitely improving. I was monitoring myself carefully on Mon/Tues and felt good so went ahead with the mile reps

5x1Mile off 70-80s rest (90s for the front guys).

5:15
5:11
5:10
5:20
5:10

Was very windy so happy with the session, HR was getting up into the 170s. Purposefully slowed on the 4th rep to ensure I didn't pop! Will take it easy rest of the week (particularly so as heading to a spa for my birthday tomorrow Wink).

Legs still good in 10k recovery run this morning.

2 weeks until Half Marathon.

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 20-02-2020

nice going Jamie .. some really solid training being put in, be sure to recover well and hopefully the spa does it's trick

onwards TheEd
ps.. being from the southern hemisphere (originally), we love our titbits but will take it on board Wink

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 17-03-2020

Hi Jamie, I would like to make the recommendation to all, to cutback on intense training during the COVID-19 outbreak. (I shall copy & paste this to all) .. Take your previous 6 x 1km session highest heart rate reading and during this period of training keep the pulse at least 5 to 10 seconds below that high heart rate reading. We can introduce different training sessions so we can all maintain our training cycles, however we should not over test our bodies so that it weakens our immune system. Please ask more questions if necessary.