Running Information Forums
A new goal - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: A new goal (/Thread-A-new-goal)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

A new goal - Chris.C - 04-05-2012

Reading this is helping me with mine, thank you!

A new goal - IamWill - 04-05-2012

Thx Chris, good luck with your 10k!

A new goal - IamWill - 08-05-2012

Well... I ran a sub 37:great:. Don't know exact time yet, but I think it's about 36:45.
Will look at and post Garmin data tomorrow, but I know I went out way too fast (first k in 3:20) and I had a very hard time in k4 to k8.

Thank you:notworthy:
...and now let's plan the next steps of my attack on the WR:mrburns:

A new goal - Albert83BCN - 08-05-2012

That's an amazing progression! Congratulations! Wink

A new goal - IamWill - 09-05-2012

Thanks Albert!

My official time is 36:41. My split-times with average HR & max HR from my Garmin:

km1 3:21 167 178
km2 3:24 177 180
km3 3:31 180 183
km4 3:30 181 182
km5 3:48 180 183
km6 3:48 178 180
km7 3:41 179 181
km8 3:55 179 181
km9 3:59 179 181
km10 3:39 179 183

Very happy with PR of course, but the splits show poor racing tactics... but it was fun to run the first k with the fastest guys. After that ridiculous first k I settled in the the second group after the lead group, but had to let them go as well in the fourth k, I was really hurting at that moment. In the 6th k three runners caught up with me and I managed to run with them up to somewhere in k8.

And TheEd, you were right: 3:40 pace was to fast, as my average pace was 3:40.1, so I guess I don't qualify as an the scarce commodity:jester:

I still feel there's room for improvement, my next goal is going to be 36 low.

All the best,

Will

A new goal - TheEd - 10-05-2012

congrats Ian and definite room for improvement through better race tactics Wink

you may still be a grand commodity, so lets not dispel that yet Wink

for the next event we will get the race plan right Smile

so what's next, how has your recovery from the event been

Cheers

TheEd

A new goal - IamWill - 10-05-2012

Thanks, TheEd!

Recovery is going fine, I felt *very* tired yesterday, I didn't run yesterday, but I walked about 2k and I played squash, I took it easy though. My calves feel fine, some DOMS in the upperlegs, but nothing serious.

Today I'll go for a very easy 30 min run. A new 5*2k is planned beginning of next week. I feel I should up the pace a bit, although I'm not quite sure how fast I can do them: I really do notice a large gap between what i'm able to do during a training and during a race. Probably due to both the phase of the training program and state of mind.

I'd like to run 36-low on June 6. I have two 10k races before that (May 20 and 23), but I'll run an easy pace with friends on those (that seems the smart thing to do).

Apart from working through more training cycles, i feel that I should focus on the following aspects to improve:
*Core stability, probably through some ab work and different kinds of leg lifts.
*Breathing cadence: during part of the race I couldn't find a breathing cadence that felt right.
*and yes, definitely race tactics...:whistle:

What are your thoughts on the next training cycle?:mrburns:

Will

A new goal - TheEd - 10-05-2012

a quick shoot out .. of course your breathing would be up the spout if you went out in 3.20 the first km Wink .. talk about over cooking oneself

for the 5 x 2k session .. you could increase the pace by 5 seconds per k

however often it is good to go through the routine with only minimal changes so as to get to the next level without any breaking down

core stability great .. however in moderation .. be careful of doing leg strengthening too close to the quality sessions, so in week 1 of the cycle it could be wise to avoid any added stress between Day 3 to 8 thereafter it can be a different story

over to you

TheEd

A new goal - IamWill - 07-06-2012

Hi TheEd,

I had an easy month, did one race yesterday. I finished in 37:11, it was quite warm and I again went out too fast (first 4k in 3:3*, then 3k in 3:4* and the last 3k in 3:5*). I feel I'm basically on the same level as a couple of weeks ago, because I didn't do the 5*2's. :mrburns:

My next race is on 22nd of june. so two weeks. Planning to do the first and the last week of the program. I'll be happy with a low 37 when it's hot, but I should be able to run a 36 high when it's not too warm. Most importantly: I want to run smart this time, i.e. negative splits.

After that, I'll have one more race on the 7th of July. The race will have only about 150 runners and is not very serious, which means that I might actually have a chance to end up in the top 3. I'd like that... especially because it's in the town where I grew up.

Of course, first I'll have to put in some more quality miles!

Will

A new goal - TheEd - 08-06-2012

nice Ian .. looks as though you gaining valuable racing experience

you didn't consider coming back using the Build Up program?

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/buildup.htm

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. we race the 10k in 2 weeks of course