Running Information Forums
Wanted to say thanks - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Wanted to say thanks (/Thread-Wanted-to-say-thanks--1984)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 10-06-2012

coming along nicely ..

instead of the 10 x 400m session

look to do 3 x 5 minutes fast @ 10k pace with 3 minutes easy in-between

please ask further questions for clarity

TheEd

Wanted to say thanks - kk_law - 13-06-2012

Ok, just did the 3x5 minutes on with 3 minutes easy, I was running 4:00 on the nose for a total of 1250M per split and feel pretty good, avg heart rate for each split was 155, maxing out at 159.

I feel a bit of a cold coming on, I've upped my vitamin C intake and Cold Effects, will try to go to bed early tonight. What's the plan from here on in?

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 13-06-2012

take a rest day and then pick up from Thursday ..

you do have the event this weekend, right?

Cheers

TheEd

Thanks. The half is next Sunday (June 24) so I have an extra week. I feel ok today, if you think I should run today I could.

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 13-06-2012

no need to train today

pick up from Thursday

Cheers

TheEd

Ok, will do. Should I do an easy 45 tomorrow or do the 30 easy with the last 10 fast?

Wanted to say thanks - kk_law - 15-06-2012

Did an easy 50 minutes today at 5:30 pace, felt better afterwards. Thoughts about what the next week should entail through to next Sunday?

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 15-06-2012

you may do a 5k paced at next week's anticipated race pace and then accelerate the last 1km

then Sunday an easy 1hr recovery

and then repeat the week you have just had with the

3 x 5 minutes fast @ 10k pace with 3 minutes easy in-between on Tuesday

so week 3 for this week till the event

please ask questions for clarity

TheEd

Wanted to say thanks - kk_law - 26-06-2012

Hi TheEd,

Just wanted to pop in and give an update on the half-marathon this past Sunday.

It didn't go nearly as well as expected (1:44:27), I was aiming for 1:35. I was on 4:30 pace for the first 6KM and feeling good but started cramping pretty badly in my legs and had to drop off for the rest of the race. My heart rate was fine for the whole run, I averaged 153 so I don't think it was a cardio issue. I just couldn't push the pace without my legs cramping. Is it possible that I may have over-hydrated leading up to the race? I drank a lot of water Friday and Saturday. I eat healthy meals, loaded up on good carbs, dark green veg, low fats etc. Race day I had a good breakfast and a lot of water again, a power gel 15 minutes before the start and one at 10K but by that time I had been struggling with the cramps.

My legs weren't feeling super fresh going into the race and I was expecting to have to work to get under that time but I didn't expect the cramping/fatigue to be an issue so early on in the run. Post race I've had suggestions of e-load drink and pills, maybe I'll try that during my next long run to see if it makes a difference. I do tend to sweat a copious amount with a lot of salt in my clothes after any kind of a run (my skin is usually covered in a layer of salt after a long run).

At any rate, I'm not discouraged as this was the first time I've ever raced a half and it was a good learning experience (and it was a beautiful day!). I feel like cardio wise I could have held 4:30 comfortably throughout the distance. In the meantime, I'm going to re-focus on 10k racing and getting my time under 40 minutes consistently before I retry a half again as I feel that having a solid 10K time will be a good foundation for all the other distances I'd like to tackle over the next year.

Right now, I feel I need to take a break and recover a bit, I was feeling a bit run down the past week fighting a cold and sore legs and I think a few days off and easing back into the cycles would do me good. Is that smart or should I suck it up and keep moving forward? The next 10K race I'm looking at is Aug 19 on a flat fast course. Do you think there is enough time to recover and get back into the cycles to make an honest attempt at sub 40 for that race or should I be more patient and focus on a longer term goal?

Sorry for the long post, I've had a lot to think about after this race Smile

Cheers,
KK

Wanted to say thanks - TheEd - 26-06-2012

HI KK .. if anything I think you may have had a little bug that may have affected you or maybe you became too worked up before the event

you can put it all down to experience and move on .. at least you got sub 1:45 Smile

you can use the 10k training programs to race effectively over 21km, if you change the long run to a minimum of a 2hr run or 18k minimum

consider using the off-period for 1 week

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/offtime.htm

and then the build up for 2 weeks

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/buildup.htm

then you return with a 4k time-trial and we build the sessions around the result of the 4k time

how does this sound to you?

TheEd