Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 16-02-2010

minus 6 is less fun, that temp is still OK

I have not been out for a waddle for quite a while, conditions just not conducive

enjoy

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 16-02-2010

Hate to be nosey, where are you based again?

Shame about the weather, hope it improves again soon.

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-02-2010

South of Sweden near Ystad and plus 75 minutes from Copenhagen

Smile

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 22-02-2010

Hey TheEd,

Hows the weather your end?

Managed to get out last Wed and Thurs lunchtime - both 4 milers, Wed was steady OK, the Thurs run I was v.puffed out even at Easy pace, prob should've avoided going out two days on trot - work colleagues were badgering me, not a habit to get into, noted. Felt it might be alright but reckon the previous Mon's 8Km & DIY affected recovery.

Rested up on Fri and Sat. Managed 12Km on Sunday in cold and snowy conditions, was a tough one with some walk/running, managed to get round in 67 mins. This really stretched my body y/day for the first time in a long while, felt good, slept like a baby for once last night.

Rest today, bike to work tomorrow - maybe 30 mins easy run when get home.

Might aim for a 30-35 mins Easy on Thursday.

If conditions are good, have a 2hr MTB outing in local forest on Friday afternoon - depends on snow/ice situ. Will keep you posted,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 23-02-2010

seems like you putting some steady training together

and spring is on its way Wink

well we can only live in hope

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 28-02-2010

Hey TheEd,

How's the running conditions your way? Any improvements? We've had torrential rain and floods since late last week.

Been racking up a few sessions here, with some variation as well.

Tues: Bike to work (7 miles round trip)
Wed: 4 miler, then core session
Thurs: 2 hr surf, v.cold and tough conditions
Fri: Bike to work, PM: 16 miles/2 hrs round seriously trechourous MTB forest course
Sat: Rest (well nearly, some DIY)
Sun: 7.25 miles Easy - was difficult to get going after last weeks efforts. After some walk/run, steady away. Last mile was v.tough.

Tomorrow, have to bike to work as have no car. Should be light relief after todays long run, recovery session.

Tues plan bike to work again, 4 miler at lunch.

Wed: Rest or might hit gym for stretch and core session.

Thurs: Was thinking of a Pacey 4 miler? Its the same route, maybe in different direction as Tues. Its very undulating with a long downhill first and the half way all up hill back to base. Its hard to keep HRate in Easy range, might try and master this first before trying to Pace run it? What would recommend?

My back is still not 100%, it must be 95%. Its annoying as I want to start introducing some light circuit training or weight training. Thinking about booking an Oestopath to try and see this niggle off finally. Will see how it goes this week.

My Polar S625X HRate watch is up the creek, have to send back for service, so will be without this week - have you seen the new Polar FT80 GPS watch? Or does the Garmins equivalent have the edge? Would be interesting to hear about would you use TheEd,

Catch up again soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 01-03-2010

Hi D .. actually got out for a first waddle in 5 weeks yesterday, here's hoping spring is on its way

My not using a heart rate monitor of any sorts but can easily gauge pace, once I become a little fitter I shall be looking at a HR monitor

for distance monitoring I have heard the Garmin is pretty decent

one of the complaints I have heard about most of them is the battery

Polar has been out there for quite a while and has always had a good reputation but seems to have lulled for a few years

Suunto is definitely the most vibrant and innovative manufacturer currently

so when it comes to monitors there is a lot out there

this summer I shall be focusing a great deal more on monitor feedback

As for you running, you seem to be putting a few sessions behind you so be careful by not 'tanking' out by overextending yourself

be careful as you making progress

4 miles of hard running could be taxing however if you start off slowly and then finish stronger it will be better and in all honesty, if you feel jaded stop and take a break, the recovery wil benefit you .. stop watch and then start up again

try to enjoy it without it being too taxing that it affects further running

Enjoy

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 01-03-2010

TheEd,

Good to hear you got out - hope this helps blow the cobwebs out!

Thanks for the b/ground info on H/Rate monitors, I would be very lost without one if I couldnt use one full time. However not having is interesting as it makes you gauge your efforts in a more intuitive way, a Good thing now and again I would say.

Hear you on the not 'tanking out'. Planning to back off a bit after last weeks efforts. Also, have a slight hamstring strain, its minor but have had before and means I need to back off for a few days.

Have an osteopath appointment tomorrow, hoping to see this back issue off once and for all. Will keep you posted, good luck with getting out again, hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 02-03-2010

Hyperspace Wrote:slight hamstring strain

and then I immediately think of DiY and its affects

Big Grin

maybe consider after the DiY taking a few days easy before doing other forms of exercise ... what do you think ??

Good luck

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 04-03-2010

Hey TheEd,

Tues: Cycled to work AM Osteopath session PM. Went well, he ID'd exact problem, gave me one new stretch to do and a tennis ball trick for laying on and for attempting to iron out the niggle in my right piriformis (glutus medius). Two weeks till next check-up. Hope to see it off once and for all. Its not causing any other probs and he said I should keep exercising as long its doesn't cause any discomfort.

Wed:Rest

Thurs: 4.5m, 39 mins, Easy/med Woods run. Out with work collegues, took it easy, felt good at end. Short core session in gym.

Fri: Prob rest, might do a short run 3 or 4 miles.

Forgot to mention earlier in week I got roped into doing a 5 hour, Open Adventure Race this Sunday in Cumbria - North West England, mountainous region. Its a bike/run 'collect points' affair, will be tagging along with a seasoned pro and his 15 year old son who doesn't run too well, should be a reasonably lax affair. Thought it might be good to really kick start the stamina pool for this year with this and by taking it easy throughout the whole race.

Sat: Rest
Sun: Journeying at 6am for a 9am start. Will report back post-race, lets hope I make it back alive!

Hope the weather has been kinder to you folk over there,

Catchup soon,

D