Running Information Forums
Sub 35:00 10km - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35:00 10km (/Thread-Sub-35-00-10km)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 03-08-2015

how exactly are you feeling currently?

are you over the 'malaise'

TheEd
ps.. my routine disrupted due to being on the road, so to say

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 03-08-2015

Not a problem Smile

I'm feeling alright, probably 95-98%, over the cold/flu symptoms and just normalizing again. I managed an hour run on Sunday which felt alright, thinking I'm ready to get into a regular routine again

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 03-08-2015

OK .. I would like the following for tomorrow

3 x 1k @ 3.20 per k with 2 minute Rest followed by fast last 1k aim towards 3.10

focus on form and relaxing at speed

after feedback we can discuss what follows

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 06-08-2015

Sorry for the lack of updates, haven't been in front of a PC since Monday and the forum is very fiddly on a mobile phone. I had to do the session on Wednesday, Tuesday was a hectic day so I got in a shortish run 47min. It was nighttime run so didn't want to chance faster running.

So session went well as you saw on Facebook
3:19
3:05 (watch says 3:04 but I round the numbers up)

This was with 2min standing rest. I don't know why, i was very nervous for the session even though I do those paces for the 6x1km. Legs still feel a bit heavy even though my lungs are fine, like I'm lacking neuromuscular fitness. The 3:04 was hard. I was uncertain about running that quick so I think I pushed hard for the first 500m then was expecting to fall away back towards 3:10-3:15 but ended up holding the pace till the end.

Today just doing a recovery day, ran 35min this morning slow and will do 45-50min at recovery pace also slow this evening then rest up tomorrow, feeling very disjointed without my routine for the 10 weeks before the last 10km.

Looks like I'll have to do my local parkrun this weekend, won't be able to drive down to Benoni, had to send car back in for some more repairs and will probably only get it lunch time Saturday. It's a fast course though but not flat so will see how it goes, have actually run it quicker than the flat course in Benoni but I think that's because it's all paved, it's round the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria but there have been a few sub 17s and think the course record is sub 16 actually. Has a nasty hill from 2.5-3.5km but you come straight back down it at a frightening pace. Last time I did it my last km was 3:10 on an 18:15 5km! First 2.5km are flat.

Hope travels are going well

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 07-08-2015

look to go through the first 2k @ 3.20 per k pace

once you hit the hill, focus on form, shorten your stride, once you close towards the top of the incline start pumping your arms to gain momentum so you can use the downhill to the finish

take one long stride and then shorten your stride, to go faster, simply nod your head to gain further speed

try bang the last 500m

enjoy and good luck

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 09-08-2015

Had a so-so run yesterday, got a serious case of runner's amnesia about the difficulty of the course Big Grin Will definitely have to find a flatter route!

[Image: CL4Jq1FWgAA5Zf-.png]

I dwaddled a bit in the 2nd km not sure why the split was so slow and I could finish faster. It's a bit tricky because on the way down there were so many runners coming up and they took up the whole road so was avoiding people.

Final time was 17:36, splits were:
3:17
3:32
3:55 (nett gain in elevation is 41 metres!)
3:46
3:06

I was a bit disappointed to not have managed to go through 2km in 6:40, should have gone sub 17:30 at least. Legs still feel heavy at pace though, like I'm lacking zip, and I've narrowed it down to my quads. Breathing didn't feel any harder than it should for a hard 5km but my quads feel like I'm lugging lead weights when I hit sub 3:30/km pace but oddly not at really fast paces like for doing the 400s or that 3:00-3:10/km range. Can't understand the feeling, never experienced that, cardio has always been the limiter for me and even when I was slower, running 39min for a 10km, doing 400s at 75s was never difficult. Even now in training I'm finding the longer stuff a lot easier and enjoyable, like cruising at a steady pace, 10km pace + 1min and even that feels effortless. But 5km and 10km pace is not and it's all in the quads. Just an observation, I hope I'm not overanalysing things.

Where do we proceed to from here. I had entered a 15km for next Saturday, but wasn't anticipating the changes in the last two weeks so I'm a bit off-kilter with the program at the moment. I can defer it or just look to do it as just a general run, what do you think?

I haven't entered any races after that, can usually enter on the day anyway, mostly pre-enter to get a free race tee Smile. I'm thinking of delaying my half marathon, even though I seem to be running better at distances above 10km in the past 12 months or so, but just not sure if I'm mentally ready for a half marathon but that's still 6 weeks away.

Oh, and I'm relocating work to Pretoria from September, to TUKS, so that should make training a lot easier in terms of time management. Currently spend 90 minutes commuting each way but will have a modest 14.5km to cover to TUKS, and as far as I know, I should be able to access the sports facilities there, including their tartan track Smile

Hope you've had a great weekend

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 10-08-2015

don't read too much into it, at least you back running

run down to the 15k as though you are racing and we can move things on from there

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 15-08-2015

Sorry for lack of updates, had a busy week but ran through to the 15km as you suggested, I did the 3x5min session @ 15km pace instead of 10x400m on Tuesday.

I had a good run this morning. I think I'm getting back into the right frame of mind. I'm thinking long term again and not worried about each and every race and the seconds here and there. Body is absorbing more training than it's done and the breakthrough will come.

Anyway, today I ran my 3rd fastest 15km, 55:50, only 25s slower than my PB in May and it's my fastest time away from that particular course. This route was a lot hillier though, 186m elevation gain v 98m elevation gain for my PB course.

My splits:
3:31
3:39
3:35
3:39
3:33 (5km 17:58)
3:26
3:44
3:37
3:55
4:05 (10km 36:45)
4:02
3:48
3:41
3:36
3:44
0:15 (Finish 55:50)

And here's the route profile for reference
[Image: CMcBHmnUEAE9xCY.png]

Overall I'm very happy

Have a good weekend

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 16-08-2015

what I wanted the most was that you move on from the setback and looked forward with confidence, and this was the reason I wanted you doing last week's run and racing yesterday

so congrats on getting back on the 'horse'

now to focus forward

what's next?

TheEd
ps.. congrats . there is a lot more still there

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 17-08-2015

I've got a 10km on the 5th, 3 weeks. I had penciled it down as a key race but I'm just roll with it and not place too much importance on it. With the change in job coming up, my schedule is potentially messy, have a lot of loose ends to tie up before my last but will find time to run, so I'll roll with the program until them but won't fret too much if I miss a specific day, but I usually know in advance where the scheduling hiccup will be so I can plan for it.

After that I had planned to do a half marathon on September 19th but I'm thinking now of shifting that to the 26th if only to get another full 3 week cycle in. Originally I had planned to end this training block on the 19th so had planned to sort of taper down but I'm feeling neither mentally or physically fatigued so I believe I can work through a few more 3 week cycles. I can do a 10km on the 19th instead, train through it and use it as a tempo for the 26th? Would the rest of the sessions stay the same with half marathon in mind?

Cheers