Running Information Forums
Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute (/Thread-Am-I-now-too-Old-for-a-sub-35-minute)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 16-09-2014

this is the first building block towards achieving the rhythm of the program

because of your experience, you will benefit a great deal from the 2k session and this should be felt when you race again

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 28-09-2014

Hi Ed, Very disappointing performance in todays half 1:20:31 almost two minutes slower than the last half in February. Slightly more demanding course but the way trainings been going I was expecting to get near, if not better.
I was really hanging in there at the end, several cramp spasms in my left foot from 18km threatening to stop me in my tracks. Not a very enjoyable race that I was really looking forward to. (full training schedule to Race last post)
12th overall 1st M55

I now have two weeks till a 10 miler in the UK, followed by a 10k the Sunday after in France, then the Lucerne Half the following Sunday.

Ed, How should I train through this 5 week period??

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 29-09-2014

BT .. things will get better, if you look through your sessions, not many of them were satisfying to you, so from that aspect you can say that your performance was on par with your training

as mentioned, things will get better

with 5 weeks to go, let's focus a little more on aerobic runs this week

and Thursday we mix up a session of 2 x 2k and 4 x 1k

then long run over weekend and we start the program from next week Tuesday (Day 1) and 2k session on the Thursday

will this work out for you, as we can plan to change the last week to get you feeling good

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 30-09-2014

had to rest up yesterday, managed only 3km today sore to touch thigh muscle. Will attempt 2x2k 4x1k on Thursday.. Next weeks 2km on the Thursday is that not a bit close to Race Day.. I'll only have Friday/Saturday to recover?

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 30-09-2014

sorry BT .. you won't do the 2k session next week .. we will discuss next week Tuesday's session after Thursday and we will roll down to the event

if you still feeling a little sore on Thursday then consider cutting the session out, will need feedback though

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 04-10-2014

Mon no run sore Vastus Lateralis and Rectus Femoris

Tue Still sore tried slow easy jog just 3.4km less painful towards the end

Wed After work rode to track for easy run, 8km 30:52 picked it up towards the end down the home straight, muscles easing up.

Thu Rode to track, planned to do session but didn't feel comfortable enough so decided to do an hour steady, 15.54km 1:00:52

Fri Rode track again attempted session started did 1x2km 7:07 but that was it 5.25km 21:13

Sat Easy run to track, 2x2km 6:59 and 7:07 then a slow 3:30 1km and couldn't continue session ran home disappointed 16.68km 1:09:07

Sun Rest

Week 31 miles just don't seem to be able to shake that race out my legs..going to use Foam Roller as much as possible, One week till the start of 3 races on consecutive Sundays.

Ed What would you suggest my routine should be..I really want to do well in these races. I cant imagine being on my feet for 10hours a day five days a week helps : (

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 05-10-2014

light running .. don't go anywhere over 30 minutes of running

if your legs come back, you will do well in the races

you just need to assist your legs in feeling better

don't test them .. let them be

eat more protein if you able to

they will come back

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 13-10-2014

Mon 6th Rode to track after work for 30min run slowly built up till I was pushing it down the home straight physically feeling much better Average Pace 3:52
Duration 33:09, Distance 8.58km

Tue 7th Easy run along Canal
38:57, 8.94km

Wed 8th Rode to track after work warm-up then 8x400m 4x200m
77, 77, 76, 76, 78, 78, 76, 78 then 39, 36, 36, 35
39:11, 9.34km

Thu 9th No Run

Fri 10th Rode to track 20minute easy run then 6x1minutes with 1minute easy run between followed by easy run. Evening flight to UK
40:41, 10.05km

Sat 11th No Run.

Sun 12th Tiptree 10 Mile Road Race incl Essex Championship Finished 19th, 3rd M50 (surprised no M55 Category for a Championship Race) and Bronze Medal
Time: 59:01 missed out on going to the top of the UK leader board by 7 seconds.. Felt far better than I have in the previous two races.

Mon 13th No Run, Flight back

Tue 14th After work easy run along Canal, slight soreness.
44:42, 10.51km

10k this coming Sunday Ed how should I take this week? Know I haven't run since race but feel ok

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - TheEd - 14-10-2014

good to hear you bouncing back

last week of 3 week cycle before event this week

Tuesday: instead of 400's do .. 3 x 5 minutes @ 10k pace .. concentrate on excellent form with a 2 to 3 minute easy in-between

you should NOT bust a gut but instead fine tune the form and feel good factor

if event on Sunday you can move session to Wednesday and then continue with run down to event

on we go

TheEd

Am I now too Old for a sub 35 minute - BlackburnTony - 19-10-2014

Tue Easy run along Canal 10.51km, 44:43

Wed During day started to feel like a Cold coming on..after work Fartlek on track 20mins easy then 3x5mins 2mins easy inbetween

Thur Still feeling like full blown Cold about to take hold..Easy run along Canal 10.63km, 46:38

Fri Track busy, not feeling great rode home - Rest Day.

Sat Still slight head cold, but major illness not appearing.. so rode track and ran easy 7.5km just to buck me up, and see if tomorrows possible. Early Night with Lemsip and Honey

Sun Up at 5:50am, still feeling same, after borrowing a car for the weekend decided to still go the race.. Lovely breezy Autumnal morning, after warm-up burning up in toilets, thought about not starting but decided to start further back to get a easier/slower start, by 2km didn't feel my best, at 3km wanted to drop out..then the group ahead started to break up giving me a couple of runners to chase down.. before I knew it I was going past the 7km point ..might as well make through to the end now.

Finished with a 1st M50 (again no M55 category) in 36:24

In bed with a lemsip and honey now and more of a Cold than I've had all week.. I'm sure a sub 36:00 would have been on if!

Now I just want to get healthy for this coming Sundays Half