Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 26-04-2021

Hey Ed - hope you and the family are well.

Just checking in. I've been back to training for a couple of months now (although without very specific sessions) and starting to feel good. Continuing the strength work (kettle bells + balance work every day) and feeling a lot stronger than previously. No niggles.

Raced a half marathon yesterday in 74:18 (40s PB!). Have a 10k in the calendar for next Sunday if the legs are up too it.. but other than that nothing else scheduled until London marathon in October.

Starting to wonder if I might have a sub-2:30 in me...

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 26-04-2021

Nice going Jamie .. I would look to aim at a sub 2:35 marathon first Smile

use the last week before 10k race from schedule and it should be less is better before event

enjoy TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 26-04-2021

Haha - yes of course. And honestly sub-2:35 London is what I had in mind... but at some point hope I can shoot for the 2:29!

Sounds good re: last week of plan - will do.

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 30-11-2021

Hi Ed, been a while - hope all is well and you're keeping well (and warm!).

Interesting turn of events... I have a 'labral tear caused by cam type hip impingement' in the left hip - just wondering if you'd had any experience with this and runners?

Quick back story: I'd been having some great training towards a sub-2:35 London Marathon and then started to get groin pain about 2 months before race day. I reduced the training and 'managed it' pretty successfully (in my 21k session 2 weeks before race day I was feeling brilliant bopping along at 3:40/km ~140bpm). Unfortunately, I had a bad day at London and ended up dropping out at 32k (I had bug, HR was just way too high for the effort, probably would have come in around 2:40-42). Planned to do another Marathon a few weeks later but after a few days post-race rest, the hip really tightened up to the point I couldn't run at all. Saw various consultants/physio's etc. and an MRI Arthrogram confirmed the (small) labral tear last week.

So now I'm faced with the surgery or no surgery question (hip arthroscopy to repair the labral tear and re-shape the femoral head so it doesn't get re-torn). It's an 8 week wait for surgery so I've booked it and plan to do some extremely diligent Physio/PT over the 8 weeks (with a physio familiar with my issue). If I start feeling improvement I'll cancel the surgery... but I'm not hopeful given I've spent the last 7 weeks not running at all (or biking - that hurts too unfort) and there has been almost no improvement. If I do have the surgery it's a 12 week recovery/rehab process so a big time investment (although I'm ok with that - good to rest the heart a bit and re-set the muscles for my 'autumn' racing years Wink).

Jamie

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 01-12-2021

Hi Jamie, sorry to hear of your problems. You ask of my experience with said injury

I cannot say a specific knowledge of the labral tear of the hip

however, I can tell you that since covid and with athletes staying at home and spending far more time sitting, that I have had a number of problems with hips and stiffness associated to sitting

so if this helps you diagnose further then great

on we go TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 06-12-2021

Thx Ed - will keep you posted.

RE: Sub 35 - TheEd - 04-07-2022

Hi Jamie, how did things work out

TheEd

RE: Sub 35 - jamieh - 22-08-2022

TBC!! I had the surgery in March and am now entering month 5 of rehab. It’s been a very long road. Back to running for about 6-8 weeks now (starting at 30s jog, 4 min walk). I’m now running every other day and it’s ‘up and down’ but on average improving. Mainly just jogging or steady progressions. 20-30k per week. I’d say I’m back to where I was pre-surgery (after a few months off running) so the question is now will my recovery plateau or will I continue to improve.

My physios have been ‘amazed’ at the recovery time to running (i.e I’ve been able to run a 19 min 5k) and Cycling/swimming is perfect so certainly I feel quite positive. I’m about to start weekly PT (personal trainer) sessions at the gym for the first time ever.

Will keep you posted. I suspect marathoning is not in my future… but let’s see. Perhaps Olympic distance tri and 10k running could be back on the menu.

Thx for checking in. Hope you and the family are well? We just got back from a wonderful month in Sweden.