Running Information Forums
Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Aiming for sub 40 min 10km (/Thread-Aiming-for-sub-40-min-10km)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - TheEd - 28-12-2014

All the best for the season and for 2015

roll into the next race cycle and then we can look to do the next stages of the programs

have you a list of races and goals for 2015?

TheEd

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Tjutapai - 31-12-2014

Hi TheEd,

Started new cycle on Tues, 5x2k tomorrow (Thurs).

Reflected on your great questions re goals, hope this reply isn't too long.

There are plenty of 10-15km races most months throughout the year, although Jan and Feb are a little light on. The next 10k is on Jan 18th and fits in nicely for end of this cycle. Weekly 5km Parkruns are also always on offer.

In general, my priorities revolve around an ongoing committment to a 4 week project in June/July each year. A group of us walk 500km through the desert with Aboriginal elders in their homelands.

Starting running again was an enjoyable way for me to get fit for these trips each year. I always loved running from a young age, and it has been soo great to connect with that again. Arbitrary goals times etc are secondary to ongoing enjoyment and staying fit, strong and healthy until I'm an old man.

Having said that, no doubt the competitive juices get flowing when racing and I would love to run faster!

So, I feel realistic goals for 2015 would like to run sub 20 min for 5km and sub 42 min for 10km. Longer term would love to go sub 40 min for 10km, and even longer term (2 years maybe) would be to do some odd longer races e.g. half and marathon.

I guess I need to make a plan that accommodates my trip in June/July. It will take me a little while to get back to speed from August onwards.

Thanks,
Phil.

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Tjutapai - 01-01-2015

Hi TheEd,

Completed 5x2k this morning. Tough way to start the new year! Died on the last 2 again. Probably a combination of the heat, legs a little heavy from the hilly 5k race on Sat and might have a bug in system from kids colds etc last week.

New Cycle
Tue Day 1: 70:02 | 9.57k | 7:19/k | 149AHR | - Very, very hot!

Wed Day 2: 30:01 | 4.37/k | 6:53/k | 145AHR |

Thurs Day 3: 5x2k @ 4.25/k

8:47 | 181 | 132 |
8:48 | 190 | 153 |
8:48 | 193 | 165 |
9:09 | 193 | 165 |
9:22 | 193 | 163 |

Phil.

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - TheEd - 01-01-2015

OK good to know what direction you moving in, will leave you to decide when and where, and then you can let us know and we shall plan accordingly

everything will come in its own time, doing the Park Runs could be fun

as for the 2k session, this will get better as you develop, would be good to get a training partner for that

nice going getting the session done despite getting weaker in the end, would be good to monitor morning pulse so you can check that you have not indeed got a 'bug'

TheEd
ps.. Happy New Year and all the best for 2015

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Tjutapai - 02-01-2015

Hi TheEd,

Considering my trip in June/July, I was thinking I could target a couple of 10k races around May/early June before I go away. Then pick things up again when I get back and target some more races towards the end of the year. I guess that's where your advice would be helpful - how many races to run in a year, when to train hard, try to race fast etc., then when to back off/rest.

In May there are two 10k races, May 3rd and May 17th, and one on June 7th. Between now and then there are around 1-2 10k races/month that I can find.

Probably do have a slight bug. No symptoms other than feeling less than 100% and pulse was 68 this morning. Normally around 56-60.

I'm enjoying the program. It's challenging, and I can feel the body trying to adapt. Interesting process to observe, especially when you throw one's mind into the mix! I'm ok with being patient and doing the work until things come together.

All the best,
Phil.

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - TheEd - 02-01-2015

Not sure whether you have read about MMS

http://www.time-to-run.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286

I wrote a little blog article about him as well. He went through numerous hassles but stuck to the program. Went from a 52 minute 10k to sub 40 over a period of a few years

so patience often is well rewarded

if your am pulse is up, we recommend you do light running currently until the pulse returns to normal

20 to 30 minute runs to get things stabilised, once pulse back to normal then we can chat about returning to training proper

on we go

TheEd
ps.. unless you feel on top of things?

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Tjutapai - 03-01-2015

Hi TheEd,

Seems the bug is on the way out. Wasn't much, just felt a little off and it just knocked me around for a few days from Mon-Thurs. Pulse was 62 this morning and I did my long run and all ok.

Rested yesterday which helped and feel 100% today, so all good, for now.

Sat Day 5: 90:01 | 13.27k | 6:47/k | 147 AHR |

I have read about MMS. Great work and commitment. Very inspiring and I hope I can do something similar in time to come!

Cheers,
Phil.

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - TheEd - 05-01-2015

Great to know Phil

the mentioning of MMS is with the intention to inspire Wink

onwards

TheEd

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Tjutapai - 06-01-2015

Hi TheEd,

Ran the 6x2k this morning. On the 5th rep felt my right calf getting a little sore, so didn't go on and do the 6th rep. It's been a little sore during the day today, don't feel like I've strained it, but might be worth a couple of light days just to be sure.

Been very hot here, 44 Celsius yesterday. Even in the early mornings when I'm training it has been mid 20s. Seems to push my heart rate up a good 5-10 bpm in this weather. It's been a long time since I've trained hard like this in the heat!

Tues Day 8: 6x1k R60 @ 4:15/k

4:13 | 179 | 146 |
4:13 | 184 | 156 |
4:14 | 189 | 161 |
4:14 | 191 | 163 |
4:14 | 193 | 165 |

Cheers,
Phil.

Aiming for sub 40 min 10km - Tjutapai - 08-01-2015

Hi TheEd,

Turns out the calf isn't too good. :rip: Haven't run since Tues and calf has been tight and sore. Saw my osteo tonight, who has been a great help with my back the past couple of years. Don't know if I can translate the lingo, but seems the top of right tibia hasn't been sitting/aligned properly and therefore not moving freely. Running has then lead to a build up of stress in my calf.

I broke my left tibia badly several years ago and my right leg has probably been taking more stress with the running.

She worked on it tonight and already I can walk a lot more freely. Need a couple of weeks off running again and then start over.

I'll get it sorted out and be in touch then.

Cheers,
Phil.