Running Information Forums
Wanted to say thanks - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Wanted to say thanks (/Thread-Wanted-to-say-thanks--1984)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Wanted to say thanks - kk_law - 19-11-2012

Post-race report: 1:48:49, AvHr 151. The cold turned into quite a bad case this past week and is still lingering. Any notion I had of running the 21K as a race were dashed after 2 nights of fevers and a week of chest coughs. I did the run anyways today, really took it easy and used it as an opportunity to hang out with a good friend of mine who happens to be quite an ultra marathoner.

I actually had a really good time, no time pressure or specific goal in mind other than finishing. We talked the whole time and caught up on life. My legs were pretty empty and crampy pretty early on but I made it through without incident. It was nice to experience a race from a different viewpoint, a very relaxed affair.

Anyway, I'm going to take the week off to recover from this cold properly, probably won't put on the running shoes until next week Smile My next serious race is early February, half-marathon on a fast flat course. If you have any suggestions on how I should structure my time from here until February it would be greatly appreciated. My thoughts right now are: rest this week and do few weeks of off-period, 3 weeks of build up through December and start back into the program in early January. I think the race would land at the end of the 2nd cycle if I start back into the program in January.

Thoughts? Do you think 6 weeks is enough to get back into decent racing form with a solid build up?

Cheers,
KK

PS: maybe I should start a new thread for 2013?

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 19-11-2012

tad sad to hear the cold kicked in .. best to go through your training to see when the main signals came as to when the cold first scratched in

runners often find it difficult to let it go a little to recover, they worry so much about what they will lose

during the first warning, less is always better

good for a new thread .. and you plans of the off period etc look sound

consider having a small period to have some fast running and then return to build-up training etc as 3 months can be a long long time Wink

let me know your thoughts

TheEd

Wanted to say thanks - kk_law - 19-11-2012

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't think there was much I could do to avoid it, the whole family got taken down with it for the whole week. I didn't run much at the first sign of sniffles and skipped most of the running last week in hopes of faster recovery but to no avail. Such is life I guess; I'm looking forward to when the kids get to the age where they're less germy Smile

Good advice on keeping faster running in the mix, there are some early season 8K and 5K races that I was looking at as a tune up for the year, I might try to fit one of those into January. I will plan on getting back on the cycles earlier, probably aim to fit 3 into the schedule before the February race. I also liked doing the longer tempo run in prep for 21k.

The big goal for 2013 is a full marathon. It will be 11 weeks after the half in February, May 5. In reading through the forums it looks like you have a 6 week program for someone who has trained on the 10K programs? Will definitely look to you for advice on getting ready for that run Smile

I will start a new thread as soon as I am ready to refocus. Thanks again for all your help this year, it really has changed my perspective on running and made it a lot more enjoyable and rewarding than it's ever been.

Cheers,
KK

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 20-11-2012

nice to read KK and thank you

if you go through the Build Up and focus on building your long run then we can very definitely look at switching to marathon training 6 weeks before the event

the main ingredient to introduce is the long run and to be sure this is about doing a 30k in training without any stress

enjoy the switch off period and I look forward to your new thread

TheEd