Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 21-11-2009

Hey TheEd,

Had my head down last few days - did a light 45 min circuit-training gym session on Thurs. Completed a 30 min walk/run (80% running) y/day - were quite drained but needed to get some fresh air after heavy week work. Have sore hamstrings today, dont know why, might be from the couple of days cycling to work earlier in the week - planning a stretch later after some DIY - was thinking of trying a longer run tomorrow, what do you suggest? Easy 45 mins?

Hope your having a relaxing weekend,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 21-11-2009

good to hear there is movement within you Wink

if your saddle on your cycle is not set correctly for you, then cycling can have an adverse effect on your legs

rather not push the run up to 45 minutes but if you feel like doing more exercise then do a walk for 15 minutes before moving on to the 30 minutes

your body sounds as though it has taken quite a knock but at least you getting back in to things again

TheEd
ps.. a good weekend to you

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 23-11-2009

Hey TheEd,

Didn't get out y/day due to exceptional trouble sleeping on Sat night/Sun AM - worse for some time. Not whether I just dont need the sleep or I need a holiday!

Anyhow made some sort of impression on the DIY - still finishing the bathroom - the devil is in the detail!

Managed to get out this evening for 30 mins easy - were very clear headed but certainly not full of stamina. Planning cycle to work due to my car going for MoT. With some decent early this week hopefully I can start winding the training up a bit as I'm feeling I need to 'get back into lane' instead of all this skirting round the edges of getting back into stride - ho hum.

OK, so bike tomorrow - 40 mins easy on Wed? X-country?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 24-11-2009

Hi D .. get someone in the know to check that your saddle is at the right height and that you sitting correctly (posture) so you can avoid any future problems due to cycling

be steady and easy with the running

and as for choice .. I shall take the holiday

hopefully onwards and forwards

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 24-11-2009

Hi TheEd,

Bike saddle is fine by cycle shop guide given when bought bike back in July. Not sure whether you are familiar with the heel test? Not sure why hamstrings were tight, dont think its the bike, might just be down to lack of exercise and stretching.

As for the holiday, might have to wait till next April! How about you?

Managed a half hour easy run y/day, felt OK - running on low energy levels still, need a break from work me thinks. Got this Fri off, however the DIY is still calling. Its been the been the most pressured period I've ever experienced in my working life this last 6 weeks, at work and at home with the DIY.

Looking forward to the new year to break through. Had more trouble getting head down last night, prob 1am. Had a two day training course today and y/day - v.buzzed out. Going to try and have a relaxing evening, however I thinks this is the problem; I'm not unwinding properly. Its starting to make me wonder about how I'm living my life at the moment. Just gotta keep on keeping on!

Might cycle to work tomorrow as I enjoy it so much - might get out for a run at lunch, nice and slow and around the X-country route, need to get a real sweat on - I always find it relaxing, been missing getting out at lunchtimes this last few weeks. I think running in the evening is no-no for me - too much energy, to near bed.

Do you experience other runners with this problem of exercising in the evenings?

Cheers,

D

normally not being able to sleep at night is a sign of overtraining and this is certainly not your case

however you do sound as though you have 'stresses' which must be affecting you and then you still putting further pressure on yourself with the thoughts that you not in good shape and that something is wrong

you certainly could do with a holiday but that's not due till April

so u just have to battle through this 'malady', if we may call it that

one thing though, has the sickness left you and if you did have any swine flu near u it can take up to 6 weeks for the effects to leave one

keep believing and when do u have a surf planned?

a good sweat will be good if it doesn't become a negative, so be gentle on yourself, as you are obviously not on song currently

enjoyment being the keyword

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 24-11-2009

TheEd,

Thanks for your suggestions - have been thinking all this might still be the flu hanging around.

It feels more like that I've got into a rut of not being able to stretch myself physically, not enough to relax the mind which its used to. Its making me realise how dependant on exercise we can become - its like a drug, it is a drug!

You are right, my complaints do sound like overtraining - I think its more like overworking - I have been working very hard the last two years to get my career off the ground and over the last year I have put myself in a very tough but potentially very rewarding position to succeed and things are slowly starting to build up which is presenting me a enormous task of trying to manage all my energies - so I think my conflict lays in prioritising whats most important with regards to balancing my life.

I always thought that if I am in full swing of training my work will be in full swing which was working well up until mid-summer. However since the bathroom DIY in July the balance has tipped the other towards work and DIY at home with the running taking a back seat. However I think I've just ignore the fact that in practice something has to give. The mind is ignorant sometimes. Need to accept this, learn and move on.

Like you say got to stick at - to be honest I was looking at the new year to really get back up to speed, however I wanted to try and regain some form before Xmas - there's still time, just need to re-address this balance.

Thanks for all your support TheEd, its no-end of inspiration, onwards and upwards,

Cheers,

D

I truly believe you will be fine, never forget your humour

if you can laugh at your predicament then you will be fine

you are running now and 2 weeks ago you weren't so there is progress

enjoy tomorrow

glad I can be of some assistance

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 27-11-2009

Hey TheEd,

Hope you had a good week - my health has taken a turn for the worse again I'm afraid - sore throat, shivers and sweats and really getting to sleep :-(

Took day's leave off work today, got the weekend off as well to hopefully recover - what a nightmare! Nevermind, must deserve it from a past life, roll on the Xmas break from work!

Will keep you posted, hopefully this cold thing shouldn't be too serious and can move on relatively quickly - ho hum,

Bye for now,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 27-11-2009

well at least you not running that 10km Wink

you have been sounding really run down and stressed D, so this may be the best call to get a deserved break from everything

good luck

TheEd