Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 13-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Hamstring wasn't particular sore this morn, however v.sore from core session from y/day, in fact, like never before...

Decided to do 4mile easy, 0-1.5mile downhill was a breeze, flew down, with ease. At the turn and heading back up to mile 3 was awful - tried to keep Hrate down; v.difficult, had to walk a little to keep it under control.

Averaged 134 bpm in end, 34:11 all in all.

Left calf niggled, felt heavy on feet. Weather didnt help either, windy and wet. Felt pretty slow and unfit at end but not beaten, know I have to rest.

For the first time can remember I'm actually really looking forward to not doing any exercise tomorrow whatsoever! Feel like I've had a really good string of sessions over the last week, so feel I deserve the day off tomorrow!

Will tend to niggles and see how feel for the 2x2K's on Thurs? Or maybe allow for one extra day rest?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 14-04-2010

an extra day rest should be wonderful and then Friday we can look at the 2k variation with 1km in-between

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 15-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Rested today as planned. Just managed 7 hrs sleep, need more tonight. Were still very tired all day, not sharp at all. Y/day was tough, right hip was not in a good way. Left hamstring still there, not as proflific. Cant believe am still sore from Mondays core session - reckon that Sat night drinking session must be responsible.

Hoping the hip and hamstring will feel refreshed in morn. Mindful of planned 2k's - whats the format coach? Might do them in evening to give body a little extra rest...not sure it will make that much difference...?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 16-04-2010

rather do an easy run D .. fast running will place the whole body under stress

Cheers and enjoy the weekend

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 17-04-2010

TheEd,

Took your advice and did an easy, 4miler. It was the 2mile down, 2 mile up loop.

Set out OK but after a mile couldnt believe how burnt-out I felt. Held 131 bpm, had to walk/run on the 2 mile up to keep below 140bpm - have had a real sideways week at work which I am quite certain has had an impact, combined with last weekends night out, and the previous weeks training, all culminating into this state. Felt v.frustrated y/day.

Had relaxing, early night last night, slept well, feel refreshed this morning. Got some DIY to get on with this weekend, lots of decorating. Might go for bike ride to work gym this afternoon for a stretch and loosen to see how feel for long run tomorrow?

Btw hamstring feels better, calves a little tight. Definatley have a niggle in hip, reckon this might be from the back injury, from late last year...it wasn't a prob running y/day.

Hope the waddling is going well your end?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-04-2010

Hi D .. to be honest I expected this to occur as the minute you felt reasonably good you went and did a whole lot of overload

you have to discipline yourself to give your body a chance to absorb the exercise you put it through even if it is surfing, it is still exercise

if you can get to running 3 times a week then you will get some consistency which you can build on

one good thing is that you are acknowledging that you tend to hammer yourself and you start off a few days easily but then the minute you are making progress you slip back to hammering the body unnecessarily and the house of cards comes down again

you need a minimum of 3 weeks of easy exercise with a minimum of 3 running sessions a week to make progress

nothing that breaks you down, all building blocks

once you achieve this you should be able to avoid all these niggles

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. I am waddling OK, got to do 4 runs since last Sunday, so that is a big go forward

TheEd,

Points taken - I think all this boils down to my impatience and inability to control my efforts, losing myself too soon into each session thinking I can keep putting the sessions in, its also like I have a short circuit sense of recovery which leads me to keep thinking I can rack the sessions up.

What I find is that outside of training my life isn't challenging and as a result throw myself into the sessions I do. Managing one's energy is a hugley underated life skill isn't it!

All clear on the easy exercise for the coming weeks. My surf holiday is scheduled for next week, supposed to be flying out next Sat morn, however with the volcanic eruption impact, there is an increasing chance this trip might go to the wall - will have to see.

Must say I feel a lot lot better this morning - Might go for the bike ride this afternoon to see where my energy levels are at and establish extent of this burn-out - I need to understand closely how this overload affects performance, to learn how to see the rut coming to avoid it and to move forward. Hopefully I haven't gone to far down the road on this one and can turn it around quickly. The bike ride will involve a large hill to work, will see how I respond to it and recovery - should tell me where I am at. Can act accordingly...

Thanks for all the advice coach, will keep you posted,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-04-2010

D .. I know where you coming from and when it comes to giving advice I have a decent track record over the decades but in the same instance when it comes to myself I do all the opposite to what I advise

Big Grin

hang in there and be gentle to the body get through 3 weeks feeling fresh while exercising and you will see the massive benefits

TheEd
ps.. I have an analogy relating to training and hard effort but was saving it for a book one day Wink

Hey TheEd,

Didn't get out on bike this afternoon - got on with DIY. Been feeling jaded all day so prob best. Going to take it easy tomorrow, with some more light DIY decorating, maybe go for a long walk in afternoon and see how goes.

There's some surf coming in on Mon afternoon, its been a few weeks since was last in water so maybe it would be good to get in and enjoy - as long as I take it easy, it might help shift state of mind, often does!

Catch up soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 18-04-2010

Hey TheEd,

Got out on bike this morn for a 10 mile off road/road. Fresh air was energising, took clifftop route which was great. Took it pretty easy and took the sights in, was nice. On way home, popped into work gym and did some stretching and a little upper body weights, felt OK.

After this feel that I just need a short break break from the running.

I might go to run club tomorrow for an easy pace session - its always nice to run with lots of people now and again. Will see how we go,

Thanks for listening,

D