Running Information Forums
In between programmes - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: In between programmes (/Thread-In-between-programmes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

In between programmes - TheEd - 07-05-2014

before the event, it is wise to cut back

what are you planning for your last days before the event?

TheEd

In between programmes - keith_w - 07-05-2014

Nothing really planned. I've got plenty of time and I'm off so I can fit in any runs as required - be happy to take your advice and input

Keith

In between programmes - keith_w - 11-05-2014

Hello Ed

Life screwed up my plans a little and I ended up doing the Port Sunlight 10K as opposed to Market Drayton as the logistics of arriving back at 3:30 am and getting some sleep made it a preferable choice.

Made it back from WOTN at 3:30 and up at 8am as I really wanted a benchmark of how the training's going. Weather was pants - very blustery wind and rain that fortunately stopped just before the start. Course was undulating with lots of direction changes and I struggled to get a rhythm going. Second 5K was better and I was able to speed up and pass quite a few in the last 3K and post fastest splits. Time was slightly slower than I'd have hoped, but some of that can be put down to the headwinds.

Consistency was way better than last time as well.

Distance: 10.00 km
Time: 48:24
Avg Pace: 4:50 min/km
Elevation Gain: 17 m
Avg HR: 168 bpm

Split Time Distance Avg Pace

1 7:51.3 1.61 4:53
2 7:51.4 1.61 4:53
3 7:51.2 1.61 4:53
4 7:53.7 1.61 4:54
5 7:47.3 1.61 4:50
6 7:43.5 1.61 4:48
7 1:26.4 0.32 4:33

(Sorry watch was still set to mile splits)

So onward with the training. Should I continue with the second cycle or start a new one now Ed?

Thanks

Keith

In between programmes - TheEd - 12-05-2014

you can start the next cycle now .. hopefully lots learned over the last few weeks which can be applied to the future

Day 1 start Tuesday ..

how are you feeling

TheEd

In between programmes - keith_w - 12-05-2014

Hi The Ed

How am I feeling?

On the positive side I enjoyed the run itself, felt much more 'in control' if that makes sense and was very happy with my resultant consistent pace. I was also pleased to finish strongly with a faster second 5K and the last 2 Km as my fastest splits suggesting I'm getting stronger. Only a couple of other runners passed me in the last 3K while I must have passed 15 - 20 and that felt good.

On the downside I was disappointed with the time. I knew I wouldn't get a new PB each race, but I felt faster and stronger going into the race which made it a bit harder to accept. I've tried to analyse why and the biggest reason for me was that given the nature of the course (including 2 hairpin bends per lap) I never really 'found' my steady target pace which was meant to be around 4:40/Km and my Garmin wasn't able to give me a pace to work at ranging as it did from 4:10 to 5:05 over the lap. Maybe with more experience I would 'feel' it better?

There was a very strong, blustery wind into your face and times and a few inclines which also made the pacing difficult. I've no idea how much the lack of sleep might have affected my performance?

After my last race I was very stiff the next day; today I feel no different than after a training run which does raise the nagging thought could I have gone harder? Guess I'll never know.

I'd welcome any advice/suggestions/input/direction please.

I'll start the third cycle tomorrow and keep building

Thanks again

Keith

In between programmes - TheEd - 12-05-2014

As you develop further with the program, you will gain more confidence and you will approach things differently

we normally work on a 3 day recovery after a race, so if you recover well it means your aerobic development is at the right level

on we go and enjoy

TheEd
ps.. the 2k session gives a great amount confidence as you develop further

In between programmes - keith_w - 13-05-2014

Hi TheEd

Moderate Easy 30 Mins today. Post race recovery to shake out any residual stiffness after Sunday's race but at a slightly increased pace. Lovely day for a run, dry and sunny but with a strong breeze.

Distance: 5.81 km
Time: 31:30
Avg Pace: 5:24 min/km
Elevation Gain: 114 m
Avg HR: 156 bpm
Max HR: 166 bpm
Avg Run Cadence: 168 spm
Max Run Cadence: 186 spm

Plan is to start the next cycle tomorrow with the 60 min run - do the 2K's on Friday as it's a lighter day in work, the long run on Monday as I'm timing Chester Half on Sunday and the 1K's on Wednesday if that's OK

Thanks

Keith

In between programmes - TheEd - 14-05-2014

if you unable to fit the cycle in exactly then we can't do much about it, however as you develop further you should focus on getting Day 3 to Day 8 exactly .. this gives the most benefits to the program

here's to it all working out

TheEd
ps.. thank you for the donation, much appreciated

In between programmes - keith_w - 14-05-2014

Hi TheEd

Totally understand about the cycle - just been a busy month with races every weekend, but after Sunday it eases off for a while. Might it be worth doing a base programme for a week and starting the next cycle next Thursday as I can do it 'by the book' then? Which do you think would be most beneficial in the long term?

Donation was a pleasure - thanks you for all the support/advice and encouragement.

Started the new cycle with 60 - 70 mins easy distance. Not done this route for ages and started off feeling brilliant. Plan was to raise the HR a few beats as suggested. Maybe too fast as I struggled up the second climb and didn't have the pace to finish as strongly as I'd have liked, but still managed my second best time for the route only 10 seconds off my PB.

Distance: 11.76 km
Time: 1:07:58
Avg Pace: 5:46 min/km
Elevation Gain: 240 m
Avg HR: 157 bpm
Max HR: 168 bpm

onwards.........

Keith

In between programmes - keith_w - 15-05-2014

Gloriously sunny day so went for a moderate 30 mins and just let my legs set the pace...

Distance: 6.52 km
Time: 33:58
Avg Pace: 5:13 min/km
Elevation Gain: 82 m
Avg HR: 158 bpm
Max HR: 168 bpm
Avg Run Cadence: 172 spm
Max Run Cadence: 182 spm

So the dreaded 2Km's tomorrow - hope its a bit cooler :duh: