Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 05-03-2010

kick start the stamina

Big Grin

more likely to put me out for a month

nice to see things are steady

tell the doc all runs are meant to be a discomfort, we old school, it shouldn't be any other way Wink

Big Grin

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 09-03-2010

Hey TheEd,

Hope you are well, have you manged to get out anymore over last few days?

5 hour race on Sunday was challenging but manageable. Glorious day, no more than 4-5C with wall to wall sunshine all day from start to finish. Back held up fine, absolutely no probs. Went ahead on own to checkpoints to get a work out, had tons of anaerbic power in legs for the hills.

Went round in a group, four ladies, four men. Ladies mixed ability. MTB lasted 3.5 hours, clocked up 18 miles, 2/3 was offroad and technical. Short transition and onto run which was 2/3 walking. 15 year old was struggling with running, got about 6 miles in.

Came about halfway down table of over 250 competitors. Excellent experience, need to improve map reading for going off next time on own or with a partner.

Slept like a baby Sun night. Recover y/day OK, clean up bike and 2 hours DIY.

Bike to work today, resisted short run at lunch until tomorrow, easy 4miler and core session in gym. Will take both easy and see how feel.

Just looked at calendar, noticed have less than 8 weeks to first scheduled 10km race (Sun 3rd May, 7 weeks this Sun). Planning to enter shortly.

How do you feel I should start proceeding? I've forgotten the old format, I remember the 19 cycle (will look back over notes I printed off, it seems like a long time ago, wasn't there a pre-19 day cycle to get ready for the race build up - Is there anything you think I should be using as a yard stick for starting to consider a more focussed training sched?

Hope to hear from you soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 09-03-2010

Hey TheEd,

I've just entered the 10k race spoke about earlier. Have also entered a 10k for April the 4th as a cobweb remover. This happens to actually be in three weeks time this Sunday! Cripes I didn't realise this when I entered. I will have treat this strictly as a warm-up. There's also a nice sounding 5K 2 & 1/2 weeks later on a Wed eve - might be a good opportunity for a time trial?

Also just remembered the week leading up to the big 10K on May 3rd I will be returning from a one-week surf holiday. I will have to balance this out suitably to ensure energy levels are met to compete in this on the day after getting back - will be a challenge in its self!

Catchup soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 10-03-2010

well a 4km time-trial is always a good starting point as it is easy to work from

then we can balance all the sessions accordingly from there

Cheers

TheEd
ps .. I have only been out on a waddle once in the last week

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 10-03-2010

Hey TheEd,

On the above - is it case of doing after a days rest, warm up and then go for it?

Are we talking about relatively flat route? (a route is just coming to mind).

What sort of effort? Tempo/Race/AT Speed? Or whatever can hold for the stretch...this is starting to sound painful, urm I might just wait till its a bit warmer, or when the wind is blowing in the right direction to help me along when I start hurting :-)

Only kidding - might aim for this next week, might have Hrate monitor and watch back from repair. Could also treat it as my first speed session of the Year! Hoo-ray, its been a long time coming, what a long road to recovery this has been and the hard work hasn't even started!

OK, so will wait for Polar watch to return and then go it - can psyche myself up with an emphasise on not over-doing it of course. Much learnt this last 6 months.

Btw, managed 4 miles, easy today. Was tough as have had to bike to work two days this week so far and after Sundays 5hr race. Might rest tomorrow and Friday.

OK TheEd, thanks for the 4Km tip - great idea, will keep you posted,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 11-03-2010

in your case it is best to do after a day's rest and with a small warm up

the 4k time-trial is a physical effort where you don't burst a gut trying to run the time but you set a physical marker ... and not a mental strength marker

when you feel tired you don't push through the pain barrier but run in the comfort zone to set a time to refer to

Cheers

TheED

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 11-03-2010

TheEd,

Hear you on the mental marker - so will go for it and stick to a pace that feels rightto obtain a useful reference to use for working on the weeks to come, ie pushing it, not to a physical marker, and not bustin' a gut...you would have thought it was simple to do this before right?!

Thanks TheEd, will bear in mind over next few days whilst carrying on with the slow/easy's.

Planned runs (planning helps me)

Fri: AM:Bike2work Lunch: 3 miles easy, upper body plyometrics in gym
Sat: 7 miles easy
Sun: Rest (maybe a 1hr surf)
Mon: Run Club, Easy/Medium 5 - 6miles
Tues: Rest
Wed: 2Km Warm Up, then 4km Time trial, 2Km easy warm down
Thurs: 4 miles easy
Fri: Bike to work

Will pay attention to recovery rates through this next period and adjust regime accordingly. Thanks for your support as always,

Regards,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 12-03-2010

Hi .. I see grammar / spelling madness set in

it was meant to read

the 4k time-trial is a physical effort where you don't burst a gut trying to run the time but you set a physical marker ... and not a mental strength marker

but I am sure you picked up the 'jist'

OK .. you do do a fair amount of exercise as a normal routine

surfing for example can affect fatigue as well

but Confusedurf: is great but do make a note that it will fatigue you

let's see how the test goes

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 12-03-2010

TheEd,

Think I understand - I need to map out this 4K test on google maps and use a suitable landmark for the 4k's finish.

Will aim for it whilst playing down mental drive and instead listen to body to find its limit - its not a race! Or life and death for that matter!

Reckon I will try this next Weds, will keep you posted,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 14-03-2010

Hey TheEd,

Managed to get long run in today. Was tough. Planned to do y/day but was too tired. Wanted to surf today, in the end did both...:mmm:

Got early night last night and got out 1st thing:

7.5 miles, 65mins, Avg 133bpm.

Was very broken up (walk/run), couldnt get into it at all, felt heavy. Struggled most of way to keep Hrate down, 10 beats above Easy pace. 1st half was into 18mph headwind, prob didn't help.

Straight after run, got into wetsuit and hit surf. It was heaving. The wind prevailed making conditions interesting - like getting blown out to sea :duh:!

Took 45mins to catch 1st wave, a corker! Felt strong all the way thorugh the session although a little sluggish manoeuvring. Caught 2 more corkers and then I got knocked into shore and couldn't paddle out, pladdling power zilched! Spent 1.5 hours in water so made it a bumper day burning cals.

Got home and felt on top of the world - cant believe how much the surf improves state of mind, its remarkable!

Might run tomorrow night with run club, although will check resting Hrate in more b4 deciding and maybe rest instead after todays efforts. Glad I went surfing - made up for the poor run and maybe will help the running later in the week and Wed 4k time trial,

Cheers,

D