Running Information Forums
Sub 35:00 10km - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35:00 10km (/Thread-Sub-35-00-10km)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 08-06-2015

you should cover over 18k in your 90 minute long run, even at set pulse

it is keeping things consistent and learning to take things easy in-between the scheduled intensity, once you get the rhythm of the cycles and understand the development, results will follow

you coming along pretty nicely

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 11-06-2015

It was miserable, cold and wet but have the first 5x2km session done. Splits good, was petrified but happy with how it went. Splits were:
7:02
7:00
7:01
6:57
6:56
Felt in control but made a point of not pushing to the brink, wanted to have something in the tank at the end so very happy with how it went.
I didn't wear the HR monitor, got home late and wanted to get a bit of running before sunset done so rushed and didn't look for it.

Will see how the 90min long run goes on Saturday

By the way, i didn't manage to go out for an AM run on Tuesday, we are getting load shedding in the evening and it's messing my evening routine, which unfortnately means I have a lot of prep to do for me and my son in the morning. My plan though is to run in to work. I catch the Gautrain to Joburg and have 45-60min to kill before work starts when I get to Park Station. If I leave a change of clothing in the office I can jog from the station and get in at least 8km. That puts less pressure on me in the mornings with the school run etc

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 12-06-2015

good stuff Ntutu, all moving in the right direction

we will sort the new blog out from today and over the weekend

nice going

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 13-06-2015

Another chilly run this morning, 3°C when I started, didn't look I was dressed for running on the African continent, more like somewhere in Northern Europe Big Grin

Anyway, got through 19.3km in 90min, jogged another 700m to make it a round 20 for my logbook. I'm really feeling good at the moment. Started very slow outside 5min/km and just coasted the whole way. Checked my pulse at around 13km when I got to a red robot and it was just over 140, 24 beats for a 10s count (can't find my HR monitor, need to seriously dig around and find it). Felt like I could do another 20-30min comfortably which is a change as the long run is my weak spot.

Next week Tuesday is a public holiday so should be able to get an AM run in plus the 6x1km in the afternoon and Thursday will jog from the station, have mapped a 9km route out and will do the 1 hour in the evening. I assume the AM runs are as easy as can be, like a recovery run?

Have a good weekend,
Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 13-06-2015

Hi Ntutu, makes for good reading ... all looking promising for future results

ideally you should work up to 25km as a long run (minimum for what is planned)

spot on regarding the AM runs . easy as can be

have a great weekend

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 14-06-2015

How would you advice I build up to 25km. I have in theory 3 more cycle left plus a two week run down to the half marathon. I say in theory because I had planned the half marathon for 19 September, but the City2City ultra marathon is happening the following weekend on 27 September. It was canceled last year but this year it's on and running from Johannesburg to Pretoria which means the half marathon will be run in Pretoria. If it's the same course, I ran 1:25:28 in 2012 off very little experience, so I'm sure I can run well. It's a decent course first half is hilly but then from 11km it's all downhill. (I will post the course profiles for the two races) That would give me four cycles. So I can do say anther 20km next cycle, then 22-23km, then two 25km runs before City2City?

I have another question, sorry this is turning into another longish post. Do you have experience with middle distance training. After this current block of training, there isn't much left for the rest of the year. I hate racing in December, it's too hot erc, but there is a street mile happening on 6 December, so 10 weeks after City2City. Is it possible to train for that event in that time, I ran 5:03 last year but was not trained for it. Then that allows me to do a buidup phase in December and January.

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 15-06-2015

Hi Ntutu . what we should focus on more currently is the time you spending on feet, if we increase the long run by 10 to 15 minutes, we should over the next couple of cycles get to 25km without too many problems

will explain more regarding this later, however I am sure you will be able to work out what I am saying, when relating training to pulse on the long run etc

To run a mile off the 10k training programs is easy, we can deal with that as we improve in other areas. Do not look to train specifically for the mile but instead throw a few more different sessions in that will assist in coping for the event

more on this later

hopefully this helps

on we go

TheEd
ps.. should get a chance later today to finalise look of new blog

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 15-06-2015

That makes perfect sense, juts increase the long run to 1h40, 1h45 etc and the distance will take care of itself, especially as I adapt to the training and pace naturally improves at the specified effort level.

And on the street mile, I wasn't too keen on drastically changing my training so that makes me feel better. Will discuss the adjustments for that closer to the time then Smile

No rush with the blog Smile

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 16-06-2015

Just wanted to alert you to something that I've noticed that could be a complication in early July. WITS hosts standard 8-10 students over the June/July holidays every year and our department does the biology/chemistry laboratory work and I'm in charge of setting it up. This means early mornings and late afternoons, and this year will be mostly affect 6 July to 9 July.

I'm planning to race on 27 June, end of this cycle, thereafter I was planning a race on 25 July, so a 4 week cycle. The trouble week would therefore fall on days 7-10 of the cycle but even I find the time to do the sessions I remember from last year that it's going to be a stress. Should I write off that week, so do week 1 and at least get in the 5x2km and 90 minute long run, wing week 2, then do damage limitation until the 25th for the remaining two weeks? From there I have another 2 cycles to the flat 10km race in September and I don't forsee any complication there.

We'll obviously deal with it when the time comes, but unfortunately life does get in the way sometimes!

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 16-06-2015

do week 1 , and then we pick it up after the 'stress week' . during that week you can do things when you can fit it in

at the weekend we can consider a paced run, and then take it up from there to the race

TheEd