Running Information Forums
Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute (/Thread-Am-I-now-too-Old-for-a-sub-35-minute)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 04-03-2014

Sunday ran the Payerne 10K in Switzerland, threw away the chance of a victory in the M55 and a 2014 PB. Decided to pull out the race just before the 5K point but after stopping my wife made me continue... I finished 2nd 12seconds behind the winner in 36:39
Did'nt have any problem with hamstring and could have kicked myself after : (

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 04-03-2014

still good going .. you should try to be easy on yourself, as it is a bit unfair to expect the 'mental toughness' to be there, try to create positive experiences but starting off at a more conservative pace and finishing stronger

this way you can have blocks of success with the knowledge of more to come

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 10-03-2014

For a 2nd week took it very easy
Monday-no run
Tuesday-no run (Informed local 20K and 5K race this coming Sunday 9th)
Wednesday-ran home from work 15.4K Average pace 4:01
Thursday-run into work soreness upper right hamstring took it very easy 7.22K
Friday-no run
Saturday-very easy 5.6K jog along canal path
Sunday-Race Huningue, 5K finished 2nd M50 in 17:31 slowed over the final 2K but really pleased with the time considering no structure, speed work etc for weeks.
And at present no reaction in the hamstring.

Would be ideal if I could start to build up again and achieve a decent block of training

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 13-03-2014

how things going BT .. are you using the 10k Build-up structure provided with the 10k programs?

Cheers TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 17-03-2014

Hi Ed, due to the hamstring problem I've been unable to follow any kind of routine. Last week I went on the track after work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday doing nothing more than steady 10k runs at 4:00 pace. Decided to rest up Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning was beautiful weather wise so went out for an hours run 15k. Could feel the hamstring/lower buttock during the run but not overly painful.
This morning woke with a pain in my lower back to the right difficulty in getting dressed and doing up my shoes. It looks like the problem I've been having is due to the Siatic Nerve. Really really fed up I was so looking forward to training and taking part in the up coming races : (

Any idea what's the best way to cure and return asap.. Tony

Update: Doctor's signed me off work for a week

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 19-03-2014

please let me know how it goes

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 28-03-2014

Stayed at home for 7 days, Tuesday the 1st after visiting the the Doctor was the worst, couldn't retrieve my phone from the floor to check the time, impossible to put on socks. But each day the pain lessened till I was able to ride bike into work this Monday. Now 12 days since it started and feel I could go out for an easy run, but a bit wary as I'd hate to aggravate anything.
Been checking out video's for core exercises, haven't tried any but everything points to these helping the problem.

Desperate to get back training, Tony

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 28-03-2014

in truth you won't lose the talent, form is temporary, class is permanent

when you return focus on recovery and monitor the problem continually

you can't race as much or train too many quality sessions, however you can still get results but not race as often

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 27-07-2014

March and April were a virtually right off regarding running several times I attempted a run but couldn't shake off the problem.

On returning to the UK for a weekend at the start of May managed a 12km easy trail run without a problem and slowly built on that throughout May.

June and July I've been averaging between 28-38 miles per week of steady running. Had a couple of Holidays in this period but managed to keep weight down, while on a holiday in Croatia 5th-17th July decided to entry a 10K on the 26th that would force me to get back into it on my return.

So last night in Colmar, France ran the Trophy of the Winemaker 10K it was hard work, faded badly over the 2nd half but happy to come home 2nd M50 with a time of 37:21
So I now feel its time to start the programme again.

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 27-07-2014

nice BT .. let's try balance things to avoid injury

get the core sessions right and then you can balance things thereafter and still get the results

Day 3 to Day 8 the crux of the training

do that right and you will achieve

onwards

and welcome back

TheEd