Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 16-09-2011

TheEd,

Hows tricks? Had a man-cold here last few days, good timing as off feet with rehabilitating ankle. Last the sniffles today/tomorrow I reckon.

Ankle is healing nicely. Went for 1st 15-20 mins walk today. Left trainer slightly rubbing against last of small inflammation. Have been heating it every evening with a special heated ankle shoe. Every other day have been massaging to try and help get rid of scar tissue.

Have also been exercising it:

1) Up/down 20 reps (x2/3/day)
2) Rotations CW and CCW 20 reps (x2/3/day)
3) Calf raises: 20 reps (x1/day)
4) Toe/ankle extension loaded up one of those large elastic-bands, 20 reps.
5) Today did 1 set of single leg calf raises, 10 reps.

Going to just concentrate on the above until I can walk 20-30 mins without any noticeable soreness or inflammation. If things go well maybe a walk/run by end of next week?

Hows your training going? Is Wifey still progressing nicely?

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-09-2011

make sure to focus on your calf muscles to assist your ankle .. the calf muscle provides stability

give some more feedback during the week as light running interspersed with walking could be in order

TheEd
ps.. we rather busy with plans so exercise taking a back seat somewhat

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 26-09-2011

TheEd,

Ankle is steadily recovering. Managed two short waddles last week - took it very easy as were working away. Have put on a bit of weight, am now about 84/85 Kg's, were 81/82 at the start of summer!

Anyway, have been doing a reasonable amount of re-hab on the ankle. Hit the gym on Sunday with some rowing and a little weighting training with some core thrown in so keeping my hand in.

Went swimming this evening, could believe how much I couldn't use my legs due to the ankle still being a little sore! Had a busy weekend so going to see how feel before trying a short waddle tomorrow at work during lunch. Might rest and get out on Wed and do some core afterwards.

On the whole doing well, work has been a bit up in the air with some problems with my senior manager. Has subsided somewhat so now treading carefully with everything. Want to try and rally my training efforts before the year is out.

Hoping to get my running back up to speed for that fast 10km in November, however will have to limit and manage my expectations based on recent events - ho hum, onwards and upwards!

Catchup soon with more progress. Any tips or guidelines I should test my ankle with to benchmark progress?

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 27-09-2011

D .. the ankle does not sound good .. always focus on keep the calf muscles loose for one and then start drawing the alphabet with your big toe in the air .. capital letters

this could be quite tiring but gives the ankle a range of mobility and strengthening exercises

the test is to try stand on one leg with your arms outstretched and to see how the balancing goes .. then graduate to doing this with your eyes closed

you should wobble a great deal at first

let me know how it goes

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 27-09-2011

TheEd,

I tend to disagree with you saying my ankle doesn't sound good?! Are you sure that's not a mis-type?

Apologies I prob haven't mentioned that I have been doing sets of double and single leg calf raises ok, managing 10 reps per set, with 2-3 sets at time. Have also tried the alphabet exercise a few times - will go back to that. Will also try the eyes-closed balance exercise - is that with one leg?

Have also been massaging the outer part of the ankle joint quite rigorously to shift the scar tissue, this seems to be working really well as it feels less and less sore every other day - does this sound encouraging? I'd say it was...?

Going to try a very light waddle/walk tomorrow with some more calf raises and a core session,

Does this sound more encouraging?

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 28-09-2011

maybe too strong .. but it is taking quite a while

and yes, balancing on one leg

and yes, far more encouraging to hear that you able to do what you are doing Wink

onwards and forwards

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 28-09-2011

TheEd,

Got out at lunch - unbelievable weather here, same there I wonder? Very warm for this time of year.

Borrowed a friends very expensive ankle support. 6km in 38 mins. Was a trail/track loop. Felt OK, very out of shape though but glad to get round.

Ankle was fine, one or two tiny wobbles on some loose ground, however it never felt vulnerable, however I did take it very very easy. The ankle support definitely worked, might have to invest in one.

Did a short core session after and tried some calf raises, double and single legged. Early night tonight. Easy mountain bike tomorrow...

Catchup soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 29-09-2011

have you tried doing the alphabet yet?

this is a very good session for the ankle

drawing the alphabet with your big toe in capital letters

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. nice to be running and be sure to look after the calf muscles