Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 28-09-2009

Hi D

what you can add to that 10k run is a 5 x 8 minutes slightly quicker with 2 minutes easy in-between

a Fartlek session so to say

the effort for the 8 minutes should be slightly quicker than normal, so that you don't blow a gasket

and don't plan too far ahead with your training for now or else you create the pressure of having to do, creating negative sentiments

enjoy the unfocused approach for now and in a week or two you should have some form of foundation to look forward

this way if something unexpected comes up it is easy to adapt to

you are making progress now, so enjoy the running

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 28-09-2009

Hi TheEd,

Thanks for the advice, wise words and much appreciated.

Didn't run today or this eve with club - low energy and enthusiasm from w/ends DIY I think. I'm pleased I didnt force myself to go as I think this is where I have gone wrong in the past and leads to overtraining...am learning!

Also not going to make the 10k test run tomorrow due to other commitments. However going to do the 5.5 mile Woods Run at lunch - shall I try the Fartlek session you recommended from y/day?

Cheers again,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 28-09-2009

yes .. however if you feel flat rather consider walk / running without any pressure .. selecting trees to push a little harder and to walk when it suits you

all this helps as it is still weight bearing exercise and once u step up the pace u have something to work on

haphazard running can also be fun

here's something else to try during this time of difficulty

run with a small camera and stop to take a photo or two

this way it takes your mind off the running and is less stressful

I am all for hard training but I am more anti killing the enthusiasm and joy of running

:tourist:

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 30-09-2009

Hi TheEd,

Didn't make the Woods y/day - was feeling quite burnt out, went to gym instead and did some light bag work, some chins and some rowing. Got a lot on at work at mo, high pressure stuff. Should all pass after next week thankfully. Am really pleased that I more attuned to my state of mind and responding to it accordingly.

Felt slightly better today after early night - have been cycling into work every day so far this week, think its having an impact on recovery. Went out at lunch on own for a 4 miler, mostly tarmac, kept it controlled, Hrate was above easy pace - however had the best sweat for a long whilev! Felt v.good for it.

After work today came home and checked surf conditions - amazing! 4ft swell, had to get in - managed an hour til dark, catching almost every wave, long rides down 4ft wave faces - fabulous!

Cycling to work tomorrow - will see how feel in morn - might try the Woods run. Left knee issue has been showing its ugly head again earlier today - thought the 4 mile might prove it further, however it seemed to disappear.

Will take it easy tomorrow and see how goes, will keep you updated,

cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 01-10-2009

good to hear you maintaining the balance

bit by bit hopefully it becomes easier and you soon up to speed, so to say, with your running

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 01-10-2009

Hi TheEd,

Route: Woods Loop, 5.5 mile
HRate: 130bpm
Effort: Hard first mile as tired, middle miles felt easy, picking up some serious pace through wood without Hrate elevating, last mile heavy and hard.

Was only planning 3.5 miles but felt good to cont. Rest tomorrow from run - might do a light stretch in gym and some core exercises - what do you recommend for Sat? I really feel I need to get a long easy run in 60 mins or so. Reckon this might be a real break through moment - what do think?

Cheers for all your help over the last few weeks,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 02-10-2009

breakthrough or break you

could be the same

start out with an intention of 50 minutes and then add an extra 10 minute loop only if you feeling good

beware, often one feels good till adding the extra

Big Grin

enjoy

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 02-10-2009

TheEd,

Apologies for y/days post and thanks for the leveller. Will follow your advice tomorrow if I get out.

Catch up soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 05-10-2009

Hey TheEd,

Didnt get out on Sat - can't remember why! Had to go to work and ended up going to gym for stretch and a core w/out. Didn't have time for a long run.

Sun: Surf was up all day. No run, 2 hours surfing during afternoon - it was heaving!

Today - Mon: 13.3km
Time: 70 mins
Route: Wanted to surf as it was coming in again, but no car so ran to beach 4 miles away to check out and then run back - so did above in two halves with 15 mins in between.

Felt strong and held a modest pace keeping Hrate well under control, had no problems getting again after 15 min stop. Feel like made serious improvements in stamina and discipline.

Cycling to work tomorrow, only 3.5 miles each way. Should I run tomorrow? Short and sweet, easy pace or hit gym for stretch?

Hope you training is going well,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 06-10-2009

nice to hear D .. and boy was the wind a belter this weekend

good to hear the runs are becoming easier

keep them easy all the time and if you feeling healthy towards the end of the run then you can increase the pace by 10 to 15% for the last 15 minutes

this pace I always used to describe as marathon pace .. the last 15 mins at marathon race pace

easy runs as a thumb during the week should be no quicker than 1 minute per k slower than 10k race pace

this is quite an accurate guide and it should be in line with what you able to run 10k at present

Hope this helps to keep you more relaxed with your running

TheEd