Running Information Forums
10K Training Program Question - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training Program Question (/Thread-10K-Training-Program-Question)

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 05-08-2009

best to keep things easy for now D

hopefully things settle down soon so you can get back to constructive training

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 13-08-2009

Hows it going? Hope you are well...

Back in the fold at last, well, until the final phase of the bathroom next week!

Back to work today after 6 days away - done a v.slow 4miler with lady at work - took us 45 mins - was good to run really slow! Really enjoyed it. Did a few leg weights afterwards as I want to try and build in some resistance training to help with technique and power - how do you advise I build this in? Do you think I should wait until winter for this?

I'm toying on entering a fast, flat 10K race scheduled for Sunday 6th of Sept - it might not work out as other plans for a surf lesson may take precedent, however if it doesn't (which there is a high probability it won't due to conditions) I will run and therefore want to train up for it. On this basis I will need to start the 19 day cycle on the 19th August, basically next Wed.

I've also entered a 10k on Fri 18th Sept - am definatley down for this.

How do you reckon I should tick over until next Wed when I start the fresh 19 day cycle? Any suggestions?

Hope to hear from you soon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 14-08-2009

Hi D .. first off .. I wouldn't consider doing any form of resistance training until you can get through a cycle or 2 without complications

keep it simple for now by looking to get back to running without any complications .. once this is achieved then you can look at the next level of development

may be a good idea to slot in a 4k time-trial on a 400m track so we can have a little guidance as to where you are before jumping into the deep end of training

What say you?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 14-08-2009

Sounds good to me on the resistance training - not sure I can use a 400m track. I know where there is one nearby at a school, its grass and may not be marked out too well. Will check out and let you know asap.

Is there an alternative terrain?

There's some swell (waves) coming into tomorrow AM for first time for weeks! So hopefully going to do some surfing.

Was also planning to do a run tomorrow PM as well, what do you recommend I try out after my easy/slow 4 miler y/day?

Cheers,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 15-08-2009

The 4k route you choose is the one you should keep for this test, so we can see the level of improvement etc

so a rough guidance will be helpful

enjoy the surf

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 15-08-2009

Hi TheEd,

Havn't had chance to check the 400m track yet, hopefully later today.

Out of interest, if the track is a 'no go' shall I just use a flat 4K route that I previously used for the 1K's and 2K's? This tarmac route will roll out to 4k nicely.

On a slightly different note, how hard should I run the 4K? Should be near 10K race pace?

Thanks for all your advice,

Daryl

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 16-08-2009

Hi D .. the 4k on the tarmac should be fine however that could be a little tough on the legs

and as for effort ... this is a marker for you and it is used to measure a number of things, so we often recommend that it is an effort where you are not going into the zone where you are tapping into a massive mental effort but are running at level which is considered a time-trial

hopefully this explanation helps?

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 16-08-2009

TheEd,

Thanks for the guide on the time trial effort, will take note.

Went for a 30 mins easy this eve and checked out the grassy field I mentioned - there's no 400m track but I reckon its roughly 400m a lap with a v.slight undulation - I could use my Polar watch for working out the 400m splits and clock up x10 laps?

Is quite soft, I've got some spikes - should I use as the grass is a bit long and just go medium/hard pace as you described?

Might try this on Tuesday...?

Spksoon,

D

10K Training Program Question - TheEd - 17-08-2009

D .. maybe consider a route on the tarmac because if the grass is long then it will be a tad unusable in winter

and at the effort recommended

TheEd

10K Training Program Question - Hyperspace - 19-08-2009

TheEd,

Managed to do the 4km time trail today, was pretty tired and not up for it at all and I managed not to set my watch in k's so I couldn't measure the distance properly - came home and worked out it at about 3.5Km's at 16:31 - rubbish time if add enough time for another 1/2 k...18:31+?

Feelin pretty pissed off at the mo with general energy levels, running and trying to finish off the bathroom off - I am going to try and go out tomorrow to do Day 2 of the 19 day cycle as I've got to get ready for the next race,

Any advice much appreciated,

Daryl