Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 20-07-2010

I am a little concerned about doing the 2000's on sore quads, so if you able to give feedback tomorrow, we can discuss the Thursday session

this is a precaution to avoid breakdown

many thanks

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 21-07-2010

TheEd,

Quads recovered OK. However slightly un-recovered generally from y/day's run. Were reluctant to do the 30 mins, however the weather was wonderful so got out there and enjoyed it - Waddled round with no HR monitor, applied the talk test and got 3.7 miles (6Km) in 31:26.

Calves all good, quads fine. Just found it tougher than anticapted for the effort.

Did a light/med core session after as needed to get one in. Felt charged up afterwards.

Early night tonight to turn recovery corner in prep for tom's 4x2Km - have two work collegues joining me - they are tuning in to the your training strategy unconciously!!! :jester:

Do you feel I am ready for tomorrow? What sort of pace? My work colleages are aiming at Sub 45 min and Sub 48 min 10km times - were thinking of giving them pace times to work towards, what would recommend for them - 4 reps@4:35 & 3 reps@4:55/km respectively?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 22-07-2010

Hey TheEd,

4 x 2Km's@Lunch. Tough session, were feeling physically reluctant but mentally committed. Weather was challenging. Chose grassy track with steady incline for first 4/5 of first Km. After 1km tunred back to start point. A little rain dropped throughout and had a 15mph head wind on the first half of each rep up the incline. Recovered well back down incline with a boost from the wind - seem to get into the 4:00-4:10 range comfortably.

One work colleague joined me for first two and dropped out due to a calf strain. Carried on regardless. Hrate was down, struggled to keep above 160bpm so obviously not fully recovered. However cracked on a dug in. Calves held up really well and felt pretty good jogging back to base and for rest of afternoon - happy days.

Will update with actual splits later this eve, however each 2km rep was coming in around 8:30-45 (4:15-4:25/km avg) I reckon, more towards the latter towards the end! Reasonable considering the conditions.

Rest tomorrow, looking forward to it! All in all a positive session, glad I got it over with and looking forward to next time to see an improvement - fingers crossed!

Catch up again soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 23-07-2010

nice D ... now over the weekend, if you go for a long surf etc .. don't even consider running .. even if you had a rest Friday

Sunday it would be fine to curtail it to 1hr and no faster than 5 minutes per k

Monday there is no need for a run but be careful what activity you choose so that it does not tire the legs before the 1000m session

the 1000m session you should enjoy as it a great deal easier than the 2k's but don't now go run faster because 'you can' .. run the 1000's 10 seconds per k quicker than the 2k pace ... don't go faster, let the body absorb the consistency .. you need this more than anything .. getting a few consistent sessions under belt

once we past the 1000's you have the rest of the cycle to float through at not 'undermine' the easiness of the days

reel the days in slowly not looking too far ahead and the benefits will be massive

restraint is most important

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 23-07-2010

TheEd,

Y/day 2km splits - not that important but thought you might like to glance over them:

8:20/8:34/8:40/8:46

Btw that 1-mile handicap race I did a few weeks ago was 5:35!!! Very pleased with this especially as I didnt set out hard and still felt I had a little more in the tank towards the end. Must have got it about right then.

Re advice in last post - Thought I was scheduled for 'longest run - 'time on feet' up to 1Hr 30min' tomorrow? Was thinking about doing first thing in morn.

Might have a short surf this eve, there's some small swell coming in all weekend so if do get in, it wont be a strenuous workout, more relaxing than anything else. Conditions are also looking good for tomorrow morning as well.

If do run tomorrow was not planning to run on Sunday and instead do a little gym work before travelling (5hrs drive) - Only a short session though with some overall stretching.

Monday may just do a half hour waddle to save legs for the 1000's. Hear you on the pace, no faster than suggested. Will be restrained and absorb the consistency as described.

So, do I try and run the long one tomorrow. If I get a good nights sleep, reckon I could manage a nice slow 1hr Easy.

Sunday hit gym stretch and a little upper body work, pushups etc.

What say you coach?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 23-07-2010

this should be fine D

just monitor how things go as you run and don't ever extend yourself unnecessarily

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 25-07-2010

TheEd,

Just when I felt things were going to plan! Its 3:30am and have been unable to sleep so far tonight. Prob due to a mild migraine earlier today...:yes: This tends to happen...althought its been a long while since I last remember having one.

Hit surf Fri night for just one hour - small waves, nice to be out, bit of a workout on upper body, felt strong and had a good time. Felt sharp considering havent been in for over 4 weeks! Caught a couple of absolute peaches - rode down one wave face square on for 20 secs at high pace, must have covered nearly 100m - was priceless!

I should have sussed it here, really I should have felt rusty. The swimming training is having an impact. Had one beer Fri eve after surf - slightly late night about midnight. Seem to have trouble unwinding from the surf sessions if go in evenings, need to set up a new 'ritual' bath and stretch after without fail from now on.

Sat AM - woke early and surf was looking bit better. Felt tired, due to insufficient sleep. Anyhow decided to get in for an hour 8-9am. Slightly more of a workout - tired quickly got out promptly.

Home, chores, feeling vtired, then came the migraine. Asprin, 90 min nap at 1pm - turned corner, carried on with chores. Evening OK watched film, made the terrible error of having a coffee about 8pm - I never drinking coffee after 3pm and I mean never!!!

Bed at midnight...no chance of dropping off so far.

Right then - its all about the recovery. I have felt like this before when I havn't had a long bike or run - its definatley to do with not getting the nice slow, easy pace exercise in. Its the calming affect after those 2kms I needed. I should have prioritised the run this morning - live and learn.

Will get my head down soon. Tomorrow might go for a long bike as calves are little tight and then finish with a short waddle as I've grazed with my food today. May be I can turn this around for next weeks training.

I'm all ears to back off the schedule and re-group. We could 'postpone' the 6x1kms and I could just Waddle to re-find consistency - now I'm talking the langauge!!!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 25-07-2010

you should be fine for the 1k session on Tuesday, if you give yourself sufficient recovery

an easy 20 minute waddle tomorrow will determine the Tuesday session, here's hoping you bounce back

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 25-07-2010

TheEd,

Bike ride: 30km in 1:15:00-easy pace, 117bpm avg. Weather was glorious and warm, new route absolutley trememndous countryside-will use again. Felt good to be alive!!!

Had to pick up hire car from work After bike ride, so dropped bike off and hit gym for 30mins for stretch and a little upper body work-felt better for all this, felt like burnt off excess energy-Had 5 hrs drive this afternoon, at hotel now-goin to try the 20 min Waddle in morn, will update and assess situ for Tues as have another 4 hrs drive Tues afternoon...might do first thing in morn otherwise might be difficult to squeeze in Tues eve-Wed AM might be easier, would this be OK if comes to it?

Cheers,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 26-07-2010

Wed am should be gine, don't create too much stress about the session

enjoy

TheEd