Running Information Forums
Sub 35:00 10km - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35:00 10km (/Thread-Sub-35-00-10km)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 17-08-2015

if you able to get you day 3 to Day 8 in without many problems then you can race the 10k and 2 weeks later the 21km

the long run needs to be increased, for the sake of confidence towards the 21km

your recovery from races should be quicker the added aerobic you have been doing

hopefully we can still slot that sub 17 5km on a decent course in sometime

no need to do a 3 week schedule to the 21k, we can do a 2 week run down changing a few sessions

lets see how things work out, as there is a lot more to come, it just has to click, and you should move onto a new level. Just don't 'overanalise', just do it

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 17-08-2015

Cool perfect thanks, I'll stick to the previous race schedule then, 10km on 5th September then a 2 week rundown to the half marathon. I was planning on doing a 25km or 2 hour run this weekend. I should be able to stick to the Day 3-8 portion, the disruptions come either side of that!

Regarding recovery, yes I've noticed how much better my recovery is, my legs feel so much better after this 15km compared to the one I did in May where I was broken for 3 days after. That's been the best change for me with the extra aerobic work, that session to session recovery and also my strength at sub threshold levels, anything slower than half marathon pace (3:45-3:50/km) is a nothing pace now and I feel like I can go on forever. If I switch off on a run and don't consciously slow down I find myself hitting 4:15/km without even realising1 Hopefully that strength will start to carry into the faster paces!

Regarding the 5km there's a new parkrun in Boksburg that's just started, and they had a course record two weeks ago, 15:35, so it's a quick one, it's a mix of gravel, trail and tar as opposed to grass. I want to go down and learn the course, then give it a go, maybe end of September or early October after the half marathon before it gets too hot?

[Image: CMm4YAOUYAAntfu.png]

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 22-08-2015

Hi TheEnd,

Had a frankly rubbish week. Thursday set out to do the 2k reps but was out of sorts. I've had issues with allergies this year especially in Joburg so assumed it was that. Anyway did my warm up, very sluggish and then just couldn't get to pace so I canned the session and did an easy run instead. Friday felt terrible and today have been laid low in bed. No fever thankfully but congestion and a headache.

I think I need to chill now and just do what i can, the balance between work/life and play is not in my favour at the moment. I have two more weeks working in Joburg then things should get easier. Just think things have tipped over now. I've hardly been sick for years and now been sick three times since June, probably as much as previous 2 years Sad

Writing off the race in two weeks, I'm still gonna run if I'm healthy but no use worrying about times at the moment

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 22-08-2015

don't write yourself off so easily

give yourself rest and believe in your ability

no rush back 'training wise'

you said things would be out of sorts now, so let it be, and play it 1 day at a time

remain positive

TheEd
ps.. what is with TheEnd Wink

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 23-08-2015

Oops haha. Missed that completely, shows where my mind was Big Grin

I think I might have also come back too soon after being sick from last race in July. Maybe it's just the body trying to wrangle some more rest out of me. I'll take Monday off as well and see how I feel on Tuesday but I'm looking at getting back on Wednesday, that will be 5 days rest.

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 25-08-2015

how things going?

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 26-08-2015

Being ultra cautious. Taken 5 days off, think I'm about 95-99% at the moment. Debating doing an easy 30min today slow just to get the legs again or should I just wait until the weekend?

Cheers

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 27-08-2015

Just to let you know, I went for an easy run on my stock recovery route, a gentle rolling 6.5km out and back, very comfortable 31:15 so all seems well, no alarms. I'm gonna do the route again today, rest tomorrow and then use the weekend to just get some decent time on feet. Then I guess I just do the race week next week and see how it goes for the race in 5th September?

Sub 35:00 10km - TheEd - 27-08-2015

you should be OK .. on the weekend look to do a few light strides and at least 90 seconds of quicker running with good form

do not test yourself, looking for form, just go through the process

on we go

TheEd

Sub 35:00 10km - NtutuL - 27-08-2015

The 90 seconds fast running, I don't quite follow, something like fartlek, so 90s with a light recovery jog in between or session type. So I would do a warm up, some strides and then a few 90 seconds reps, then a cool down?