Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 03-06-2010

well you can have an intro to a light 2k session

3 x 2km with 90 second Rest pace = 4.15 per k .. 8.30

this should be fun, yes?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 03-06-2010

:yes::yes: Wink

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 04-06-2010

TheEd,

Interesting session earlier today:

Weather: 20c, brisk SE breezeSad
Route: Grassy/track, gradual incline for 1km, turn back to start
1km warm up
1st 2km: Held 4:15/k Ok, felt good, head wind on 2nd ok
2nd: Watch lost sync with watch, reverted to 8.5 mins run, holding 4:20-30
3rd: held 4:30

Last interval felt poor, not sure of hrate, watch failed me, kept technique though. Quite disappointed with energy levels however had a poor nights sleep last night so on balance works out right. Calves were v.tight afterwards, work colleague wanted to jog on, ended up being 4km's...tough jog-was planning cycle tomorrow however prob's with bike, might rest instead-any ideas for Sun, long, easy 10 miler?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 05-06-2010

it has been a while since you have done a 'set' session so it will come with its peculiarities, next time it should all work out

relaxed 10 miler Sunday

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 05-06-2010

Hey TheEd,

Is relaxed the same as waddling? Had to ask, have an intuition its a bit more focussed and a bit faster?

Didn't get out on bike today for technical reasons, was prob for better as feeling depleted on energy levels.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Am going to take the Trail/Track/Wood Loop with some tarmac thrown in to make it 10 miles. Should set me up well for next weeks race.

Btw here's a forward looking plan for next week, its entirely flexible and open to changes in terms of sessions that I have preliminary put down:

SUN: 10 miler, relaxed

MON: PM: 1hour structured swim@club (2Km) 1st session so will be taking it easy.

TUES: Lunch: Run??? Tempo or Intervals?

WED: AM: Bike to work Lunch - Core, some upper body stuff

THURS: PM: Handicap Race 2 with run club - 3 miles X/Country - Good for Sunday's race? What sort of pace?

FRI: AM: Bike to work. Lunch: Waddle? Stretching.

SAT: Rest, social outing all day, might be tiring - no alcohol.

SUN: AM: 9am Cycle to race (weather and energy levels permitting) 30 miles. Race: 11:15 am - 10.45Km Trail Race. If cycle will give me a great insight into the Triathlon expectations,

Look forward to hearing any feedback,

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 06-06-2010

TheEd,

Not sure done the right thing today but certainly threw down a challenge this morning after a disturbed nights sleep (5hrs), stuffy and hot after a few beers last night. Drank plenty of water before and during night to compensate.

Must have needed the punishment, its either the subconcious driving proceedings or blind faith...

06:00: Got up.
07:30: Bike to work: 5.4Km

With Triathlon still in mind, decided to bike the planned 'relaxed' '10 mile' loop as a warm up to verify the distance due to watch/foot pod issues. Felt right and necessary for missing y/days bike outing.

Biked Loop = 11.8miles, completed in 56:50 (120bpm avg HR)

08:30 - 'Relaxed' running, 11.8miles

Transition was comfortable, found feet after 1.5Km. Followed exactly same route as bike. Felt OK uphills, although walked a bit to keep HR down remembering to make it as relaxing as poss.

There's prob less than 8Km tarmac on this loop, with hills. Parts of the trail/wood section are insanely steep, battled through keeping HRate under control:

HR Avg: 135bpm
Time: 1:41:28

Even after the last insane hill in the wood which I walked up, due to steepness, I could still feel some speed in the legs for the last 3Km, even so took it easy.

Interested to see how recover tomorrow, calves were nagging a bit, seemed to come and go, OK now. Plenty of stretching tom AM. Might have to cut the swim session down in eve if energy levels are depleted, will wait and see.

Look forward to hearing any feedback/suggestions on sessions for rest of week with next weeks race in mind. I've still not decided 100% whether to Roadbike to the venue (30 miles), will prob depend on weather. A PB for the course isn't that important, I'd rather use it as a training day and weigh time up against effort with cycle included.

Thanks for listening (or reading for that matter!) this long post,

Cheers,

D :yes:

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 06-06-2010

wanted to say before reading latest post, that I do NOT recommend a quality run on Tuesday however the Thursday 'handicap' is a do and this would be better than another 'tonk' quality session, not as stressful

please let me know how you feel tomorrow

and Tuesdy sould be a 'waddle' status and your easy & 'relaxed ' is becoming understood

magic stuff .. keep it good

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 07-06-2010

TheEd,

Slept well, 7.5hrs, had a few Ciders in evening to celebrate effort! :whistle:

Not very sore at all, not even stiff - just a feeling of energy depletion. Very clear headed and generally feeling serene!

Had quick jump-around and stretch at lunch, a little tired this afternoon. Feeling OK now, fancy going for the swim training - will take easy and cut short if having to dig too deep - happy days!

Have organised a waddle for tomorrow - prob 3.7 miles. Might do a little light gym work after. Will update progress,

Cheers,

D

PS: Booked another 10Km for 7th July - tarmac, some hills. Looking forward to the next session of 2km's...:mmm:

Btw how your running going? Any races coming up?

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 07-06-2010

keep it easy till the Thursday burn and all should be fine and dandy

TheEd
ps.. my running OK .. weight still around 90kg but 5km speed sub 5 minutes, so coming along OK

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 08-06-2010

Hey TheEd,

Lunchtime waddle: 3.7miles, Time 30:49. Forgot HR montior, nice to run without prob sub 130bpm Avg. Pace was 5:20/km

Ran with recovering Running Club chairman + 1 - they started slow and sped up to more than a waddle, stayed with them to Easy pace. Calves were very vocal, good stretch after, all OK.

Felt plenty of momentum throughout route, on the whole feeling all Good :yes:

Core session tom lunch with some stretching. Lookinf forward to Thursdays 3 mile X/Country blast, should I 'tonk' this or just go Steady/Pushinig it?

Will nurse the calves for rest of week. Still thinking of the bike to the race on Sunday - will check weather out and transition at venue,

Catch up soon,

Cheers,

D