Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 07-05-2010

TheEd,

You're right 21Km is over-ambitious at moment - need some consistency first. Rested today, had a quick stretch in gym at lunch. No plans for exercise over weekend as have family do requiring 500 miles roundtrip travel. Taking it easy as its really sunk in this week after holiday how much I've realised how to improve my rest-time...it must be quality rest-time, as good as the training sessions...cant believe how much we get caught up winding ourselves up with training - onwards and upwards.

Looking forward to kicking off Monday with an easy run - what do you recommend to get the ball rolling? Might go to running club, usually its 5-6 miles fartlek at whatever pace comfortable - sound good?

Have a great weekend,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 08-05-2010

that fartlek session sounds pleasant

and may you have a grand weekend

in the old days we could bang our bodies and we could bounce along without any problems, now they want a little more respect

the cheek of it

Wink

enjoy

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 10-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

No club run this eve as feeling a little tired from w/end travels.

They planned a last minute country run which could have been too far for my energy levels so decided to get out on own straight after work for a more predictable effort:

Dist: 7Km
Time:36:27
HR Av: 130bpm
Pace Av: 5:13/k
Effort: Felt quite strong and clear headed, some momentum there, just had to guide myself along - even so felt tiredness from busy/short w/end. Calves tightened up at 4Km, must be hanging over from 10km 9 days ago. At 6.5 Km started to feel more relaxed so pushed on a little to finish. Finished off with good calf stretch, all OK.

Surf conditions looking good for tomorrow, so might jump in for a short session before work. Otherwise no running till Wednesday? Do you have any suggestions?

Catchup soon,

D

PS: Hows the waddling? :whistle:

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 10-05-2010

sensible D .. you seem to be more aware of your body's needs these days so hopefully a training pattern will become easier as you progress

do watch the calf muscles as that can easily be fatigue related and if they stay tight this can easily lead to other problems, ie.. shinsplints

Wednesday good for a run up to 40 minutes .. you don't want to go towards a quality session just yet ...

however if all goes well a 5km gallop on the downs on Thursday could be order, a little more pace around 4.30 per k type running

Hope this is all in order

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 10-05-2010

TheEd,

Take it that Wed's run 'up to 40 mins' is at Easy pace?

Planning to give the calves some attention between now and Wed ie massage and stretching - will keep a keen interest in their conditon and update,

Cheers for now,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 10-05-2010

yes at plus 5 minute tempo if able to slow it down, then the 5km following can be at a more welcome pace Wink

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 12-05-2010

TheEd,

Biked to work due to car in garage, felt OK even though tired, more on this in a min.

Run today: With colleague (50 min 10k'er)

Dist: 4.1miles
Avg HR: 130bpm
Av Spd: 5:15/km
Effort: Easy, energy level 'thin'
Calves: OK, no major tightness stretched well afterwards.

Had a rough time getting off to sleep last night/this morn - was prob 3am in end. Think it might be to do with the surf session y/day morn. It wasn't even a medium effort session. Just felt that I didnt get that exercise buzz afterwards - no endomorphine I reckon. Its been a few days since last hit! :whistle: Felt sketchy all day as well y/day, hence the slight hyperactivity before bed last night. Managed 5 hours in end.

Biked to work this morn OK, fresh air was great, much needed. Good day all in all, quite productive. Had a relaxing beer in pub before coming home this eve to do some reading. Going to do some more relaxing reading and get an early night.

About tomorrow - feel OK about doing the 5km, up for it. Have a slightly undulating off-road course with a 1.5Km warm up to start with as its 6.6Km in total. Is that OK?

What sort of pace am I looking at? 4:00/km or go by HR ie Tempo pace or something?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 12-05-2010

TheEd,

Decided that might surf tomorrow morn as it looks like the swell is definately drying up for the next 7 days or more, and possibly for some weeks (or even months) as the warmer weather systems start to move in for summer.

Will see how feel in morn and if do surf might postpone 5km till Friday lunch. If the surf session is short will re-assess energy levels and ask myself if doing the 5km at lunch will be the right time. If do run will aim for approaching 10km HRate pace,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 13-05-2010

currently you better off keeping the effort at a minimum and ticking over till you feel the energy levels returning

previously you would attempt to run too hard during the low period and then make matters worse

TheEd
ps.. we will both get there, but you are faster than me, let's hope for only currently Wink

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 13-05-2010

Hey TheEd,

Surf was great this morning, really pleased glad I got in, feeling the benefits of the all the training I have been doing esp the running thanks in part to your guidance.

Got in water at 6:30AM after scrapping frost off car windscreen!!! Managed to get 1.5hrs in water, caught some decent waves, felt strong in the water, althought got a little tired. Got out at 8am then went to work on a cloud:yes::yes:

Went to gym at lunch for a small warm up, stretch and shower. Tired now but planning another early night tonight to to try and feel recovered for the 5km tomorrow if energy levels are suffice.

If go ahead tomorrow will do 1km warm up and aim for Tempo HR pace as the route is off-road and undulating rather than a strict m/km pace? Let me know any suggestions...

Thanks again for all the support,

D